autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rent for your shop

I know this will be different based on location and size but...

For you guys that have your own shop, how much on average are you paying for rent?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rent for your shop

I'm in Billerica, MA. My shop is 54x24 almost 1300sq ft about 1100 workable space.

I have a mezzanine upstairs for an office and extra storage. I also use under the mezzanine for all my shelving and product storage.

I pay $1050/month. And for my area that's fairly cheap for that much space.My shop is located in an industrial area with 2 body shops, 4 or 5 mechanics, land scapers, etc. The building is not exactly well maintained and I would say that my shop (interior) is probably the best shop on the street only because of the work I have put into it myself (no help from the landlord). I'm not on the main road but about 1/2 mile off the main road.

With the shop you also have to take into account heating, electric, water (if you have to pay it). I only have to pay for heat and electric so my total bills for the shop per month is average about $1250.

Post Thanks / Like

In my area rent is way to high to have shop unless you do production work or charge $100hr. So I will stay in my garage for now and I like working from home makes it easy for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I work from home. Works fine except for full size trucks and SUVs. I have a car wash two blocks from my house also, which is nice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    In my area rent is way to high to have shop unless you do production work or charge $100hr. So I will stay in my garage for now and I like working from home makes it easy for me.
    You just need to be careful with this.

I started in my home garage without issues. I eventually sold my house and moved into an apartment, so was using my mother's 2 car garage to detail out of while I was looking for a shop (about 5-6 months). I eventually had the town called on me as one of the neighbors got tired of listening to the vacuum, polishers, etc and the constant cars coming in and out. We received a letter from the town stating that a complaint was filed and that I was to cease operations immediately if I did not want to be fined for running a business in a residential area.

If your only operating part time or not doing a high volume you can probably get away with it for a little while. But as you grow your going to get busier and your going to want a shop. And it looks much more professional having a fixed location (shop) than having people drop their cars off at your home. It definitely works for awhile but it will hold you back in the long run.

Since I opened my shop in May 2013 I have doubled my business.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah waiting on my neigbors to complain..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    You just need to be careful with this.

I started in my home garage without issues. I eventually sold my house and moved into an apartment, so was using my mother's 2 car garage to detail out of while I was looking for a shop (about 5-6 months). I eventually had the town called on me as one of the neighbors got tired of listening to the vacuum, polishers, etc and the constant cars coming in and out. We received a letter from the town stating that a complaint was filed and that I was to cease operations immediately if I did not want to be fined for running a business in a residential area. I had all my neighbors sign off on my business too. If you are doing a home base business of any kind you should have your neighbors sign off on it.

If your only operating part time or not doing a high volume you can probably get away with it for a little while. But as you grow your going to get busier and your going to want a shop. And it looks much more professional having a fixed location (shop) than having people drop their cars off at your home. It definitely works for awhile but it will hold you back in the long run.

Since I opened my shop in May 2013 I have doubled my business.
    I've been doing it 2 years and my home owners ass. approved me and the city not worried at all. As for looking professional no true really I'm booked 2 weeks out all year and all my customers like I have a small shop and they feel like their getting a personal touch. Since I'm only work on one car at a time. My garage is sound proof no one hears anything. Before you speak make sure you know what your talking about their are a lot of use who do this from our homes and no problem. If having a shop works for you thats great. Not sure how it will hold you back? If your mobile you are still bugging neighbors doing everything out side and making noise so your statement makes no sense really.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd I was not trying to cause a fight and I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I would have no way of knowing your town and home owners assoc approved you operating unless I was to make some calls which would just be ridiculous on my part.

And I know there are a lot of Detailer's who work from their homes. But majority do not go through the proper channels as you have. Getting approval from the town and home owners assoc. etc.

I'm glad you have a successful business and I meant no harm with my post. Was just an FYI. You obviously don't need to worry about that and that's great.

But it's something that many people who operate without the city/town approval do need to worry about. Most neighborhoods will not allow a business to operate in a residential area. All it takes is one phone call to the town to shut down a home operated business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Todd I was not trying to cause a fight and I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I would have no way of knowing your town and home owners assoc approved you operating unless I was to make some calls which would just be ridiculous on my part.

And I know there are a lot of Detailer's who work from their homes. But majority do not go through the proper channels as you have. Getting approval from the town and home owners assoc. etc.

I'm glad you have a successful business and I meant no harm with my post. Was just an FYI. You obviously don't need to worry about that and that's great.

But it's something that many people who operate without the city/town approval do need to worry about. Most neighborhoods will not allow a business to operate in a residential area. All it takes is one phone call to the town to shut down a home operated business.
    It cool I just took it personal and shouldn't have done that. You are right if your going to do it out of your garage need to cover all your base. I sure did cause didn't want to start this business and then get shut down a few months later.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter where you do your work, so long as its done right! Keep on keepin on! I've done work at home, at the shop, and at the customers home. The quality of work is the same no matter where it was done! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast