autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's ok, I wasn't looking for a referral. Just wanted to share my findings with others.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. So a detail policy should run about $400 + per year. Here is a solution for your polishing, have the customer sign a waiver. I am not familiar with paint correction but I am familiar with scratch waivers in window cleaning, although I have never offered a customer to sign one. It's all about accidental scratching. But the point is, offer a waiver and know what you are getting into.

Sent from my Prism II using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Called For Insurance Quote - Can't Cover Me

You can get insuraunce for driving a customers car and for incidents that may happen while it is in your possession (fire,theft-as long as you have a garage to lock it in) But I have never heard of any policy covering you for any damage you inflict on a vehicle during the detailing process. If you think you have this kind of policy i would suggest reading it with your agent and asking very specific questions. You are better off keeping some cash in the bank for these incidents.

Post Thanks / Like

I have garage keeps and liability coverage which does covers if I damage the car in anyway while its in my shop. I ask a lot of questions before I bought the insurance and I have state Farm which cost me $360 a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    You can get insuraunce for driving a customers car and for incidents that may happen while it is in your possession (fire,theft-as long as you have a garage to lock it in) But I have never heard of any policy covering you for any damage you inflict on a vehicle during the detailing process. If you think you have this kind of policy i would suggest reading it with your agent and asking very specific questions. You are better off keeping some cash in the bank for these incidents.
    This...
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichaley View Post
    I called my insurance company the other day to get a quote for business liability and garage keepers insurance.

After contacting their underwriters to get more information, the agent called me back and said that, because I am home-based, they wouldn't cover any painting or paint-related work.

I explained that I wouldn't be doing any painting, and that I was concerned about the "paint-related" bit. They seemed to think that it meant work done in preparation for painting.

I went on to explain that I do some occasional wet sanding, but I don't do any prep work. The agent said they'd have to check with their underwriters and get back to me.

A while later I received a voicemail from the agent, and their underwriters said that sanding would also be excluded.

Thinking about it a bit, does this mean they wouldn't cover any detailing business? After all, any sort of compounding or polishing could technically be considered sanding since abrasives are being used.

Obviously I am not going to go and try to convince this company to write a policy, I just thought you all would find this interesting, if not shocking.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
    When I called for insurrance they asked me about this as well.

I explained I was not gonna do any painting, just cleaning, polishing and waxing kind of work. Then they asked me if I was gonna install and electrical system, I told them no. Finally they asked me if I was gonna do any car modifications, also told them no. They came back to me with a quote the following day.

Try contacting an insurrance broker instead of contacting an insurrance company. When I told him my business he know exactly what I needed and what company could cover me.

Post Thanks / Like

My insurrance is 90$ per month, so roughtly 1100$ per year. In Canada, insurrance is super expensive and there is only 2 companies that offer it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I have garage keeps and liability coverage which does covers if I damage the car in anyway while its in my shop. I ask a lot of questions before I bought the insurance and I have state Farm which cost me $360 a year.
    ^This is what I have as well...

Liability for any damages caused to customer property (ie their car) while operating business related events (it also covers business assets to a certain $ amount, and MANY other things). Again, I specifically asked about damage caused while polishing and/or working on vehicles... it is absolutely covered. Hence the term "liability", meaning 'the state of being responsible for something'... I am responsible for the customer's car while I am working on it, my insurance covers me in the event that any damage occurs during normal business practices associated with my policy. Not sure why it is so hard to believe... it's a common thing. Just like your liability on your homeowner's insurance.

You are responsible for the safety of the guests in your home.. if someone breaks a leg they can surely file a claim with your insurance company whether they slipped while walking downstairs or if they thought it would be a good idea to attempt a backflip off of the couch (that might be stretching it? but you get the idea).

This policy DOES NOT cover me for driving someone else's car. That is a totally separate type of liability policy which I do not carry since I do not pickup or deliver vehicles.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    ^This is what I have as well...

Liability for any damages caused to customer property (ie their car) while operating business related events (it also covers business assets to a certain $ amount, and MANY other things). Again, I specifically asked about damage caused while polishing and/or working on vehicles... it is absolutely covered. Hence the term "liability", meaning 'the state of being responsible for something'... I am responsible for the customer's car while I am working on it, my insurance covers me in the event that any damage occurs during normal business practices associated with my policy. Not sure why it is so hard to believe... it's a common thing. Just like your liability on your homeowner's insurance.

You are responsible for the safety of the guests in your home.. if someone breaks a leg they can surely file a claim with your insurance company whether they slipped while walking downstairs or if they thought it would be a good idea to attempt a backflip off of the couch (that might be stretching it? but you get the idea).

This policy DOES NOT cover me for driving someone else's car. That is a totally separate type of liability policy which I do not carry since I do not pickup or deliver vehicles.
    Not having insurance for your business is just dumb! If you get sued you could loose everything not worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^alot of folks believe they have this insurance. But as asked earlier, has any one actually ever attempted to collect on one of these policies. I have never heard of any insurance covering in an instance of detail related damage.

www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com
    www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast