autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do when more challenges appear on vehicle after original estimate?

Long story short. I did a 2008 Chevy explorer van. $300 detail. Complete interior, dog hair,everywhere, odor removal, full leather clean recondition,wash, claybar, wax. Huge van and the interior was thrashed. 2 of us spent 5.5 hours on the mobile detail. So 11 hours technically.

Question is...

There was overspray EVERYWHERE, thick. Aftermarket chrome rims caked in it, windows terrible.

So I clayed the windows and removed it all and spent a very decent amount of time on the rims but could not complete full overspray removal...
    The client was happy with the detail, but I'm not positive if claying the rims completely should be automatically included in the original quote or if I should of charged more.

The client didn't mention anything but I feel like because I could of perfected the rims with about 1-1.5 hours more, should I have? I did have another appointment later.... But the van was so filthy I didn't notice with the original estimate.

3 kids all play soccer and a 150lb dog lives in it. Lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What to do when more challenges appear on vehicle after original estimate?-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do when more challenges appear on vehicle after original estimate?

I did the dishes of the rims, but the insides of the spokes are very time consuming....half of me wants to call client and go back and finish and other half says, wait to see if they call and explain more.

They were caked in construction dirt and the car had tons of concrete resin on it.

I did explain when completed about the overspray and water spots everywhere on the vehicle, but man, what a crap body shop she went too.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you quote this job over the phone??

Well if you want to build a bad reputation, complain and charge more to the customer.

I understand how frustrating it is, but take this as a learning curve to spot a mess before quoting it.

I did quoted a 1 step on a dark blue S550. The car had glaze on it so it didn't look as bad as I thought. I washed it and found the mess. Turns out the year was when Mercedes had just employed ceramiclear and the hardness was over 9000!

I quoted him 10 hours, put in 31. I just had to eat it. If you want to give a good impression, put down on the invoice time estimated and time taken. This will put it into perspective.

Another trick you can do is contact the owner when you realize you are in over your head and alert him to the problem you are encountering. Ask him if he would like you to continue at an added cost. Some clients won't even see the difference between a spotless barrel and a clean one, let alone care.

Post Thanks / Like

some jobs you should pass on or charge way over.
    I would have quoted at least $500.
    Do feel to bad.
    Detailing for Dollars has it's ups and downs.
    Just learn from this experience.

As far as feeling like you should have cleaned the rims better. I would have told your customer you under quoted and his money went into cleaning the other filth. Do worry you did your job for what you got paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you give someone a quote for a certain price then you should eat your quote. If there is something beyond what you have in your package that's when you should approach them. On my website I list EXACTLY what they get in their package. If it is not there.. you don't get it. Over spray removal? Not in the package.. but I can give you a quote.

Don't be afraid to speak up if there is something that needs to be added. Most people are reasonable and will understand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks a ton for the input. You really have helped me learn from this. As usual as most of the time with this business it's communication. Thanks tons. Really, I'll prolly sleep better lol.

Great tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I ment to say Don't feel bad not do. but I think you got that.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately you have to eat the time. If you make the client upset bad reviews will travel 10 fold to good ones.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I have starting prices till I see the car and tell the customers this over the phone. Did you do any polishing? I charge hourly for pet hair removal.

Post Thanks / Like

I just gave a customer an email quote based on a Cayenne that I recently detailed. The quote came with the following " When we schedule the appointment, I will walk the car with you and we can address anything beyond your package that would need attention ". I do it with every customer and if I miss something, I eat the time. Thus far, it's been relatively smooth sailing with a few minor corrections here and there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast