autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get a business license

I need to know what I need to do to get a license to do business in Iowa.I'm wanting to do mobile detailing. thanks
    Sent from my XT901 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    It's usually pretty simple. Not sure what the rules are in your state but in Oregon all you do is decide on a business name, make sure it isn't already in use, and choose how to structure the business (sole proprieter, partnership, llc, inc.). I was able to complete all the paperwork online in under 30 mins. If you don't have an online option you might just have to mail or take the necessary forms into the courthouse.

Best of luck on your new business venture!

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get a business license

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    It's usually pretty simple. Not sure what the rules are in your state but in Oregon all you do is decide on a business name, make sure it isn't already in use, and choose how to structure the business (sole proprieter, partnership, llc, inc.). I was able to complete all the paperwork online in under 30 mins. If you don't have an online option you might just have to mail or take the necessary forms into the courthouse.

Best of luck on your new business venture!

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Im just starting a mobile business in Minnesota and that's exactly what I did! I just went on the State of Minnesota government site and they had a link for registering a business name! If its a sole proprietorship you'll just register it under an assumed name...costs a little bit (under 100) but you'll be all set! Then set up a federal tax ID number (you can do that online as well) and contact your city's planning and zoning to make sure they have no special license requirements! There were none where I am and I doubt there will be anywhere in Iowa either but at least let them know what you're business is! You might want to call your state office and ask if you'll need a state tax ID number...If you will have employees you probably will but every state is different I believe! Hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm glad to help as much as I can! Good luck with your business!

Bill Parris
    Precision Detailz

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a sole proprietor you need to just stop at the town hall and fill out a form. A DBA or a fictitious name form. You do not need a EIN if you are working alone without employees. My accountant said not to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

I did my LLC through Legalzoom. They handle everything for you and made it extremely easy. I went with an LLC originally because I owned a home and wanted to ensure my personal property could not be touched if someone ever decided to come about me and my business.

Normally the process is pretty easy and the fees vary depending upon the state you live in. Mass is expensive but most states it's not too bad.

Mike Phillips

Good info in this thread...

For anyone thinking about starting a business, BEFORE you start filling out forms or spending any money on establishing anything for your business, I would recommend reading this article here,

How to choose a name for your detailing business

And if you're going to be active on ANY forum related to your work, then give this article a read-through...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

This forum will be here to do everything we can to see you through to success...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Good info in this thread...

For anyone thinking about starting a business, BEFORE you start filling out forms or spending any money on establishing anything for your business, I would recommend reading this article here,

How to choose a name for your detailing business

And if you're going to be active on ANY forum related to your work, then give this article a read-through...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

This forum will be here to do everything we can to see you through to success...

unfortunately I joined the forum and read these articles after I chose the name for my business! Both articles are very good though!

Bill Parris
    Precision Detailz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    If you are a sole proprietor you need to just stop at the town hall and fill out a form. A DBA or a fictitious name form. You do not need a EIN if you are working alone without employees. My accountant said not to get one.
    the only reason I got an EIN is because I do plan on having employees in the near future! But yeah, if you don't plan on having employees then you do not need one! I just sold my house and restaurant and am now living in an apartment so I just set up a sole proprietorship but If you have house, cabin or whatever then it would be smart to set up a LLC...Are you going to be working out of a van or trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info!

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK I got my win I registered with the county got insurance but still not sure if that's enough.for I need a general business license? I can't get any answers from anyone around here lol..thanks for your help folks I appreciate it alot

Sent from my XT901 using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast