autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How To Prevent Copyright Infringement

My headlight restoration detailing video has been copied and uploaded onto two different spam YouTube channels. I chose not to link the YouTube channels illegally hosting my video because I don't want to give them anymore views than they already have. I am almost finished the copyright verification process necessary to have the first video removed and now the second video was uploaded less than 24 hours ago. I know it isn't the end of the world having your content stolen but it's certainly frustrating and time consuming.

Has anyone else had their YouTube detailing videos stolen before? Is there anyway to prevent copyright infringement in the future or is this something that we all need to be diligent about monitoring?
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To Prevent Copyright Infringement

File a DMCA takedown through youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a video stolen, but I can understand your frustration. I would state the name of your company several times throughout your videos and watermark them. The videos can be clipped easily enough so just stating your name at the beginning is worthless. Sound can be removed too, so wear your company shirt, have a company banner in the background, shoot the video in front of your building; do whatever you can to identify youself that won't look out of place in a video. That should be a good deterent, and if not, consider it free advertising until you have the hosting removed.

Streaming the video to a host is a little safer than just uploading. Copying & modifying it becomes more of a chore and the person will likely just opt for an easier target. Sadly, I don't think youtube has an option to stream your videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mavin View Post
    File a DMCA takedown through youtube.
    I filed the second one earlier today. The whole process takes about a week to complete because YouTube receives so many copyright complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I've never had a video stolen, but I can understand your frustration. I would state the name of your company several times throughout your videos and watermark them. The videos can be clipped easily enough so just stating your name at the beginning is worthless. Sound can be removed too, so wear your company shirt, have a company banner in the background, shoot the video in front of your building; do whatever you can to identify youself that won't look out of place in a video. That should be a good deterent, and if not, consider it free advertising until you have the hosting removed.

Streaming the video to a host is a little safer than just uploading. Copying & modifying it becomes more of a chore and the person will likely just opt for an easier target. Sadly, I don't think youtube has an option to stream your videos.
    I currently have my company name in the first and last five seconds of the video. I have thought about shrinking my logo and using it as a watermark but I wasn't sure how it would look. I suppose if I put the watermark in the bottom right corner it won't be too distracting.

I am off camera in a lot of my videos so the company shirts won't work as well for me. However I do like the banner idea of having a banner in the background. I will look into buying a Critical Details banner the next time I order from Vistaprint.

Thanks for the tips.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame Critical Details. I really liked that video of yours when you posted in my headlight restoration thread. Great advice on Audios S6's part. Maybe also getting a small "sign" made that you can place on the car (on top of something soft of course like a microfiber to protect the paint ) so like your headlight video it would be dead center on the hood, yet the focus is still you showing the headlight work.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys like you who run small businesses and rely on your photos and videos for advertising need to have watermarks.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I would say forget about doing all the copyright stuff in the future and watermark your videos with your info, then think of it as free advertising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailed Josh View Post
    That's a shame Critical Details. I really liked that video of yours when you posted in my headlight restoration thread. Great advice on Audios S6's part. Maybe also getting a small "sign" made that you can place on the car (on top of something soft of course like a microfiber to protect the paint ) so like your headlight video it would be dead center on the hood, yet the focus is still you showing the headlight work.
    I plan to use a Critical Details watermark on future videos.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Guys like you who run small businesses and rely on your photos and videos for advertising need to have watermarks.
    I have been lucky up until now with stolen content. I am working on making a watermark for my videos. Watermarking Instagram pictures is a hassle though and hopefully something that I don't need to do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I would say forget about doing all the copyright stuff in the future and watermark your videos with your info, then think of it as free advertising.
    I will definitely watermark my YouTube videos in the future to deter re-uploading. Even if someone does decide to copy my content the viewers will know who really made the video when they see my company name.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

I have decided that watermarking my videos would be the best solution to my problem. Having a watermark in YouTube videos allows for a non-invasive full length video annotation. I set the annotation up to remind viewers to subscribe to my YouTube channel when they hover over my company name.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on how to prevent content theft.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSrvdHf6Ow]Interior Detailing: Hot Water Extraction and Vapor Steam Cleaning - Honda Civic SI EP3 - YouTube[/video]
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast