autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: detailing without insurance

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    Insurance is not to protect your customers car but to protect yourself....
    I tell ya' what, I've got a G35 that I'll let somebody detail and I swear I didn't spill any alcohol on the clear bra! Pssssttt it only costs $600 to pull it off and put a new one on.... I SWEAR that's cheaper than insurance, REALLY!

Comon'... it'll be OK, mama will take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: detailing without insurance

If you get a dandy of a customer, they'll get you for the actual damage, emotional distress and time without a car to get that car fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebamboo23 View Post
    I don't understand how bad a damage can be made for it to cost $300k? I mean burning paint with a rotary on a single panel won't cost more then $5000.. But then again, the worst can happen like lights falling down, right?
    Read my rely all the way through first before you comment. First it doesn't say cost 300k to get fixed says a 300k car to get fixed.
    A couple grand in the bank not going to cover that.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't plan on doing more the $500 in damage to any vehicle you touch then just make sure you keep a few hundred dollars handy for any accidents. I just had an oops with a client's car and the cost to repair is less than $100 which is $400 less than my deductible. So you can figure out what I'll do on this one. It's nice to know that if something ever happens well into the thousands of dollars that I'll only be out of pocket about $1000 including my premium/deductible. I think better insurance in my situations is having an acquaintance that's a painter.
    Usually staying within your comfort zone with your equipment will insure you don't have an oops. Also, being very attentive of your equipment's condition,your environment/surroundings, and the task at hand, helps mitigate oops moments.
    OP, it's your call and your money either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

You use a certain chemical and the customer comes and picks up her car with her 5 year old son in the back seat, on the way home the son has an asthma attack and dies. The lady gets a lawyer and they decide the chemicals you used contributed to her sons death and they sue you. Do you really think you have enough money on hand to cover the value of her 5 year old baby boy? This can't happen right? Better get insurance this could ruin your whole life.

Post Thanks / Like

2,000,000 for cars boats rvs and my shop 530.00 per year liberty mutual

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    You use a certain chemical and the customer comes and picks up her car with her 5 year old son in the back seat, on the way home the son has an asthma attack and dies. The lady gets a lawyer and they decide the chemicals you used contributed to her sons death and they sue you. Do you really think you have enough money on hand to cover the value of her 5 year old baby boy? This can't happen right? Better get insurance this could ruin your whole life.
    Wow! Never thought of it like that. Makes me feel even better about having insurance. If you make any decent money detailing then is well worth the +-$500 a year that has the potential to save you over $1M, plus your sanity.
    With the thought of possibly being sued for a child's death I think I will look into Legal Shield.

Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Or, maybe think of it this way:

What would you say when a potential customer asks..."Do you have insurance?"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd argue that if you have customers, you need insurance, whether its considered a hobby, or you do it for income.

Imagine a polisher falling out of your hands right onto the hood, or something falling over like a halogen light into the door, or you tripping on something and the polisher goes flying into the car.

So many things can happen that you don't even think about in the excitement of thinking about detailing other people's cars.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense silvrfox, but those are small potatoe concerns. The cost of burning someone's garage done cause you had a faulty extension cord or the halogen was left on too close to something combustible would cost serious money that most can't afford out of pocket. If you ever plan on working in someones facility, garage, warehouse or what have you, then it will help you and the customer rest easy.
    In any account it is a small premium to pay for such coverage. Too many variables in life.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast