autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do you attempt to compete with big shops who charge next to nothing

Well put inDetail, my thoughts exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input guys. Im soft starting this year and trying to learn the tricks of running a business with no business experience. this forum is great due to its members taking the time to write true responses. keep up the good work geeks

Post Thanks / Like

Lets point out another difference here...

A lot of people are happy as a clam with production shops work. They want the dash shiny, the tires greasy, and the paint "glowing". They wouldn't know a swirl if it bit them on the ankle.

By offering a quick, budget minded detail, you can grab some of this business simply by being visible on web searches, yellow pages, so on.

But these are not your core clients, or should not be. They are unreliable, and only want the most basic and cheap services from you. Money is money, so if you can tailor a package to grab some of this business go for it.

The type of clients you are looking for are the ones who would like to get their car detailed, but do not trust these production shops. These are the people you find from word of mouth referrals, web searches, social media, and branding your business.

These are the type of people that don't go to the production shops BECAUSE of the cheap prices, because they correctly assume anything too good to be true usually is. And they appreciate their cars, and don't want them to be cleaned by a 17 year old working for beer money.

I recommend you set yourself to where you can grab a piece of the mass market, because it is just that. The majority of where the money is going into the auto detailing industry is towards "wash and wax" type services, whereas a much smaller percent is people looking for high end work, but are willing to pay well.

Once you have established yourself sufficiently with the higher end business, either raise the prices for your "production level" services, or remove them all together.

By doing this you won't starve while you are building your high end clientele list.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

My deluxe detail is priced between 160-200 for a car. I specifically designed it to steal a little business from the big guys. It works and it's all that many people need and want. It's still better than what the other guys are doing and I can knock a car out in 4 to 5 hours if it's not trashed. It's pretty easy money really.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wompasaurus View Post
    how do you attempt to compete with these business's? or at least stay afloat in the same market as them?

i would say focus on your own business , simple and easy. use your energy and time in that direction.
    in case you are not happy where you are with your business, than rethink your business plan, see what`s missing
    your competition will never make you successful , but you can.
    find the market who appreciate your skills and work and things will line up.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

that is a interesting reading, all post are helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Three things Service, Service and Service (OK so maybe just one thing) My biggest problem is not the production shops because they go after a different demographic, mostly dealer work. My problem is with the other mobile detailers running those stupid groupon deals.

Post Thanks / Like

Groupon sucks for detailers. They'll put themselves out of busoness sooner or later
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

great info guys

Post Thanks / Like

i do production detailing a lot. Some loyal customers who want my level of service as well. I give a client a estimate based on what they would want. Then educate them about paint defects point them out in their paint. I discuss interior issues. Point out all the issues and the long term damage to their cars when not detailed the right way. I explain about decontamination and what it does, my process, tools and products.
    When I tell them if you had you car compound, polished and waxed in the past without decontamination the polisher is just grinding all that stuff right back into the paint making it worse.
    I never let any of my well maintained meticulous pads, mf towels, buffing bonnets, wax applicators touch a car that has not been at least clayed.
    I can always tack on another $ $20-40 to a wash just by showing them the baggy test.
    I cannot tell you how many customers I have had that are unaware of paint defects on their own cars. It's amazing how much upselling you can do just by educating your client base.
    If I can take a "wash, glass and vac" and turn it into a clay and AIO just by being honest with a client that is easy money. More time spent on a car but I'm not killing 5+ gallons of water and electric for just a $30+ wash, glass and vac.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast