autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mobile vs home shop

Well as I learn and get better at detailing I am getting more hope that I will be able to start my business. The question I have is would you rather have a home shop and allow people to drop cars off or start with a mobile set up? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mobile vs home shop

I have my shop at home and wouldn't have it any other way. I have low over head and get to work from home. For me I could never be mobile I would feel rushed to get the car done cause I'm at someones office or home. Be mobile is great if you like doing it lots of people here do great with being mobile. Being mobile wi cost more to start up if you do it right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I have my shop at home and wouldn't have it any other way. I have low over head and get to work from home. For me I could never be mobile I would feel rushed to get the car done cause I'm at someones office or home. Be mobile is great if you like doing it lots of people here do great with being mobile. Being mobile wi cost more to start up if you do it right.
    Do you ever worry about having people come to your house?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denali2011 View Post
    my main concern as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't want to do mobile for the simple fact of me being so forgetful. I have a horrible memory, and would likely forget something everytime I went out. I keep all my stuff in my garage cabinets.

I also work from my home, I have very few concerns since I live on a military base.

The only exception is some of the female customers now stalk me!! ( probably not, just seems that way)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I'm completely mobil and it's a pain.
    I'm looking to move into a place where I can detail at home so I can detail in my underwear.
    If I could just go to my garage in the morning I'd be happier then a pig in poo.
    .... and my garage will be air conditioned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denali2011 View Post
    Just like Todd "Pureshine", I am 100% shop based ..... and no I am not concerned about people coming to my house. My house and shop are alarmed monitored and am a proud CCW licensee. I am strictly word of mouth and normally booked 3-4 weeks ahead (solid). I do have to disclose the fact that I only offer my weekends, because I have a regular job . I do have 2 employees at the moment (also only working on the weekends).

Before you ask....(if there is a concern about losing business that way!?!).... as a convenience to my regulars (or certain customers), I will offer to go get the vehicle, but normally they come drop it off when I ask them to (normally the night before).

Was it a concern initially that I was going to frustrate some customers? The answer is that is: "it is still is a concern"..... but I am reassured by the fact that I am booked 3-4 weeks ahead solid and have been that way since 2 months after starting my detailing business. I am also blessed and reassured by the fact that it is not at all uncommon nowadays to have people drive 30-40 miles one way to come drop off their car for the weekend (polishing jobs)

Build it the way you want, and put your all in it.... and they will come!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

A home shop you can work any hours you choose. Mobile you usually have to pack it in just before dark. Even if you have mobile lighting the sound of DA's vibrating a hood, deck or top makes it just to loud to work late at night and at 1:00AM... forget about it! (neighbors).
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 100% mobile and love it! Clients also love it because they don't have to worry about arranging a ride or waiting at a shop. Everyone is different and some would prefer a shop. It just comes down to what fits you. It's great to have a van that's wrapped that is a moving billboard generating business everywhere you go.

Hope that helps and Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on being home based.

My youngest uncle however was or is shopping for a shop. To open up his own body shop. I went with him the day I started working on his BMW. It looked nice and he even suggested that I could have my own area of the shop to open up my shop. (But who knows... If that will ever happen)

But for now I am just concentrating on being home based.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast