autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Just starting out and need advice!

I'm looking to start cheap as I will only be focusing primarily on a local customer base to start. Because of the weather here in Chicago I will focus mainly on interiors until the weather decides it wants to cooperate. I figure I would like to start with a vacuum, steamer, and possibly a hot water extractor. Can anyone recommend what machines and products to use that are ideal for starting out? Any advice is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Just starting out and need advice!

Great information. I'm already taking the steps to get the license and vistaprint was going to be my first stop for business cards. I'll review all the links and try to soak it all up. Thanks again for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just starting out and need advice!

Evan covered the bases nicely. If you have any specific questions after reading up let us know!
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

DBA, CPA to get everything situated, insurance, business plan, business cards, website, company shirts, yelp, facebook, youtube, etc...

If you're gonna focus on interiors: Compressor if you want to use the Tornador, XV5000, Mytee HP60, Portable Cable w/ brush attachment, Detailers 8-gal vacuum, leather cleaner & coating, Chemspec Traffic Lane Cleaner & All Fiber Textile Rinse, fabric protectant, pet hair brush, and a generator

If you have the funds of course and want to take interior cleaning seriously

Could offer these services:
    Mold removal
    Pet hair removal
    Odor removal
    Leather cleaning and protecting
    Full interior deep cleaning
    carpet shampooing

or you could start off with a low foaming APC, Little Bissell Pro Heat Green Machine, McCulloch steamer, small vacuum from Sears, and a brush

the 1st option is (completely guessing) ~$4500 and the second option (guestimating) ~$400
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    DBA, CPA to get everything situated, insurance, business plan, business cards, website, company shirts, yelp, facebook, youtube, etc...

If you're gonna focus on interiors: Compressor if you want to use the Tornador, XV5000, Mytee HP60, Portable Cable w/ brush attachment, Detailers 8-gal vacuum, leather cleaner & coating, Chemspec Traffic Lane Cleaner & All Fiber Textile Rinse, fabric protectant, pet hair brush, and a generator

If you have the funds of course and want to take interior cleaning seriously

Could offer these services:
    Mold removal
    Pet hair removal
    Odor removal
    Leather cleaning and protecting
    Full interior deep cleaning
    carpet shampooing

or you could start off with a low foaming APC, Little Bissell Pro Heat Green Machine, McCulloch steamer, small vacuum from Sears, and a brush

the 1st option is (completely guessing) ~$4500 and the second option (guestimating) ~$400
    I would definitely love to start with the first option but will opt for the cost effective second option most likely lol! Basically because I'm going to be realistic and I'll just be starting out and building a customer base. As I see more success (hopefully) I will upgrade my tools. I've seen some great work done with the Bissell Pro Heat but the only drawback is that it leaves more water in the carpet and upholstery than if i was using a hot water extractor. So I think it will be the McCulloch steamer, Bissell Pro Heat, and I saw a 5 HP / 4 Gal wet dry vac at Menards for less than $70 which I think is sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

you'll also need a bunch of cheap towels, leather cleaner, glass cleaner/towels, carpet brush, interior brushes for the nooks/crannies, and a couple other things

the Bissel is great, but if you're gonna do full-on interiors, you'll waste a lot of time dumping the tank, filling it back up, etc... the water is warm, hose is super short, psi sucks, etc...

If I were you, I would invest in a descent steamer (vx5000 is probably one of the cheaper ones) because its a lot more versatile, cuts down time, you can use it to effectively clean carpets, seats, leather, etc... time is money. Imagine doing an entire SUV with filthy leather seats, trashed mats, and pen ink on the headliner
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com