autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demonstration dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I feel like you would be better off giving people literature, perhaps even a loyalty card (buy any 3 services get a free wash, etc.) to the groupon crowd than up selling. Even a referral bonus such as a free wash if they send you someone for a full price detail. There are ways to market successfully out of this but trying to sell a steak to the hot dog buyers is going to be slim pickings.
    Literature cost money and to that crowd will be thrown away since they are the "Hotdog" crowd. It's not that they wont buy, In more cases than none from my experience the market is simply uneducated on what a detailer can do.

Most people think we just wash cars and that's that. In reality if you have a great business personality you can sell to anyone if you can get them to listen. At this point you need to know nothing really of detailing (the salvage yard corrected parts explain themselves at this point) but more about business and how to sell.

When you get them listening (That business thing I was talking about) Then you can convert to both the businessman and the salesman (pro-detailer) and educate the uneducated which in turn creates question. When questions arise and you know what your talking about! Guess what you are the goto man.

They may not get the service today but the professional image you just laid down being both a businessman and a industry professional instead of one or the other which will never work in business. Creates the loyalty and referral program in one.

You can think i'm crazy but you have to know people to be successful in any business and I know people. If you just give people your time while maintaining a professional image to explain things throughout the whole process I promise you will generate sales. It may not be that day or them per say. But you have them talking now (Referral) to their friends family etc.

Do you think they now will goto a body shop to get new headlights or send someone to a body shop for $xxx.xx headlights when they know your process is the same thing for say $60?

My point is you just have to know how to talk to people while being professional,honest,the guy everyone likes to make the sale. It's never really about the money, If it was why would they even get a wash in the first place regardless of the cost? Wouldn't they do it themselves or have the kids do it? So money can't be that tight.

Truth is people want to pay for it either because 1, They are lazy. 2, They don't have the time. 3, know you know your stuff and its easier to pay for your service then attempt it themselves *After the fact they now know you do more than just (Wash cars) *

Maybe this just my take. I have never had a problem getting what I want for price or people taking my advice for what needs to be done. Again just gotta know how to be the business man first and foremost. The salesman second. And the industry professional third. When you have all 3 down you are a danger to professionals in your area because i'm positive there are not many who have all 3 at the same top notch level.

You can turn hotdog sales into steak sales (I do it all the time) and have more problems with people who have the money yet are just so tight in the rear end you can't squeeze a penny out.

Sorry for the book, Hell maybe I should write one some day but that is my take and it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Idk this is just what I have learned in my Detailing Adventure:

If you want to work on Car show cars, then you have to go to car shows and meet car show guys.

I've been to a couple recently, and they'll grab a chair for you and ask you to sit down and talk with them about "Their" car. Money NEVER gets brought up on either side, because you are just talking about "Their" cars.

I gave my uncle my business card. He looked at it and said "Good Job" he then gave it back and said "I can't accept this" I said "why?"

He then said "because then I would have to pay you" lol

I Detail just because I love to, but of course I am not going to always be doing it for free. PPG called me today btw guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12