autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much does it cost to be fully mobile?

As the title says, How much does it cost to be fully mobile? What I mean by that is how much does it cost to have your own water and power.

I'm thinking about starting my own mobile detailing business and was originally planning on using clients water and power. However, looking at my competition there is a mobile rig in the area that has it's own water and power. So in order to be competitive and look more professional I think I need my own power and water.

So what am I going to need and how much is it going to cost me?Off the top of my head I can think of:

wanter tank
    water pump
    Generator

The water pump is what i'm having the most trouble with. I was planning on buying an electric pressure washer, probably a greenworks 1700 psi one. Can you guys over me any tips on what to buy and where to buy it.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much does it cost to be fully mobile?

This should be close to what you'll need for the three items you mention..

• Water tank - 100 gallon: $250
    • Water pump - $175
    • Generator - $350

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

The giant water tank is the old way of thinking. It depends on who your customers are going to be. If you are going to be a car or deck or house washing business than yes you need a big setup. If you are going to detail cars(which is what I do) What would you need 100 gallons of water for? It takes me and my partner 3-4 hrs to detail a car,we do max 2 a day(usually at the same customer's home) so we are able to work with a CG Eco pod. 2 HD homer buckets with 3 gallons and a full Eco pod and you are ready to roll. Buckets with Gama seals $25 Eco pod $500.

Get the Honda generator Eu 2000. $1000 It is powerful, quite and light. It is perfect for mobile detailing.

You must read Renney Doyle's book. It will be the best $20 you ever spent. He talks about how the giant detailing trailer with the giant water tank with pressure washers are the old and outdated way of doing business.

LET ME REPEAT, BUY THE BOOK. Yes I'm shouting because I don't want you to miss the part about buying(and reading) the book.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    The giant water tank is the old way of thinking. It depends on who your customers are going to be. If you are going to be a car or deck or house washing business than yes you need a big setup. If you are going to detail cars(which is what I do) What would you need 100 gallons of water for? It takes me and my partner 3-4 hrs to detail a car,we do max 2 a day(usually at the same customer's home) so we are able to work with a CG Eco pod. 2 HD homer buckets with 3 gallons and a full Eco pod and you are ready to roll. Buckets with Gama seals $25 Eco pod $500.

Get the Honda generator Eu 2000. $1000 It is powerful, quite and light. It is perfect for mobile detailing.

You must read Renney Doyle's book. It will be the best $20 you ever spent. He talks about how the giant detailing trailer with the giant water tank with pressure washers are the old and outdated way of doing business.

LET ME REPEAT, BUY THE BOOK. Yes I'm shouting because I don't want you to miss the part about buying(and reading) the book.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the insight. I will keep that in mind if/when I decide to go mobile. I haven't seen a review on the CG ecopods. Perhaps you could do one? I saw the videos on their website but wanted to see how it was used for someone detailing a really dirty/filthy car.

Post Thanks / Like

Fully mobile, Rinseless wash is the way to go, screw hauling around a water tank and all the associated stuff that goes with it. It's all replaced by a bucket and a bottle of ONR. That's how you keep costs down.

Post Thanks / Like

No Rinse or Rinseless Washes are an amazing addition to today's detailing arsenal of tools. While these washes do provide an opportunity for water conservation their window of "cleanliness" or How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash? should always be determined.

The goal is to provide the customer with the quality of service they've paid for without creating additional damage to the finish.

I think it would be great for some of the Mobile Detailing members chime in on how they outfit their trucks and vans and do they carry 50 gallons or so of clean water....in the event that they're unable to access a water supply while at the customer...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

7. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, when I think of water tanks, I think of mobile car wash guys, not so much mobile detailers. I personally use ONR instead of traditional washing because it's better at reducing the marring risk, not because of water conservation. ONR has handled even the dirtiest cars quite well for me (pre-rinsing with ONR solution in a spray bottle when needed).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    To me, when I think of water tanks, I think of mobile car wash guys, not so much mobile detailers. I personally use ONR instead of traditional washing because it's better at reducing the marring risk, not because of water conservation. ONR has handled even the dirtiest cars quite well for me (pre-rinsing with ONR solution in a spray bottle when needed).

This is what I'm currently doing ^

However I have had a few clients drop off at my house and Then I use the traditional hose method and my Gilmour foam gun.

I have a pretty good sized plastic container that holds about 20 to 25 gallons of water or so. I have considered placing this in my newly purchased enclosed trailer and buying a self priming electric washer to do a better soak/ power rinse if I encounter an extremely dirty vehicle as well as for spraying down under the wheel wells.

I have both a Generator and a gas pressure washer powered by honda as well and may just place them in my trailer. but was trying to go with a different and more eco set up. Plus they take up quite a bit of room in a 5x8.

I'm still a work in progress and deciding how to set everything up..

I've been fortunate so far to use my clients power but want my own set up for powering my D/A polisher and my shop Vac.. Plus this seems far more professional to me

Considered going w/ batteries in the trailer instead of the generator but here that can be pretty expensive as well.

This has been a bit pricey to get up and running but I'm starting to see some steady business by word of mouth and I'm just reinvesting in my business at the moment. I don't even have my dedicated business name yet

which is a thread I was about to start asking for input on my biz name.

Post Thanks / Like

No way I would ever rely on rinseless washes for mobile detailing!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    No way I would ever rely on rinseless washes for mobile detailing!
    +1
    ONR has its place, and is a great product. IMO ONR can not replace traditional 2 bucket and foam cannons.

Situations vary. Every car will need different attention.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast