autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

marketing opportunity, need product suggestions

Hi all.

I frequent a local automotive paint supply to pick up the occasional "in a pinch" item from time to time. Each time I go in there, I end up talking to the manager about the detailing end of things. This company caters to the repainting industry only and knows very little if anything at all about detailing and paint correction work on fully cured paints.

They have a good handle on what products to recommend to the local painters but don't understand anything about pre-compounding/polishing prep work, working on fully cured paint or working with interior detailing chemicals, how to prep for and apply a coating etc. They do however see a market for these items as they do get a good number of walk ins who ask what products to use and how to use them. They simply don't know what to tell them.

Here's where I come in and where the marketing opportunity lies. They have agreed to make a small product display shelf and a sign to go on top of it to sit in 2 of their locations. The sign will read something like "Detailing supplies as recommended by Tuscarora Dave's Mobile Auto Detailing"

This company's main supplier is 3M so they carry a lot of 3M stuff and a limited supply of Meguiar's products, so I need to suggest either 3M or Meguiar's products to sit on this shelf.

If this was your project, what products would you sit on this shelf to cover tires, wheels, interior, exterior paint, under the hood, glass, convertible tops etc. etc. ?

I have a good idea of what to sit on it, but want help from this detailing community to see that I cover all areas. Remember, mainly 3M or Meguiar's products. There will be a little space left for some sort of coating and a few other items by an outside manufacturer but they'll want to make sure they're taking care of their suppliers too.

I don't use a lot of Meguiars's products (other than M-105, 205, D-300 and their clay, I use no 3M products currently so I'm not too sure what to recommend they stock on the shelf.

In return for them displaying my business name on these shelves, I have agreed to explain to them the techniques to using the products we decide on, have their employees over to my shop to see demonstrations on how to work on different fully cured paint systems, how to break down diminishing abrasive polishes, how to use a non-diminishing abrasive compound, when to choose either of them and why, how to prep for and apply a coating, interior cleaning techniques etc.

This will be a hands on type of mentoring so they can actually know what product to recommend for what kind of project their customers will be working on, explain a little about how these products work, and then let them know that for a fee, their customers can have Tuscarora Dave come out to teach them detailing techniques in there own garage.

So if some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with a list of products, what would you put on the shelf?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: marketing opportunity, need product suggestions

That sounds like a great opportunity Dave. Do you know which meguiar's lines they carry? No sense in recommending a bunch of DXXX or MXXX products if they can't obtain the detailer or mirror glaze lines.

I'm pretty sure I still have bottles of several 3M compounds that haven't been touched in a long time; if you'd like me to send you them, shoot me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's came out there and did a demo for their customers and introduced some of the "Detailer line" so they carry the MF correction kit now with the D-300, D-301. They have some of the Mirror Glaze line now too.

I plan on connecting them with autogeek.net for a few items as well.

They'll have any of the current 3M line available to use during our demo day at my shop, thanks for the generous offer though.

Mike Phillips

Congratulations Dave!

How cool is this?

I'd keep it simple as for product recommendations... choose products based upon the lowest common denominator rule, that is products that are "Bubba Proof". Products that are universally understood, easy to use and hard to makes mistakes with.

Can't wait to see a picture of the display...

Post Thanks / Like

Who is the target market for this display shelf? Is it the body shops or other commercial customers (dealers, detail shops), or is it DIY hobbyists? The Meg's Detailer line and a few MG would cover the waterfront, but the bulk packaging of the Detailer products can be tough for hobbyists to swallow.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

3M Adhesive Remover. Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    they do get a good number of walk ins who ask what products to use and how to use them. They simply don't know what to tell them.

This company's main supplier is 3M so they carry a lot of 3M stuff and a limited supply of Meguiar's products, so I need to suggest either 3M or Meguiar's products to sit on this shelf.

If this was your project, what products would you sit on this shelf to cover tires, wheels, interior, exterior paint, under the hood, glass, convertible tops etc. etc. ?
    Hi Dave...

This project is Aces, my Man!!

Sounds like they have the 3M automotive aftermarket professional products already covered.
    Perhaps the 3M "consumer-line" products for the everyday Joe/Jane LunchBucket would be a welcome addition to their store.

solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Product-Catalog/3M and Bondo Car Care Waxes, Polishes and Products for Vehicle Appearance, Performance, Maintenance and Restoration for the Professional and DIY'er. 3M: US

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Who is the target market for this display shelf? Is it the body shops or other commercial customers (dealers, detail shops), or is it DIY hobbyists? The Meg's Detailer line and a few MG would cover the waterfront, but the bulk packaging of the Detailer products can be tough for hobbyists to swallow.
    Oh how silly of me to forget something so important. Their target is the enthusiasts and show car owners, just general car guys who want to take their "baby" to the next level.

Thanks all for the posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be getting a cut in the sales, free product or just free advertising?

Oh how silly of me to forget something so important. Their target is the enthusiasts and show car owners, just general car guys who want to take their "baby" to the next level.

Meguiar's M62 Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner

Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe Microfiber Towel(s)

Meguiar's G110v2 (individual units & kits)

Meguiar's Backing Plates for Rotary & DA polishers

Meguiar's Micro Fiber Discs

Meguiar's Foam & Wool Pads (sets)

Meguiars M105, M100, M101, & M205

Meguiar's Sandpaper & Sanding Blocks

Meguiar's sanding discs and interface pads (3 & 6")

Meguiar's 3 & 6" Hand Sanders

Meguiar's Unigrit Sanding Blocks

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Meguiar's M21 Sealant

AND

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paste Wax !!!

Post Thanks / Like

In that case, I will start things off with an obvious one:

For the single stage paint guys, M7 show car glaze prior to any polishing work. The M7 pretreatment process seems to be a must for any older/neglected SS paint. This is something that the staff can recommend that would help them showcase some knowledge of the process and segue right into paint correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast