autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone forum members here run a mobile detailing business without doing the actual work?

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    The most successful business owners and enrepreneurs i can think were masters at whatever service or product they offered. Guys like Bill Gates, Sam Walton, Henry Ford worked their butts off and knew their products and services in and out. They had a vision. What you are attempting to do, makes you the complete opposite of these guys. Figure out what you love and get good at it. Leave the detailing to us. A lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into my business, and I'm sure i'ts the same for a lot of other guys on here. Hate to tell you man, but what you are attempting to do is unimaginative, boring and frankly offensive. Take that extra money that you have to burn and invest in some stocks or just go relax at the country club while your having your mercedes detailed by one of us.
    "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone forum members here run a mobile detailing business without doing the actual work?

Sorry for getting so upset. You have to understand that your coming into a community full of some of the most passionate detailers in the world and telling your going to start a business without knowing the first thing about it. My intent wasnt to offend you but to show you how that probably makes a lot of the guys on here feel.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I donīt think is a good Idea to start a business were You wonīt have the time to check the work you are offering

Helperīs, another detail with out been supervised by you? Donīt think is a good Idea.

You donīt have the Experience, is not something you just read and then you are ready to roll like this. Is not that you canīt. is just that will be a blind bet, for you

I have a shop, Iīm training my Partner, And the new guy. Iīm here 12hrs, up to 16hrs a day, every day. And still is a Pain in the ...!!!!

Not easy task, Iīm here cause is my Business, Iīm a full time And Overtime Detailer. And still learning!!!!!!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Our old friends Mike Phillips and Tuscarora Dave have both so eloquently said, time and time again, that there sometimes comes a time when its better to "push away from the keyboard" than to put something out there that may not be the message we would like to say.

Dave said it this way:

Besides the auto detailing in itself I have learned and observed patience, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when patience is at a minimum, friendliness, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so friendly, teachability, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so teachable, humility, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so humble.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Also, from Mike there have been pearls of wisdom such as this:

It's just as easy to do things the right way the first time as it is to do things wrong all the time. Like I always say,

"Detailers that hang out on discussion forums like AGO know more than detailers that don't hang out on forums at all"

A great detailer brings four things to the table...

1. Knowledge
    2. Skill
    3. Experience
    4. Passion

Knowledge is shared, transfered and obtained via detailing discussion forums better and faster than any other media.

For the full thread click here.
    *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

What the OP is *thinking* about *wanting* to do *is* possible. For instance, I had years of experience, including studying architecture in school. So back in the late 90's I started doing Home Theater design and consulting, which of course included sales and installation. Figured why not, the economy was good, I was looking to get away from the towing business, and the money was VERY GOOD. (at the time) So several years go by and it's a decent alternative to driving all the time, plus the fact that the average client was $55K. Really didn't need but a couple of jobs a year to change tax brackets.

Anyhow, I had this one client that kept doing upgrades. Married couple, 5 year old son, between the two of them they're knocking down half a mil annually.

The first time I met him he had just built a dedicated theater room, plain, but it was a dedicated room. Finished it out and put a nice system in it. About a year goes by and he decided to REALLY go for the gusto. So we started over with all the speakers, equipment, acoustical treatments, even a new interior decorator that ordered up $5500 worth of custom drapes to put on the screen end of the room. (That's over five grand for drapes on a wall with no windows.)

So we are going through his home putting surround in 5 rooms and 2-channel in 10 more locations, doing upgrades everywhere. OK, surely he's now had enough and will be set for some time now.

Almost a year later he calls me and wants to meet me for lunch, his treat. SURE... I'll be in the area next Tuesday. Get there and after we order he whips out his NEW business card. Was it for a software company, like after all... that's what he DOES. But NOOOOOOOO.... it was HIS new Home Theater business. He knew NOTHING about the business other than what he had done in his own home. BUT (and this is the part that makes it work) he runs in circles of OTHER people that have as much, (and quite often) MORE disposable income than he did at the time.

