autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Debating whether or not to start a side job

Hello everyone. I have always been an avid detailer and I have been toying with the idea of starting a weekend job detailing cars. I wanted to start off simple, creating some flyers and seeing where it goes. I was thinking some simple packages, and possibly a bi-monthly package as well. Here are my questions.

What are the most economical bulk products that would provide the customer with a good finish. I am starting simple, probably daily drivers. So I was thinking a good AIO/cleaner wax. Possibly Meg's? For the package I was thinking Wash,degrease rims, condition tires, dry, wax, vaccum, windows. Add on services would be extra, or included in a much larger package.

Also would it be worth it to use a gloss enhancing wash, like chemical guys, for either the weekly wash without a wax, or even before waxing?

I'm trying to think like the average car owner and not a detailer. What would be the quickest and easiest way to make the car look good while still turning a profit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed.

For easy to sell simple services it doesn't get much better than ONR washes followed by Optimum Car Wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Debating whether or not to start a side job

Thanks for the quick response! I will look into those

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great. I would add a clay bar to the service before the wax. Or would that be on the "add-on" portion of your menu?

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Most vehicles maintained from week to week, or even every other week, won't need a full on traditional wash. And if you use ONR wash/wax, then you take care and cleaning and protecting the finish at the same time.
    How proficient are you with the services you plan on offering? Also, have you researched your area for your competition? You need to know what others are offering and what your competition is offering/charging. My biggest obstacle when starting to detail as a side job was becoming efficient at putting all the steps together and not doing more than what I was being paid to do. Are you planning on being mobile or having vehicles dropped off to you? Even though it's only a side gig you still need to plan it out like a business and make it worth your time. You might want to check with your city's zoning for car wash businesses.
    As far as obtaining customers, I would start with people you know like family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. Just my opinions from my experience.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

grab a apc for rims and interior. cheap in bulk. i use megs apc

Post Thanks / Like

I use Klasse AIO as my all-in-one. After a car has had my AIO detail (Level 2 Detail) I then put them on my Level 1 Detail plan, which is ONR wash and Meg's spray wax.

For tires, trim, interiors...it doesn't get much easier than Meg's Hyper dressing in my opinion. You can use that product in various dilutions for all kinds of things.

Good luck! I recently started down the road you are contemplating, just last year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Subscribed.

For easy to sell simple services it doesn't get much better than ONR washes followed by Optimum Car Wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    The also have a wash and wax product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    The also have a wash and wax product.
    Great thought.

Optimum No Rinse with Wax is a great stand alone product. I'm not really experienced with standard wash and wax products but I'm sure there are plenty of decent ones out there.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

You've got great answers, maybe I should add some cent...

Wash and wax followed by spray wax for drying gives me great looks for fast jobs.

My favorite spray wax for drying is meguiar's ultimate quik wax, but the Ultimate W&W soap is not the best for production.

It's great soap for sure, but IMO it needs a LOT of product to get good slickness for washing. Going through a lot of product moves in the opposite way you wish to go.

I've found that CG Wash and Wax is the cheapest, cleans really well, suds nicely and a little goes a long way, so the combination of CG W&W + Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax for drying works perfect here. It's the cheapest I can get without compromising results.

Meg's Quik Wax must be used sparingly. You'll apply some to your drying towel, and then ~1-2 spritz per panel. When your towel saturates with product, you won't need to add any, if very little.

When first using the product I went through half a bottle of Quik Wax, but that was my fault. With time I could improve technique like described above.

Everytime I use this 'combo' I hear: 'Just washed and looks this good?'

It just takes the time to wash because you can apply Quik wax while drying. It makes drying very fast while protecting the finish.

Can also be applied on glass and trim, and results on glass are better than many 'proper glass' products.

Hope I've helped.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast