autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer Mobile Tank set up (55 gallon drum)

Me being the innovative type I decided to make my own tank. I have readily available plastic 55 gallon drums at my disposal. (and I'm also pretty dam cheap) I figured why spend $150+ When I can rig up one of these for the time being. I got a northstar 3.0GPH on-demand pump ($90) I used this pump because it uses 1/2" fittings that actually thread into the pump unlike some other ones that I didn't like as much. This pump is way quieter than I expected it to be, and works perfectly. This is my first time making a mobile set up. I've worked at body shops and detail shops but never did the mobile thing. This is really just a set up that I will keep in the back of the truck under the bed cover just to always be ready to go for little side jobs. I have a much more expensive electric pressure washer wall mounted in my back yard shop, as well as a brigs gas 2600PSI pressure washer to use as a back up. I got the mighty force 1800 PSI unit on sale for $150 and read some good reviews so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's not a beast but it will surely get the job done, very suited for my needs and the hose / cord reels really work well. Eventually I will upgrade to a longer hose so I can leave the machine right on the truck at all times. I didn't really think I'd be posting this video so forgive me if it is just horrible but you will get the idea.

How many washes do you guys think I will get out of the 55 gallon drum? I'm going to make a better raised cap, as well as install a hose inside of the tank to utilize more of the volume. I'd expect at the very least able to use 45 gallons out of the tank. It seems to run at less than 1.6GPM with the tip that I have on it. It took about 4:00 to fill a 5 gallon bucket. (maybe even a little longer) Which is <1.25GPM. As long as I can fill my buckets and wash 4-5 cars I think it will suit my needs perfectly. I also will have room to fit a few 5 gallon jugs for emergencies.

I'm open to comments, and suggestions on mounting the tank.

Detailing pressure washer tank set up with a plastic 55 gallon drum. - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washer Mobile Tank set up (55 gallon drum)

This is a nice start up set up for someone on a shoe string budget are there any other set ups out there self made or bought that are priced reasonably?

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have multiple plastic 55 gallon barrels at your disposal do you think you could "piggy back" several of them together with hoses/pvc line & fittings? Nice setup. One way to find out how fast it will run out..just do it! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2-55 and can put 1 or 2 more if I need a lot of water.
    They work great because they are tall. I hate the little water boxes, they take up valuable room.
    one tank, 55 gal, can wash three maybe four cars and up to 15 with rinsless wash.
    ... and they are free.
    now you have to find a "tank" guy to make all the connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post
    I use 2-55 and can put 1 or 2 more if I need a lot of water.
    They work great because they are tall. I hate the little water boxes, they take up valuable room.
    one tank, 55 gal, can wash three maybe four cars and up to 15 with rinsless wash.
    ... and they are free.
    now you have to find a "tank" guy to make all the connections.
    ANY PHOTOS?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VAS View Post
    Me being the innovative type I decided to make my own tank. I have readily available plastic 55 gallon drums at my disposal. (and I'm also pretty dam cheap) I figured why spend $150+ When I can rig up one of these for the time being. I got a northstar 3.0GPH on-demand pump ($90) I used this pump because it uses 1/2" fittings that actually thread into the pump unlike some other ones that I didn't like as much. This pump is way quieter than I expected it to be, and works perfectly. This is my first time making a mobile set up. I've worked at body shops and detail shops but never did the mobile thing. This is really just a set up that I will keep in the back of the truck under the bed cover just to always be ready to go for little side jobs. I have a much more expensive electric pressure washer wall mounted in my back yard shop, as well as a brigs gas 2600PSI pressure washer to use as a back up. I got the mighty force 1800 PSI unit on sale for $150 and read some good reviews so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's not a beast but it will surely get the job done, very suited for my needs and the hose / cord reels really work well. Eventually I will upgrade to a longer hose so I can leave the machine right on the truck at all times. I didn't really think I'd be posting this video so forgive me if it is just horrible but you will get the idea.

How many washes do you guys think I will get out of the 55 gallon drum? I'm going to make a better raised cap, as well as install a hose inside of the tank to utilize more of the volume. I'd expect at the very least able to use 45 gallons out of the tank. It seems to run at less than 1.6GPM with the tip that I have on it. It took about 4:00 to fill a 5 gallon bucket. (maybe even a little longer) Which is <1.25GPM. As long as I can fill my buckets and wash 4-5 cars I think it will suit my needs perfectly. I also will have room to fit a few 5 gallon jugs for emergencies.

I'm open to comments, and suggestions on mounting the tank.

Detailing pressure washer tank set up with a plastic 55 gallon drum. - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else designed their own setup show & tell here with description

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Karcher power washers have the ability to draw water without the use of an external pump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Some of the Karcher power washers have the ability to draw water without the use of an external pump
    Just about ever KRANZLE & KARCHER BRAND electric pressure washer has ablity to siphon (pull) water from a static (standing source of water) line of water, Even several gas model KARCHERS can pull water

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on this gas unit connected to water tank without an external (water pump)
    LANDA Gasoline-Powered Cold Water Pressure Washers - ZG Series