autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of line?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Out of line?

Thanks for all the kind replies. I know that having a cushion is the best way to go about this so it is presenting me with a chicken and egg scenario. I have to decide what level I can start out with on the side to generate some income and word of mouth but I will need to build up my equipment list a bit so I can offer all the services I want.

I would love to drop down to part time at my job as many have suggested but it is not an option. I would probably have to leave the position I am at now and take a lower position with a different company which means lower pay which means more time detailing to make the same amount of income. Bummer there.... Guess that means I will need to make the best use of my off days and try and schedule details when I can to build up that cushion and pay for some detailing toys.

SWANICYOUTH: I heard that. I manage alot of younger (than me) people at my job and I'm always giving them advice and it's to do what they love and be happy doing it. Don't let their parents dictate the rest of their lives and don't work their youth away!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man! it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and you will do fine. I have been where your at and planned and planned and laid out different scenarios. The truth is you cant plan everything and at some time you have to stop planing and get doing! because once you start doing your plans will be constantly changing anyway.
    Jason Otterness | Chicago Auto Pros Detailing
    Detailing | Ceramic Coatings | New car protection | XPEL | Window Tint | Vinyl Wrap
    www.chicagoautopros.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point! Trying to determine that line between jumping in with a basic plan and having a concrete structure is always tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzippo View Post
    Good point! Trying to determine that line between jumping in with a basic plan and having a concrete structure is always tough.
    A plan? What? Quit slowing me down with the details ...

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misterzippo View Post
    I would not even consider this a line if I were you. You should never start any business, either part time or full time without a concrete business plan, marketing plan, growth plan, and break even analysis. Really do your research and due diligence before getting into this. We are in the midst of a tough economy and you really need to do a SWOT analysis and competitive analysis before getting into this.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Id like to recommend a book to you about building your business slowly.
    Quitter - by Jon Acuff.

Also how to build a sucessful business I would recommend - Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark- fully understood. I think the point I was trying to make is that even though you have everything on paper at some point you have to just go for it because you can't plan for everything even if you try.

Good suggestions on the books. Quitter has been previously recommended so it sounds like a trip to the used book store is in order!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I think an outside source is the best one for a SWOT. I think it's too easy to have rose tinted glasses when writing one.

Post Thanks / Like

I read the whole post and am wondering what the question is? Should you quit your job to start a detailing business? NO of course not. If you need some extra money do some detailing on the side, if it grows into a full time deal then it is time to start a business..

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty,

Question was is it doable to hit a break even point of 800-1000 in sales weekly, hypothetically.

Would you quit your job to try it? If so, when, at what point?
    If not, why?

With my current job/schedule there won't be a black and white point of having enough business to quit and detail full time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast