autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Current business owners: if you had it to do over again, would you?

If you currently own a business and had the chance to go back to when you first started what would you do differently?

What advice would you give to your self? Would you not even do it knowing what you know now?

I'm starting this thread to try and get an understanding of what being a detailed for a living is truly about.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current business owners: if you had it to do over again, would you?

I only have a part time business but I would have read Renny Doyles book first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misterzippo View Post
    If you currently own a business and had the chance to go back to when you first started what would you do differently?

What advice would you give to your self? Would you not even do it knowing what you know now?

I'm starting this thread to try and get an understanding of what being a detailed for a living is truly about.
    You know, for me this is kind of a hard question to answer. Owning a business is all about trial and error; you never know what methods and techniques will enable you to succeed and which ones wont until you try them and test your markets.

I'm very pleased with where my business is today, especially now that I've seen first hand what works for me and my company and what doesn't.

If you're looking to get into detailing as a business venture, just remember to start slow and easy. Don't jump into the full paint corrections and buy everything right off the bat. Start washing and waxing for your friends and see if you like it and see what they think. Ask them for referrals to their friends. Order a few different products and see what you like working with and what gives you the best results. It's all about trial and error.
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misterzippo View Post
    I'm starting this thread to try and get an understanding
    of what being a detailed for a living is truly about.
    So you: 'want to go there'...without ever: 'having to be there'?

IMHO...
    A person truly can't comprehend how another feels about their
    choice of profession...until they take a walk in their shoes.

"Walk a mile in my shoes,
    Walk a mile in my shoes.
    Hey, before you abuse, criticize and accuse
    Walk a mile in my shoes"
    ~ Joe South
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I would've spent my money better.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have focused more on educating myself on the business side of the endeavor. Detailing is tons of fun and can be very rewarding, but if you don't know how a business functions, how to market properly, how to network with your clients, etc. you are going to have a frustrating first couple of years.

Like another poster said, business ownership is a lot of trial and error, but with the right drive to learn and take things in the right direction from day one a lot of the error can be avoided.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned a business a lifetime ago and had I not been much younger it would have nearly killed me. Had nothing to do with cars.

Incredibly long hours, endless concerns about family things like healthcare, time for family things, not getting sued, monthly cash flow, and having something to show for at the end of each month. The financial concerns can overcome you if you let it.

One nice thing about approaching the golden years is that now its about enjoying all the things I sacrificed when I was younger.

Owning a business will age you faster than anything else you can do. Hopefully not enough to take away from the good things about being your own boss. Life has many challenges but looking back I can say that owning my own business was the most challenging thing I ever experienced but it was my own doing. I chose it, as it wasn't thrown upon me.

I do remember the good things as well like the incredible feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when things were working.

I think looking back I can say that had I not tried my hand at owning my own business I would have always asked myself "what if I hadn't"?
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely do it over again and, yes, I would do it differently. That said, most of the differences would be a result of things which I have learnt along the way so you could argue that I would never have learnt had I not made the mistakes.

It is about persistence and a bit of sense, most of the time. The biggest lesson I have learnt is how to spot the spoofers and save yourself time which will never turn into long term business.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Cashflow Quadrant" - Robert Kiyosaki

Read this book to appreciate the difference between owning a job, being owned by a job and creating a system... especially in this industry.

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    I only have a part time business but I would have read Renny Doyles book first.
    That is a BIG +100 !*!*!*!*!

Not completed it myself, and a lot of it I already knew, being born into a family that was successfully self employed since WW2, the principles are one in the same. Also I started *my* first business Jan 85 and ran it for 19 years. (Plus we had 2 more along the way.)

Renny Doyle's book however should be required reading for those wanting to seriously approach the detailing business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast