autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Took the leap. Made my first order.

Made my first, and a big one at that of a LOT, of stuff here on Autogeek last night and taking the steps towards opening my own business. Well I still think I have a bit to go before I'm official as far as insurance, business registered, etc legal stuff as I still need to work out the kinks before full blown opening for the public.

I've read several of the articles on here, and others advice. I'm still just not sure how to stand on prices. I've looked at several peoples websites here to get an idea of what others are offering, and compared that to an informal survey I did of my Facebook friends to see what they would pay for "detailing". Some cracked me up on the prices they would pay (like $35.. FOR EVERYTHING exterior/interior). Majority of the insulting cheap responses were because they would say something like "Well XYZ does it for this price" which I'm not going to compare myself to those other detailers in this area as you get what you pay for and they can gladly go to them.

I want to be known for high quality from day one. I'm likely to only start Production detailing and then hopefully full blown paint corrections anyways I was thinking of basic package of:

Hand rinseless wash
    Claybar
    AIO
    Clean wheels & dress tires
    (Polish wheels/exhaust too?)
    Clean exterior glass
    Vacuum interior (remove stains too or no higher package?)
    Clean all panels and follow up with protectant
    Clean interior glass

I may have missed something else, but anyways what do you think? The highest prices I got from my Facebook informal survey of peers was $100 consistently from multiple people, and to actually compare myself to a few competitors in this area they do a similar package for $100 also. So I'm kinda stuck on pricing and getting sucked into actually caring what the "other guy" offers as far as getting customers I don't know, and for the ones I do know are saying only $100 yet I'm seeing a lot higher here on AG for a basic package for that on a few detailers sites on here or am I in the ballpark?

Super Member Kyle@PrecisionPolish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read Renny Doyle's book. $35 for a complete detail is a joke. It's going to cost you that in product. Not literally
    but if you want to make a business work from what I've read so far
    The going rate seems to be around 30-40 an hour.

There are alot of guys on here who are successful and I'm sure they will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took the leap. Made my first order.

Quote Originally Posted by Czapski View Post
    Read Renny Doyle's book. $35 for a complete detail is a joke. It's going to cost you that in product. Not literally
    but if you want to make a business work from what I've read so far
    The going rate seems to be around 30-40 an hour.

There are alot of guys on here who are successful and I'm sure they will chime in.
    Oh I wouldn't for sure do it for $35 I realize that in the products thats why I made the comment of that person could go elsewhere, but I was saying about the $100 for that basic package I listed. Renny Doyle's & Mike Phillips books are on my list of things to order once I get some more $ for another order.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike sent me this... Very helpful.. I'm like you starting with production detailing and try to work my way to some show car detailing but for production I'm going by this and even going to buy most the products he has listed at the bottom... Hope it helps!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-profits.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a good general rule of thumb is to price your services to make a minimum of $30 an hour. The issue with this is that you have to really know what your expenses are and how long the work will take you. You can't charge $100 for something then spend 7 hours making the paint look perfect. It just doesn't work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I think a good general rule of thumb is to price your services to make a minimum of $30 an hour. The issue with this is that you have to really know what your expenses are and how long the work will take you. You can't charge $100 for something then spend 7 hours making the paint look perfect. It just doesn't work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    +1 to this, I used too get a job and as long as I was making money I was happy, Turned out I was losing money because I have an ( OCD type problem) with vehicles and have a hard time over looking even the small things. So another rule of thumb is when you do your initial walk around on the car and look at the interior. Make sure you inform the client that you will do your best at getting everything but if it takes more than 5 minutes (you know how long each thing would take) then you would need to charge for it. Don't give your work away make them happily pay for it, Most cases they will they just want quality work and too know you paid attention to the small things rather than just the bigger picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Developing my different level packages. One thing I'm confused about from reading a few articles on here, and looking at some detailers websites is claybar use. I read how you should use a claybar no matter regardless if you're doing a production detail with an AIO or multi-step, but then I've seen some people have their basic wash/wax package not include claybar (and have that as a separate level)? So...which is right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailed Josh View Post
    Developing my different level packages. One thing I'm confused about from reading a few articles on here, and looking at some detailers websites is claybar use. I read how you should use a claybar no matter regardless if you're doing a production detail with an AIO or multi-step, but then I've seen some people have their basic wash/wax package not include claybar (and have that as a separate level)? So...which is right?

For the most part basic wash and wax will be recommend for those vehicles that are kept in good over all shape or those that just need a maintainence wash and have had the car always clayed.

Now a car that is neglected you will want to try to upsell that sevice to you customer and explain the benefits of the better package should they just want a basic wash and wax.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    For the most part basic wash and wax will be recommend for those vehicles that are kept in good over all shape or those that just need a maintainence wash and have had the car always clayed.

Now a car that is neglected you will want to try to upsell that sevice to you customer and explain the benefits of the better package should they just want a basic wash and wax.
    Well I thought about having an actual maintenance package for those who return to me in a less than 4 week period, but I"m talking about the first time you see them.

I read that claybarring is NECESSARY to ensure good application of an AIO or if I'm just going for the regular person production detailing is it not needed then?

Basically why would a person want to have/need claybarring if they're not getting a full multi-step detailing and just getting AIO?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailed Josh View Post
    Well I thought about having an actual maintenance package for those who return to me in a less than 4 week period, but I"m talking about the first time you see them.

I read that claybarring is NECESSARY to ensure good application of an AIO or if I'm just going for the regular person production detailing is it not needed then?

Basically why would a person want to have/need claybarring if they're not getting a full multi-step detailing and just getting AIO?

I offer claying on my 1 step polish. If I'm buffing anything on the paint the is going to get clayed. If not and you buff your are just going to buff in the contamination to the paint.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page