He didn't mind hiring me or my partner at our going rate of $65 an hour (full day) or $350 half day. He also sold jobs that HE NEVER TOUCHED. His only driving motivation was that he wanted some new speakers that he didn't want to pay retail for. Figured as a 'dealer' he could buy wholesale and have the best of everything. He'd sell the jobs, I'd do the work (and most of the sales of equipment would go through my company) and he'd collect the money, make a profit and roll the rest into his "upgrade fund".

Long story short, he/we redid his Theater a THIRD time, and it was awesome, really awesome. Had it been built from scratch in the basement, including framing, electrical, acoustical treatment, carpet, furniture, custom cabinets, ANOTHER Interior Decorator, the whole works, including equipment... it'd have been a $150,000 Home Theater.

It happened because he was around people with money. Didn't know JACK about the business, but he had connections that could make sales that we didn't have. It helped my sales, and obviously helped him attain his goals of a truly first rate home theater.

But what happens when people get greedy?
    Well about a month after we got EVERYTHING in the house done that final time, his wife told him she wanted a divorce!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He called in a panic and wanted me to sell his new $35,000 speakers. The SAME speakers HE ordered from the manufacturer and had them custom built. The same speakers that HE agreed not to sell on the internet. But he knew that I DID sell some products, and trade-ins on Audiogon (the internet). So I just happened to have plenty of photos of his stuff, so I told him for 10% plus listing fees I'd sell them, (which was at least 25% less than you make on speakers any other time). I put the ad up and about 2 days later he called in a panic again. I was so over it by then but he was crying and saying the *manufacturer* was going to file suit against him for violating his dealer agreement and to get the speakers off the internet. Told them he sold them to me, was getting a divorce and was out of business. THEY DIDN'T CARE!

I said I'd go ahead and sell them anyhow, what could they do to me? After all, I'm not their dealer. Then they called ME! Told me how angry they were. "Not my problem I , I bought these speakers from a guy used", I said. Their reply was they knew EXACTLY where I bought them, they were custom built for him and THE ONLY ONES IN NORTH AMERICA!

Ruh-Row...... I took the ad down that day.

Called the dude and told him he owed me $500, which was a fraction of what he'd paid had I sold them, and nowhere NEAR what he'd paid if they sued him.

Moral of the story is, if you run in circles with money, you can make money. But don't get ahead of yourself, or your wife may kick you out, your company go belly up, and your vendors may sue you.

Post Thanks / Like

It´s like me, I like different cleaning service´s I don´t perform all.
    But I do several service´s other than just AutoDetail.

And the One service that really interest me, is the Commercial Air Duct Cleaning.
    I have done a lot of research, but that´s not all. even a 2, 3day course, will just give me the 1st very basic´s.

I got my old email blocked, that´s why I stopped searching on Truck Mount Forums, great great forum for all those Carpet, Upholstery,leather, all you can imagine in the Cleaning Industry Professional.

There I learn a lot about this service. But I´m a tottally beginer on that service. Had the contacts for the Commercial Jobs. But if I´m not there to watch,Learn, and dedicate time. Hell no I won´t just use my Co. Name, Pay my Business taxes to be register. And not be at the job
    Not a good Idea. is the same for you in a way

I work and Open the Detail Shop, everyday. And is rare that I feel bored at the shop. I love what I do. And I´m deam good at it!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you , I wouldn t do it , unless you have loads of money that you don t know what to do with it , because as some wrote before , the ones that you ll hire wont give a damn about you & the results , & since you wouldn t work on the cars , they wont care about you either , sad but true buddy .

The idea would be great if you were in business for say 5-10 years & want to have some easier work days .

But it s only my thoughts , it s you the boss here .

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question yes and no. My helper has been by my side for over a year he knows my equipment, process and most importantly my customers. Even more importantly the customers know and trust him. I am able to send him to jobs that he has worked on in the past and my customers feel very comfortable with him on their property and working on their cars.

As far as your business plan, it is best to stick with a field you have knowledge in and are comfortable with. There is much more to running a professional auto detailing business than just knowing how to wash your car.

Running a business is expensive. When you start out there is not going to be enough $$ to pay both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

You re a lucky man rustytruck , I bet you re treating him well .

& that you took the time in order for him to learn what he has to do for his job , something that s not done much in other fields .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12