autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your opinion counts!!!!

Here is my recent personal experience (non-scientific) with the trade in of my 2004 F250 Harley Ed. Powerstroke diesel.

I brought my truck "as is" during sugar cane season (muddy and all) to our local Ford dealer and they offered me $15,000 as a trade in. I know some local independent guys, so made a few phone calls, and they were all offering me the same. I questioned a good buddy of mine who told me that the trade in are normally bought by one of 3 local wholesalers to put on their lots or bring to auction.

As it was, nobody was interested in the looks (inside or outside) and all offered me EXACTLY the same.

The next Friday afternoon (after work, and finished on Saturday morning) I gave the truck a full once over. Cost me about $30 in products and I spend about 12hrs. Right after finishing the detail, I went to the Ford dealership about 20 miles away, and before the salesman was able to give me a price on the trade in, I told him to come and do a walk around with me. I told him to take some pics and told him I knew that he was going to try and offload my truck to the local wholesalers. I specifically told him to send the pics first... and then call "his guys". Within 5 minutes I had 2 offers at $16,500 and when they found out they had competing offers one came with a $17,000 offer.

Was it worth it? 12 hrs = $2000.... I would say so!
    Will it be the norm.... absolutely not! The average Joe won't duke it out and won't shop it out.

I believe a "pre-sale detail" can be "sold" to a customer interested in a private sale, but definitely will be a hard sell to someone interested in a trade in (unless you come at it with some false stats and "shyster" marketing tactics).

I had a recent detail on a 2010 BMW 335i, getting ready for a private sale. She wanted to beautify 1) inside and 2) outside. Those were her exact priority (which falls in line with what was shared before). Following the detail she asked how I would sell this car to maximize the profit. We spent a good 45 minutes discussing that most purchases are emotional and that the best way to have a successful sale is to get the potential customer "involved". Basically you have to make them:

1) Feel the paint (free of contaminant, smooth as a baby's behind)
    2) Discuss the detailing that it just had and the fact that they won't need to touch it after the sale (except for regular washes)
    3) Let them feel and smell the supple leather
    4) Have a once over on the carpet
    5) etc..

A successful sale involves getting the potential customer to "fall in love". Can't do that with a dealership or wholesaler on a trade in.

Post Thanks / Like

If someone pays $150 to get their car detailed before they put it on their lawn for sale, I would say It will bring at least $500-$750 more. Basically if a customer spends a couple hundred now they should make at least $500 more on the sale of the car.

Just make it clean and shiny. Only people that have a detailing hobby care about full correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in my early twenties l used to buy beaters for less then a grand, detail it and flip it for twice what I paid... until the State of Michigan came down on me for operating without a dealer's license, ### on that one.

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post

...the trade in are normally bought by one of 3 local wholesalers to put on their lots or bring to auction.

...I knew that he was going to try and offload my truck to the local wholesalers.

Was it worth it? 12 hrs = $2000.... I would say so!

A successful sale involves getting the potential customer to "fall in love". Can't do that with a dealership or wholesaler on a trade in.
    These are very valid observations. The trick when dealing with a "dealer" is knowing what type of cars they sell, and which ones they don't. Some new car dealers just dont' want some brands on their lots. We had a Jetta for instance that was about 18 months old and we decided to buy a new Accord. The Honda dealer just didn't want VW's on the lot. Even though the car only had 7700 miles on it, their first instinct is to "call the wholesaler, see what he'll pay". They had no intention of retailing it, even though it was a "front line" car. All that comes into play.

At the VW dealer they'd give more for it, but I didn't want a VW. (well my WIFE didn't want a VW) Being in and around the business literally forever we both know prices and used that to our advantage.

I've got a buddy for instance that has a 2008 Tacoma. We just ran the "trade in" values on it and 'clean' versus 'average' is easily $500~$800 and there is NO BIG DIFFERENCE between the two other than appearance. Mechanically they both have to be the same, as well as mileage. It's the paint, gloss, interior lack of stains and smells, etc. that make the difference.

