autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer wipe downs for $1 per car?

When I used to work at the dealership there was a detail company that came in. They offered the dealership $100 per used car, $50 per new car. The deal was, the cost would cover an initial detail (wash/wax/vac/windows/tires), and they would come back bi-weekly and wash the car for free until it sold. Seems like a decent deal for both.

I think today this could be done with something like permanon? Initial detail with permanon, then spray offs every 2 weeks?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    When I used to work at the dealership there was a detail company that came in. They offered the dealership $100 per used car, $50 per new car. The deal was, the cost would cover an initial detail (wash/wax/vac/windows/tires), and they would come back bi-weekly and wash the car for free until it sold. Seems like a decent deal for both.

I think today this could be done with something like permanon? Initial detail with permanon, then spray offs every 2 weeks?
    Please explain your math on the above

A Litre of Permanon is $227

Mixed at 5% concentration, 50ml yields 32oz.

Not sure the math makes sense

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, this seems like a recipe to get burned badly. Not all cars are equal, sprucing up a brand new car and detailing a 9 year old trashed Yukon XL are two entirely different things!

I recommend no one EVER get into a deal like this. Keep your detailing and your fleet washing separate.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wash until it sold? Sometimes a car can be there for 2+ years. It's rare but possible.

Post Thanks / Like

One of those deals that after the 4th-5th car you start second guessing yourself.
    Be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Oh my, this seems like a recipe to get burned badly. Not all cars are equal, sprucing up a brand new car and detailing a 9 year old trashed Yukon XL are two entirely different things!

I recommend no one EVER get into a deal like this. Keep your detailing and your fleet washing separate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Wash until it sold? Sometimes a car can be there for 2+ years. It's rare but possible.
    I worked at a Chrysler Dealer and our used car lot had cars that were over 700 days old

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post

I agree.. but the "detail" on used cars is nothing but a wash, one step (if needed) with a vac, quick shampoo (if needed), windows, wipedown, tires.

And new would be a spay off/wipedown until its sold, then it'll get a vac, windows, wipedown, tire shine and wax.believe it or not some dealers dont even wax their new cars when theyre sold.

As far as "until its sold", dealerships operate on budget called a floor plan. This is their cost of inventory.. they sell cars.. they get cars. Yes you may have a car there for a while, but the rotation can be more than enough. And if theyre not selling a used car it goes to auction.. most dealerships ive worked in had no more than a 180 day policy for selling off used cars that dont sell. But maybe some of the smaller used only lots may keep cars around longer, I'm not sure about those. Anyways you can always put a limit on how old.

I agree this could be a risk, but on the subject of $1 per car or something I figured I'd bring this up. This could be a backdoor way for you to get in and charge more money. It could be $200 per car.. whatever you think you can get in your market and from the dealership.

And no, this is NOT what i do, or plan to do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GM GENTS!
    to add further insight for what it's worth, I was directly hired by a "make ready services" company that we'll leave anonymous.
    From the sounds of it they had a prearranged agreement with the dealer that included getting new cars sold and detailed and probably somehow threw in the lot wipe downs.
    I was hired by them and not the dealer and thinking back I wonder had I gone directly to the dealer if I'd gotten more or less understanding of the correct wash process had I gone to the GM....
    Based on Mike's message I suspect they could care less.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678