autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting up.....

I've had a passion for vehicles since I could talk I guess. I was raised on my families cattle ranch and was taught "take care of what you have or you won't ever have anything". I was told when I was 9 that I suffered from OCD. Now I look at it mores as a blessing than a curse....it has given me a awesome eye for detail and made me very observant. I've been working in the oilfield here in Texas but I'm ready to give that up where I can be home more for my family. Detailing vehicles has always been my stress reliever. It helps take my mind off of things going on in my life. Everyone who sees my trucks say they have never seen a truck that was cleaned with such a eye to detail. I will probably start out doing it just as a part time thing until
    I see how it goes. If things go well the first few months then I might consider finding a location to open up more of a permanent shop. I have sways used Meguires products for washing,cleaning,polishing and dressing. I'm going to buy a better shop vac and a hot water extractor but I was wanting y'all's opinions on what all else I should get and if I should look into other products besides Meguires. I want to offer a more high end detail than others in town and let the customers know that their car or truck has all my attention on the day it's detailed...I don't want them to feel they are just a number. If some of you would give a list of what y'all use and recommend it would be awesome! I look forward to learning from y'all guys and sharing my experiences as well. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting up.....

Stop.

How many hours do you work now and how much does your hourly wage average out too?... and how much do you make a year (answer it for yourself)?

Now, are you looking to make the same, more, or less with your detailing business? For whatever your answer is, ow much would your hourly rate be to hit that goal?

How much would you like to make with your business and how many hours would you want to work?

There's a fine line between detailing as a stress reliever, and thinking you want to start a business because you want to clean one more car.
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting up.....

Thanks for the response bamboo. Starting out there is no way I'll make anything close to what I make now...may not ever. I "Hot Shot" in the oilfield and business is booming. What I'm going to do is put a driver in my truck and pay him 25% of the load so I'll still have another income starting out...the truck should clear me around $50K a year after paying driver and fuel. If I can add another $30K to that then I'll be ok and can live comfortably.