autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to charge

Ment to say. Daves black vette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    I have set packages starting at this much $. You need to estimate how much time you are going to spend. I'm not doing $50 wash and spray wax job on a trashed hummer that is going to take me 3+ hours to do and run up my water bill like crazy.
    ^So why not charge hourly? If you have "set prices" but refuse work at that price... then how does that make sense? Charging hourly allows the price to reflect the amount of time/work that you will be putting into the job. It is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchboxmunchy View Post
    Damn! See, I'd love to be able to charge that much. The most expensive detail that I have done was $300. I'm sure I could improve on my skill level, but how do you get people to want to pay for that? It takes me 6+ hours to do a detail too.

Keep Calm & Chive On
    ^You will have to determine your rate based on several factors... 1) Your target market 2) The area you live in 3) The type of work you are looking for... etc

If you are hoping to do as many cars as you can, then charge a bit less and hope to get a bunch of average cars in for the typical 'wash and wax + interior' package. If you are hoping to reach out to the higher end market and specialize in paint correction/restoration your hourly rates should be higher as the risks associated with higher end cars is greater. It is something you will have to evaluate and adjust accordingly. I make sure to have a notice on the bottom of my site that pricing is subject to change. I have adjusted my hourly rate several times as my business has grown - my time is very limited, therefore I consider it to be valuable, so when I have to start creating a waiting list for several months in advance, I knew it was an appropriate time to consider raising my prices a little bit for new inquiries.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, this member is only 14 years old. He is not going to be able to charge "professional" prices.

Charge them $200 or so, and chalk up the rest for experience and referrals. If you do a good job, he will come back again and bring his friends.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Guys, this member is only 14 years old. He is not going to be able to charge "professional" prices.

Charge them $200 or so, and chalk up the rest for experience and referrals. If you do a good job, he will come back again and bring his friends.
    Oops... missed that part haha

Unfortunately that does play a factor in your ability to charge a decent amount. No matter how good your work is, there are always going to be people who are not willing to pay "that much" for a younger kid to be working on their car.

Good luck!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add IM PROUD TO SEE A 14YR OLD KID TRYING TO MAKE A HONEST BUCK AND WANTING HELP

I really think you need to keep the car for a weekend and take your time. start with the #7. It is the choice of Mike, Dave and all the other guys with lots more experiance than you and I. I WISH YOU LUCK.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started at 14... It's been great to me all throughout high school (17 now btw). Congrats on starting your own gig!

The $30-40 hourly rate seems pretty common on this forum.. To me, if I can earn $20-25/hr, I am content. I recommend you charging similar rates, but please do what you are comfortable with.

Good luck!
    Christopher J Messier
    Topher's Detailing
    Detailing Rig: 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123