autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question headlight restoration(how $ is too much)

hey guys, its finally time for me to start my part time hobby i've been waiting on. soon ill have my setup completed and ready to start restoring those old yellow headlights. im wondering how much should i ask for the job. it will take me around 1 hour 30 min to finish a car. this is a guess since sanding takes around 30, waiting on coats another 30 and prep if not done by client another 30. the way im restoring is a easy 4 year guarantee but most ppl wont believe such stuff. so lets say they do since they should, how much should i ask? i can lay down coats without runs, im very big w perfection and i dont rush things. if it was ur headlights on the line would u pay 60 for a job? any feedback will be awesome.
    00 celica gts; manual
    roses are red, i like jello
    this makes no sense... feel silly huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: headlight restoration(how $ is too much)

I would gladly pay 60 if the detailer did a good job. You need to be able to make money on labor and product
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

I typically aim for $35/hr on longer jobs (paint correction) but go a little higher for the shorter jobs like headlights. I think the $60 mentioned by Bill is pretty spot on for 1.5 hours.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to look into applying some type of UV coating. If not then customers may be upset when the yellow or haze returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Mabye its the area your in but that sounds super cheap to me. Considering that now days a new head lamp assembly for some cars is well over 1000$. I usally charge 75$ if I'm just buffing. I always apply the liquid plastic coating too. If they require sanding 150+ depending on how bad it is

Post Thanks / Like

wow im happy to hear the feedback. yes its clear so its suppose to keep it from yellowing for a long time. jsmooth, since im about to be 18 and doing this as a hobby for some cash im happy knowing i can easily make 60 for the job. hopefully when the word gets around of what i do and i get more calls, yes ill deff step up the price. thanks guys!
    00 celica gts; manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Mabye its the area your in but that sounds super cheap to me. Considering that now days a new head lamp assembly for some cars is well over 1000$. I usally charge 75$ if I'm just buffing. I always apply the liquid plastic coating too. If they require sanding 150+ depending on how bad it is
    Joe what do use to protect and prevent yellowing

Post Thanks / Like

twister any kind of sealer u find on auto stores. thats the only thing i know of. if its easier buy a clear bra, they work pretty good i heard but other than that buff buff anf buff to keep it clear unless ur going w a hard coat.
    00 celica gts; manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro_paydro View Post
    twister any kind of sealer u find on auto stores. thats the only thing i know of. if its easier buy a clear bra, they work pretty good i heard but other than that buff buff anf buff to keep it clear unless ur going w a hard coat.
    The problem with them is the durability. I need to be able to offer something that will hold up and last even trough neglect. If I regularly maintain the car then a normal sealant would work fine. Whatever is used really needs to protect from UV rays since that's what causes the yellowing

I've been thinking of using Opticoat but I would like to use something made for headlights. I've used Opticoat on new headlights and it works fine but on headlights that requires sanding and refinishing I don't feel it's really the solution.

Post Thanks / Like

yes twister, i remember when i first started researching and reading all these posts. no kidding ive read so many posts in so many diff forums everytime i type the same stuff on google all links are purple^^ so heres how you stop oxidation:

short term:
    kits,buffing

long term:
    hard coat (clear, opti, 80/20 urethane/solvent)

ive already tried the urethane method, its alright but again not something u can just leave there and not take care of it. with urethane theres so many things u cant do to ur car just to keep it on. no buff, car wash, you name it. now clear like im choosing to do its sinply something u apply and leave it there until it yellows again(years) no need to take care. opticoat for me is just another type of clear and all the talk about it doesnt really makes me as interested. its not something that ever made my eyes hurt from surprise. so buffn is easy but again you will have to keep redoing it (its already a sealer itself). clear spray and done, and opti is too many steps and too confusing. (its also new on the market, who knows what it actually does).
    00 celica gts; manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast