autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Below Average Condition Interior (Up Charge)

When I arrive to detail a client’s vehicle I’m amazed how many people think the interior starting price covers their Below Average or Extremely Below Average Condition vehicle. I’m also amazed how people let their vehicle’s interior get so trashed, it’s like they are driving in a garbage can.

I’m currently charging an hourly rate based on a guess of what the additional time required to clean the vehicle.

I’m wondering how you decide what to charge for these types of vehicles?

Does anyone have a formula approach, or is it just a guess?

Thanks,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Below Average Condition Interior (Up Charge)

Quote Originally Posted by My Detailing Guys View Post
    When I arrive to detail a client’s vehicle I’m amazed how many people think the interior starting price covers their Below Average or Extremely Below Average Condition vehicle. I’m also amazed how people let their vehicle’s interior get so trashed, it’s like they are driving in a garbage can.

I’m currently charging an hourly rate based on a guess of what the additional time required to clean the vehicle.

I’m wondering how you decide what to charge for these types of vehicles?

Does anyone have a formula approach, or is it just a guess?

Thanks,
    Greg
    First, I make sure and tell the customer I work on an hourly basis so there will be no surprises for either of us

If the appointment is made by phone, I ask if they need the leather/carpets cleaned or just wiped down/vacumed. If they say just wiped down/vacumed, then I factor in 1 hour (or less) When I actually see the car and if what they said wasn't truthful, I skip the interior all together (unless I have time in my schedule) and tell them another appointment will need to be made

When someone says 'it's not that bad', plan on it being a wreck

Post Thanks / Like

Yep , it s always worst than what they say , as for selling cars ! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Id also like to know how other guys are approaching this problem. A lady straight lied to me on the phone the other day and told me her van was in good condition. When she arrived she admitted that she had been hauling a goat (like a pet) along with her four kids. I quoted her $200 interior alone after seeing it. I thought i could work quickly and finish in 6 hours. Nope! It took over 9. It looked awesome...no tip...no real genuine gratitude. Really, i got ripped off. I should have quoted nearly $300. It's just so hard to tell sometimes how difficult it's going to be.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote them accurately the first time so they can make a clear decision if they want to spend that much. Nothing pisses off the customer more than letting them know after they drop off the car that it would cost more.
    FINESSE AUTO DETAIL

Technique vs. Product = Technique always wins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theo_Auto_Fines View Post
    Quote them accurately the first time so they can make a clear decision if they want to spend that much. Nothing pisses off the customer more than letting them know after they drop off the car that it would cost more.
    I agree, but sometimes, like in my case, the customer just outright lies about the condition of the vehicle over the phone. When the customer arrives you have to upcharge.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

When someone says 'it's not that bad', plan on it being a wreck
    This statement is so true!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Yep , it s always worst than what they say , as for selling cars ! lol
    Had a client the other day tell me his GMC was trashed, and he wasn't kidding. He was willing to pay to bring it back to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    Id also like to know how other guys are approaching this problem. A lady straight lied to me on the phone the other day and told me her van was in good condition. When she arrived she admitted that she had been hauling a goat (like a pet) along with her four kids. I quoted her $200 interior alone after seeing it. I thought i could work quickly and finish in 6 hours. Nope! It took over 9. It looked awesome...no tip...no real genuine gratitude. Really, i got ripped off. I should have quoted nearly $300. It's just so hard to tell sometimes how difficult it's going to be.
    A goat?!?!?!?

Once I quote a price, I stick with it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

I can live without a tip, but the lack of gratitude always pisses me off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    I absolutely despise vans of any variety. I've detailed since 99 and could probably count on one hand how many I've done that were in decent shape. I swear if I am ever financially comfortable enough I will never touch a van again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast