autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

17' Aluminum Horse Trailer

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to Fellow AG's,

I was inquired by a regular of mine to detail her 17' aluminum horse trailer. The business she purchased from suggested that it would only need a wash an wax to return it to its original look, of course after my inspections, I could tell it was oxidized and would need polishing. She dropped it off to be tested and I used Optimum Metal Polish and a Mothers Polishing Ball on the diamond plate, fender, an aluminum siding. The diamond plate and fender polished up to a brilliant shine an the aluminum siding cleaned up well, but could use a more aggressive combo or even a compound.

Here is my question: I gave a quote to the owner and if she agrees, she'll return at a later date to complete the job. I will have to purchase proper metal polishes and pads to properly complete the job. I only have a DA, but I'm not sure that will do the job.

What would you suggest as far as machine, pads, and products to be used.

Also, can OptiCoat be applied to aluminum? I'd try to upswell this if it would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 17' Aluminum Horse Trailer

I may have underbid, as its my first ever trailer, but my bid was 800. I would have made it 1k, but im close with the family and they has given me plenty of business in the past and continues too.

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

aluminum is tricky. 800 should be a fine price.
    I'd go with a rotary though. you need to be a little aggressive with aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should aluminum be treated the same way as chrome? Or is aluminum more on the steel side?

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed a rotary would be the best method.

What about products? I know WG make a full product line or is it possible to get away with a one step product like Collinite Metal Wax #850?

I will post a few pictures of the trailer at some point today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post
    I may have underbid, as its my first ever trailer, but my bid was 800. I would have made it 1k, but im close with the family and they has given me plenty of business in the past and continues too.
    That was my intent when I posted. Seems that WE all underbid on our first xxxx ( trailer, rv, boat, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Should aluminum be treated the same way as chrome? Or is aluminum more on the steel side?
    Chrome has a "point of no return" where scratching and rub through occur, and cannot be fixed by the detailer.
    Aluminum is a soft solid that can be attacked by acids, wet/dry sanding, heavy rouges and compounds, pads, wheels, and products that cannot be utilized on other metals.

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post
    I assumed a rotary would be the best method.

What about products? I know WG make a full product line or is it possible to get away with a one step product like Collinite Metal Wax #850?

I will post a few pictures of the trailer at some point today.
    Possible, yes.
    Heavily oxidized? Read a few threads and decide your product choice.

would be a real treat
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Below are the photos of trailer in which I tested a few areas for the owner and also gave an estimate on. You can see the oxidation that has set in throughout this trailer, although just recently purchased.

*The diamond plate and wheel well where both tested using a mothers ball and optimum metal polish.

*The door had two test done. The first, was located at the upper center of the door. This spot was tested via my gg da, green pad, and klasse aio. This test was performed first, because the store she purchased the trailer at said all it would need is a wash and wax to look new again. The bottom right corner of the door was tested using the mothers ball and optimum metal polish. If your look closely, test two is better than test one, however, you can seen that it could definitely used an additional step of either a harder product or a wool metal pad to completely correct.

The roof is black fiberglass.

Let me know what you think and thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0753-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0754-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0755-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0756-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0757-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0758-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0759-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0760-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0761-jpg   17' Aluminum Horse Trailer-img_0762-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the dealer cleaned it with a brightener. Oxidation actually doesn't look too bad.
    Your issue will probably center on the number of pads used, and how to remove the black residue...there'll be plenty to deal with. As far as the OC 2.0, you'll have to find a way before attempting.

If it were me, powerwash, tape off, one step cleaner sealant on the fiberglass. Then 1 cut step, one polish step, one buff step (no product). Topped with 845. 12 hours tops...and that's liberal. Realistically 10 hours, but I like to quote high.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    See the bucket under the sink in this photo? A bucket of flour for aluminum polishing residue removal. Once you try it, you'll always have a bucket of flour handy when polishing aluminum.

VT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Looks like the dealer cleaned it with a brightener. Oxidation actually doesn't look too bad.

If it were me, powerwash, tape off, one step cleaner sealant on the fiberglass. Then 1 cut step, one polish step, one buff step (no product). Topped with 845. 12 hours tops...and that's liberal. Realistically 10 hours, but I like to quote high.
    When you say brightener, you mean an acid wash correct? I did do a bit of research and found that to be a method of clean...not one I will be preforming though.

What products and pads would you use for each step?

Also, would you do the same steps for the diamond plate and fender wells or different steps?

I do have to say that if I underbid the job, I definitely overbid anyone else she sought out, as she told me their mechanic looked at it and said he could do the job for 400$. Whether this is true or not, IDK, but it certainly wont work to have me reduce my price. That individual can have that trailer all day at 400$...

Thanks for your help Vegas Transplant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast