autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Nervous about starting my own business.

Hey guys, I know I don't spend much time on the forums, but I've been a member for a while now. I currently work for a high volume car dealership as a front line manager. I am basically the go to guy that has experience with a rotary buffer, and is skilled in chemicals and interior detailing. I have the skill set, the management experience, and even an associates in business administration. I own a truck, 2 different pressure washers (Gas / Electric), a makita soft start rotary, and a pneumatic dual action polisher. I have an arsenal of chemicals and tools that I have been collecting over the years. I could probably get into this venture and be completely equipped for under $1500, including business licences and insurances and all that jazz. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to get the clientele that I need. I don't know how to market to dealerships or even the general public. What are some ways you guys got established, and how long did it take you to get a loyal customer base? My advertising will be seriously held back considering if anyone at my job found out that I was doing this I'd probably be fired instantly. If it doesn't work out I'll be out of a job, and have no source of reliable income, so that's where my nerves begin to curl. Any advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-V.A.S.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm Nervous about starting my own business.

Well my suggestion is to get Renny Doyles book on how to start a home based detailing business. He breaks down everything including menu building marketing sales and much more. I have gone through it twice now and I still go back to it as Im getting ready to make the jump. Its a must for anyone looking to start a business.

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...ling-book.html
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

One of the important keys here is? You like detailing car´s?
    First you have to really like it, enjoy it. so you dont feel like is just another day. another coustomer.

Do not be intimidated by competition, You will develop your own technique of doing things at the end.

2 years ago, I was cleaning Carpet´s for a leaving, same as Mobile Auto Detailer & Upholstery cleaner.
    In Residential carpet cleaning world, a TruckMount is the machine to own. if you wanted to compite.

Me, I have been a Portable user for a lot of yeras know. And I never, never were scared by the competition. Yes it took me more time, I got more tired, but at the end of the day. My client´s were deam happy about my service.

So check good, what type of service´s you want to give. remember the ones that We work by our-self We end up working twice the hours, than before when we use to be a regularly employee.

Good luck!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love detailing cars. Not in the production sense that I do it most of the time now though. I like to correct paint and really show someone an impressive before and after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Well my suggestion is to get Renny Doyles book on how to start a home based detailing business. He breaks down everything including menu building marketing sales and much more. I have gone through it twice now and I still go back to it as Im getting ready to make the jump. Its a must for anyone looking to start a business.

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books

I may give that a skim.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VAS View Post
    I may give that a skim.
    I highly suggest reading and taking notes. It's one of the best resources.