autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing at a self service car wash?

I have been presented with the opportunity to do detailing at a local self service car wash. They have a large bay that is not in use and I can rent/lease it for either a percentage of sales or flat rate monthly.

Has anyone done this? Did you pay by the month or % of sales? If I was going to do % of sales, what's a fair % to give him. I would get the space, could advertise in all the bays, and power is free.

The other thing is this place is pretty shabby (dirty as hell, trash on grounds, walls need paint etc) so it doesn't seem to attract the best customers.

I am just getting started so the exposure might be good, but on the other hand I don't want to be the guy who details cars at the "crappy/ghetto" car wash?

The owner has talked about making this bay into an actual detail shop, so it could become a fixed location.

Thoughts?
    2011 Corvette Grand Sport & 2007 TrailBlazer SS (Both black!)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing at a self service car wash?

Could be the start of something new!!
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. Start small. Low budget. I like the % of production deal. Slow month, low overhead. The pros can give you an idea of amount. Good luck!
    Wax On!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exchange fixing up the place, repainting, picking up the trash, etc. for the space rental if need be until it's in good condition so it's no longer the ghetto car wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
    Exchange fixing up the place, repainting, picking up the trash, etc. for the space rental if need be until it's in good condition so it's no longer the ghetto car wash.
    I thought about this too. If I end up doing the deal that will have to be part of it.

Post Thanks / Like

This could be the start of something. Its going to take time and dedication but could pay off.

But maybe its to far gone to really give your time to. Its up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't turn your nose up at the space. Bill Gates started in his garage. Just sayin'
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I had an opportunity just like that one time. I was on the fence about it because of the level of detailing I had already been providing on my own efforts as a mobile guy. I was doing much higher quality work than what his clientele would likely have wanted to pay for, and I wanted that higher quality associated with the image I was "attempting" to create for myself.

Looking back on the opportunity, and having moved forward a few years (Having not taken the opportunity) I think if I had worked out a good percentage rate and moved forward with him, I would have likely made much more money in the long run. I would have certainly had to gear my efforts more towards the more affordable production methods of detailing, using a machine glaze with fillers to bang out the work in a very quick time frame.

I don't regret passing on the opportunity because I like where I am now and what I'm doing today. If you're in a position to give it a shot with the possibility that it might not work out...I'd go for it because there is no better location for a detail shop than on a property where people who want a clean car are already going. There is risk involved in everything you try to do, but to be situated where everyone that comes through will see your banners or other advertising material in every bay they deal with could be an unsurpassed means of bringing customers into not only your detail bay but more customers into the wash bays by way of your word of mouth.

I could go on and on in this thread but I don't have the time to this morning. I'd suggest that you and the others viewing this thread try touching on what value added service you could bring to this car wash and discuss that for a while to get more food for thought on what a fair percentage rate would be.

If you don't paint yourself into a corner with this guy...meaning have a fairly painless exit strategy, I don't see where you can go wrong.

Subscribed, got to get to work....TD

Post Thanks / Like

First off, the owner needs to get the place cleaned up. If you would not bring your car in to get it washed then setting up a detailing shop is counterintuitive. He should commit to doing that before you agree to signing any paperwork.

"Know your customer" is paramount here. Maybe you get the place for the first 30 days free of charge or some low-ball figure (~ $200). This way your "work" is focused for the most part introductions to his customers and see if they would be interested in your services (and what type) and for those you think would be interested give them a postcard for a free "detail" and paint/glass/interior surface inspection and service recommendation. It may be the best $200 you spent.

If you have no client base as of yet then a % of monthly sales is the best approach until you build up a steady stream of customers. This is due to the fact that revenue expectations for you are 0 until you get more information as to the clientele and type of market (in that region) you are selling your services.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am just starting my detail business so I ran a "barter" ad on Craigslist looking to trade detailing for some services I need like logo design, printing etc. and the owner of the car wash contacted me through that. I met with him last Thursday morning and we lined out the basics of the deal.

At that point I had nothing so I got some quick business cards, forms, flyers, and signs made. I spent about 6 hours cleaning on my workspace since it used to house an automatic wash but was now empty. I literally swept 3 gallons of dirt out of it! I loaded up my personal product collection and bought some more OTC stuff just in case to get me through the weekend.

My signs and flyers offered anything from they wash and I dry to "full detailing".

I arrived early Saturday morning and put out flyers and signs and spent the day meeting and greeting folks. I didn't sell any work but some people did express interest in future work.

I did the same on Sunday and did sell a package of dry, tire shine, clay and wax. When the customer pulled his car into my bay it was wet but miles away from clean! I used some QD to basically do a waterless wash on it then clayed and put a coat of cleaner wax on it. I ended up doing the windows, wheels, and running boards for free just to make it look presentable if he decided to show to others. I also took him to a wash bay and explained how to use it properly. I got $60 for it and the car looked good when it left.

My observations from the weekend are these:
    Lots of rinse and run where they drop $1.50 and are gone in a flash.
    Very few actually dry the car.
    A couple spend an hour plus detailing.
    Lots of cars missing paint or clearcoat.
    Lots of non English speakers.
    Some average commuter cars.
    Few "nice" 40k+ cars.
    The parking lot is so dirty that cars swirl up dust around them when they leave.

The owner bought this car wash about 6 months ago for the price of the land. He owns a dry cleaners and knows nothing about washing or detailing cars. The bays and vacuums all work and he keeps them running. They vend "towels" and armor all wipes. The carpet shampoo machine is dead and unrepairable. He says he's willing to clean the place up some. He lives 30 min away and only visits location 3-4 days a week but wants to hire someone to do trash etc daily.

The bay is larger than a normal wash bay and could easily hold 2 cars. The location is off the main drag but visible from it and been there 12 years so locals know its there.

I'm thinking that cleaned up and freshly painted it might bring a better clientele. I think it has the potential to make some money on the weekends offering a wash & dry service and basic finishing. I also think there's money in basic interior and exterior details in the $125 range.

I am thinking I could do some permanent signage and spend the next few weekends up there establishing a presence and then possibly work by appointments and be there if I want when nothing is booked?

Or I could hire some cheap help and commit myself to the spot sat & sun or fri-sun and offer washes on up. I'm going out of town this weekend so I have about 2 weeks to figure it out.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast