autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting "in" with a Car Club

Hi all, so I'm just getting started with a part time business and I'm having some trouble "getting my feet wet" so to speak, with advertising and marketing. I think my problem is lack of confidence in salesmanship. I know I can correct a car's paint, and make an interior look like brand new again. I have trouble convincing myself that I can convince someone else that they should pay me money to do this to their car.

So I went to my local car cruise tonight, put on by a club I've actually been meaning to join up with anyway. They put this on every week, it's a nice showing, there is a DJ and probably around 150 cars. I talked to the president and the webmaster about helping me get my name out and they both seemed amenable. I gave them some cards and they said they would put a mention in the next club e-mail and up on the website. I offered to donate some sort of service for a raffle for one or two of their larger show events and they suggested I set up a table at their major event (which isn't until next June, I missed this year's event).

So my question is, does it seem like I'm headed in the right direction? I don't want to just be giving things away without also being able to get my name out there and market. What are some tips for entering the market from scratch? I should also mention that I do this part time, still have a full time job and I don't "need" detailing to keep food on the table, I just want the part time thing to be a success.

Thanks!

~Eric
    Last edited by Eric@CherryOnTop; 07-30-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: update
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting "in" with a Car Club

Does this car club have a forum?

I sponsor 3 local car forums and get my very own "Vendor"/"Sponsor" section where I can post up my work much like the Show N' Shine section on the AGO forums. This is where the majority of my business comes from. It is a great way to meet other car guys & girls and an even better way to strike up some business for yourself.

I started by introducing myself to their online community, showing a small amount of my work, and offering to do 3 complete paint corrections at a special introductory rate to gain trust and interest from the community.

Once they see what you can do and that you can be trusted with their vehicles you will be in good shape.

Also - In my sponsor section on the site, I post a "product recommendations" thread, a "ask-a-pro detailer" thread, a list of my services, and other supportive threads to show that I am not only a business, but am a nice guy who is looking to help others out if they are interested in getting into detailing on their own.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Eric you need to get Renny's book. This book is packed with info. I have read it 3 times marked it up and have pages falling out. I refer back to this book often.

Renny explains how to get started what the Do's and Don'ts are of menu making, marketing, selling and so on.

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...ling-book.html

You really need to get out there and hustle hustle hustle. You are going to be completing with other businesses in your area that already are established and have a reputation whether good or bad. You need to get you name out there. It will be lots of work but it can be done.

The best form of advertising is word of mouth. This can make all the difference but each detail needs to be your best but certainly don't give away your services just to get work. Don't do a show car detail for an express price.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for getting back to me so soon.

Zach, they have a basic website but no forum. They have web sponsorships for $25 a year that gets your business card design on the sponsors section of the page. Seems like a reasonable rate for that type of exposure. I actually just PM'ed you about your site :-p

Evan, I have Renny's book and have read it. I agree it's packed with useful information. I actually told the guys from the club that word of mouth was really the only form of advertising I'm interested in, specifically among "car guys" (and gals). I'm not interested in craigslist and undercutting my prices to beat out another detailer. My price is my price, I have some wiggle room for special circumstances, repeat business, referrals, that sort of thing, but like I said, I am not doing this to put food on the table so I have no problem politely declining a job I don't feel I will be compensated fairly for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Thanks guys for getting back to me so soon.

Zach, they have a basic website but no forum. They have web sponsorships for $25 a year that gets your business card design on the sponsors section of the page. Seems like a reasonable rate for that type of exposure. I actually just PM'ed you about your site :-p

Evan, I have Renny's book and have read it. I agree it's packed with useful information. I actually told the guys from the club that word of mouth was really the only form of advertising I'm interested in, specifically among "car guys" (and gals). I'm not interested in craigslist and undercutting my prices to beat out another detailer. My price is my price, I have some wiggle room for special circumstances, repeat business, referrals, that sort of thing, but like I said, I am not doing this to put food on the table so I have no problem politely declining a job I don't feel I will be compensated fairly for.
    Awesome! Then your already on the right track. I have declined jobs because people want things cheap. I stand by my prices and my work. You have great mindset already!

Zach is certainly the person to brain pick about groups.

Don't mind me I'll be listening to Zach's feedback on this topic.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed

Post Thanks / Like

I have new customers all the time asking me meet Groupon prices of other production detailers in my area. I always tell them no cause I'm not loosing money for someone who is just looking for a deal. Car clubs are a great way to get customers. I have a Corvette and a VW club I do most their cars which is greats business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I have new customers all the time asking me meet Groupon prices of other production detailers in my area. I always tell them no cause I'm not loosing money for someone who is just looking for a deal. Car clubs are a great way to get customers. I have a Corvette and a VW club I do most their cars which is greats business.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. How did you establish yourself with the clubs? I imagine that once you get in word of mouth travels and people see you can be trusted to do a good job, it's just getting a foot in the door that's the challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is see if you can pay to be a registered vendor on the forum, then showcase all your work on that forum. Members will see the quality of work you do and seek you out to work on their vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience to get in with Car Clubs is to go out, meet the guys and gals...show off your work and network with them. Sponsor the club to get your name in the newsletter, go to their meetings, get your car out and hit the cruise nights, pass out business cards. I have one buddy that uses the heck out of Facebook to show off his work and get business.

just my two cents worth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast