autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Debating whether or not to start a side job

Not to jack the thread...but I LOVE Megs spray wax as well....can you buy this stuff in a bigger bottle or by the gallon?
    Afterhours Detailing
    Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
    www.facebook.com/afterhoursdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post
    Not to jack the thread...but I LOVE Megs spray wax as well....can you buy this stuff in a bigger bottle or by the gallon?
    Yes, that is how I get it:

Meguiars Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, X-press car wax, Meguiars X-press spray liquid wax, D156

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I wasn't talking about a spray wax was talking about Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. There would be no need for a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Lol I wasn't talking about a spray wax was talking about Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. There would be no need for a spray wax.
    Who are you replying to?

My reply was to Enforcer, who specifically asked about Meg's spray wax only.

I prefer the "combo" wash/wax products too, that's why I use Klasse AIO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin M. View Post
    Who are you replying to?

My reply was to Enforcer, who specifically asked about Meg's spray wax only.

I prefer the "combo" wash/wax products too, that's why I use Klasse AIO
    Sorry was for Tato.

Post Thanks / Like
    Afterhours Detailing
    Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
    www.facebook.com/afterhoursdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, yea that one is good too. I just ran out of a bottle of that...never seen it in a larger size though.

Post Thanks / Like

I started out my business in much the same way. Rather than mixing and matching products I started with a system: products from the same manufacturer that are designed to work together. I used Griots Garage stuff and bought their detailing manual discussing how to use each product. Worked great. Over time I have tried new products but still mostly use GG.

Fred, Fred's Mobile Auto Spa

Post Thanks / Like

Profitability with basic wash/wax packages should be pretty high if you stay busy. The product usage is pretty minimal.

Keep in mind that it can only take one minor incident to cost you a whole lot more than you make. It is a huge gamble to operate without insurance. If you can't afford to have insurance then it isn't profitable enough to be worth your time as a business. Friends and neighbors is one thing but a business for strangers is different. What happens when you break a delicate, plastic vent lever with your vacuum (I was told by Mercedes that the only way to replace one in a GL450 was to replace the whole dash unit for ~$800.) or, if mobile, your extension cord overheats or shorts and causes a fire?

You won't get many professional detailers supporting this type of business because it hurts the image of the industry and drives down prices. A person who doesn't rely on the income to pay their bills, doesn't pay taxes on the income and doesn't pay for insurance can charge far less. Customers are happy to get a cheaper price and think the higher prices of the legitimate business are simply inflated or gouging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    Profitability with basic wash/wax packages should be pretty high if you stay busy. The product usage is pretty minimal.

Keep in mind that it can only take one minor incident to cost you a whole lot more than you make. It is a huge gamble to operate without insurance. If you can't afford to have insurance then it isn't profitable enough to be worth your time as a business. Friends and neighbors is one thing but a business for strangers is different. What happens when you break a delicate, plastic vent lever with your vacuum (I was told by Mercedes that the only way to replace one in a GL450 was to replace the whole dash unit for ~$800.) or, if mobile, your extension cord overheats or shorts and causes a fire?

You won't get many professional detailers supporting this type of business because it hurts the image of the industry and drives down prices. A person who doesn't rely on the income to pay their bills, doesn't pay taxes on the income and doesn't pay for insurance can charge far less. Customers are happy to get a cheaper price and think the higher prices of the legitimate business are simply inflated or gouging.
    This is the honest truth.

To the op, think long and hard exactly how much your time is worth and why you're entering this arena. Will you be happy doing "wash and wax" jobs? Is it worth committing the time and money? How much initial investment will you need? What are your hours? Biz cards, shirts, marketing,...are you legit or like many other fly by night "detailers"?

Remember, you'll be competing against craigslist detailers who will undercut you severly. Still want to dive in?

Good luck.
    davinciautodetail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12