So yes, I would say even if you are trading in (which we all know is the worst possible way to do it) a $250 detail will most likely double that amount back (or more), IF you know your buyer. Dealers will pay less than private sales, but both will pay for the detail. Dealers KNOW that they figure a "recon" into any car that they intend to keep. Now on their lot, with their wash bay guys the average cost is more like $150 and they know that. That is not to mean however that you only get the $150 because you can argue that they don't have to do it 'in house'.

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    If someone pays $150 to get their car detailed before they put it on their lawn for sale, I would say It will bring at least $500-$750 more. Basically if a customer spends a couple hundred now they should make at least $500 more on the sale of the car.

Just make it clean and shiny. Only people that have a detailing hobby care about full correction.
    Hopefully I addressed some of this above too. Just to touch on the 'hobby guys' thing... I went over the weekend to show an old friend how to clean up his wifes ES350. He wanted to see it done, but nothing to do with it, NOTHING! Car is an 07, dark blue met, with over 60K on it, road trips only, not a DD. Stays in the garage most all the time. I was blown away how bad it really was! He kept telling me how it was "her baby" and how she keeps it waxed all the time. NOPE!

Made him spend about 5 hours washing, claying, and going behind me compounding, polishing, sealing, waxing. He loves the way it looks, and even understands it, (somewhat).

And what was his biggest comment??????? "If I had known it would take this much time I would have told you NO!"
    Meanwhile I was doing this.....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a correction on a 2001 monte carlo ss for a friend of mines. He posted it on CL for 2k and a hour later got an offer for 2800. He sold it to that caller because he was so happy. 40 - hour and a half mins after selling it, someone texted him and offered 3300, 3500,and 4k. banged his head. I tried to tell him he'd get about 4k for it. Paint corrections can improve the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I traded in an 04 yukon 80k on the clock in december average trade in was 10k flat I pulled 12.5k it was my first say in how much i wanted and they said ok right off the bat.... knew I should have asked for more but oh well... cut down on the time spent hacking away at msrp of the new car....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailingtime View Post

How much can a detail add to the resale of a auto?.

And how much faster would a decent 6 yrs old auto sell with a complete detail full correction 90%?

I have my ideas but i would like input to get a average!!!
    You're talking about two different things here.

This is how I look at it...

Increased Value - Doing a full detail will not add all that much to the resale value if anything. If a $250 detail could increase the resale value lets say $1000 then everyone would do it. Now, there are those that will disagree with but it's also likely that these very same people walk into a dealership and pay sticker price.

Faster Sale
    - The better a car or truck looks the more likely it is to sell if a buyer is in the market. The key here is to have the vehicle catch a prospective buyers eye enough to bring him in for a closer look.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Wife had a '77 Toyota Celica Fastback (red), 300K on the clock. We (she) sold it in 2000 for more than she paid new.

The buyer saw the finish and interior>>>SOLD!

My dad had a '55 Chev that he sold in '67, again finish and interior>>>SOLD!

I have to honestly say, a 'detailed' vehicle does increase resale value.

Now, if we could get the '5th wheel' sold, we'd be happy...LOL.

Bill

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Wife had a '77 Toyota Celica Fastback (red), 300K on the clock. We (she) sold it in 2000 for more than she paid new.

Bill
    Now THAT brings back memories! While I'd owned 4 cars before, 2 Comet GT's, a GTO, and a 403 Javelin, the first brand new car I ever bought, (in 76) was a 77 Celica (white). Loved that car!!!

I too agree, a detailed vehicle not only brings more potential buyers but buyers with MORE MONEY. However, by "detailed" we're not talking about the $39.95 hand wash, dry, spit on the tires thing. We're talking about a full paint correction, multi-step process. Which BTW is something that MOST people don't do, and what's worse.... THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT EXSISTS! However..... once they SEE it, they WANT it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post

Bill
    Make sure the trailer is shiny. I sold my old one fairly easy that way

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast