autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting started in the detail industry

I am debating about switching jobs from wrenching on cars to detailing cars. Currently I have been wrenching for just under 2 years absoulty hate it. I have always used detsiling as my get away. Then started doing friends and families cars. Made money to travel for vacations and such.

My main concerns are that I have never seen in a detailing job listing that there are benefits. Is this a rarity in this industry? And also how can I get into a shop with just my weekend worrior experience? I have skills just not with a rotary. Seems to always hold me back.

I would love to be my own boss but right now I need the benefits for my wife who has ms. Once she is done getting her masters degree and gets a job with benifits. She said I can go full steam ahead on that. But it would just be nice to make money doing something your passionate about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting started in the detail industry

Sounds like you should really just suck it up for a few more years till your wife is done with school. Unless you have a good amount of clients already, you don't want to go into something new when your the only source of income in your household.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's totally my plan. I was just hoping to get into a shop in the meantime just curious how to get in to the industry and about benefits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner06 View Post
    I am debating about switching jobs from wrenching on cars to detailing cars. Currently I have been wrenching for just under 2 years absoulty hate it. I have always used detsiling as my get away. Then started doing friends and families cars. Made money to travel for vacations and such.

My main concerns are that I have never seen in a detailing job listing that there are benefits. Is this a rarity in this industry? And also how can I get into a shop with just my weekend worrior experience? I have skills just not with a rotary. Seems to always hold me back.

I would love to be my own boss but right now I need the benefits for my wife who has ms. Once she is done getting her masters degree and gets a job with benifits. She said I can go full steam ahead on that. But it would just be nice to make money doing something your passionate about.

You might hate auto mechanics. However, Imo I would keep the background of it and educate your clients on automotive mechanics and do detailing
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Im curious, did you go to a Mechanics school by any chance?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Im curious, did you go to a Mechanics school by any chance?
    Actually yes I went to two of them first went to MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics instatue) and couldn't find work. Then went to AAI (Arizona automotive institute) worked for Land Rover north Scottsdale as there tire tech. Was told it was going to be. 5 years before I could actually be a tech. Then got a job at an independent shop work as a general service tech for just over a year now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, why do you hate wrenching? I did it for 7 or 8 years - I know why I hated it. But wondering what your experience has been??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Just curious, why do you hate wrenching? I did it for 7 or 8 years - I know why I hated it. But wondering what your experience has been??
    It might be that I'm sick of someone always on my ass to get it done I want it now now now. Or the company I work for is just so money drivin that it doesn't matter as long as its dollars in the bank. I started wrenching because I liked taking something that drove like crap and made it better. The people just dont care when they get there car back. Now with detailing you see people light up when they get there car and just are in aw. I do detail time to time for the company I work for and I have made a mother cry because her van was so clean. I like the reactions and the apperiation that people give you.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the dealer you work for have a detail/recon shop?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I dont work for a dealer. The dealer I worked for had a detail/recon shop and they where on a flate rate pay for the cars they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast