autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Vehicle / Personal Vehicle

I see your predicament, but I would rather have an economical sedan or coupe for personal use and a 4wd SUV for my detailing, to do that right. The kind of vehicle that would be best for your detailing business will cost you a lot more in gas, which, quite frankly,could cost you more money in the long run if you also use it as your personal car.

It might be cheaper to have two cars long term. I don't know for sure in your case, since it depends upon how long you will keep them. I might consider keeping the detail vehicle in storage when not in use if parking isn't possible at home. These are costs you should figure out. The kind of SUV you would want for detailing would likely cost you 2 or 3 times as much in gas than a economical sedan for personal use.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate the discussion that has developed.

Essentially, my wife's Altima or my Kizashi would be our economical car (one of these will become a trade in), while the detailing vehicle would be a mobile detailing/day job vehicle/rolling

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImWatchdog View Post
    Personally, my decision would be based on space & weight. If I were going to go with the 60 gallon water tank you mentioned, I would definately get a full size truck/SUV. The tank & water alone would be over 500 lbs. I believe that much H2O would soon be the end of an Element. Let alone your zero to sixty times being gauged with a sun dial. Merging with freeway traffic could be a little dicey.

You also mentioned doing basically a job a day so you wouldn't need all your tools every day. Well, unpacking & repacking for every job sucks. Here's why.... You get out on the job. You're scrubbing away & making good progress. Things are going great until you reach for something that isn't there. Or your customer says they would like something additional done that you didn't bring with you. "Oh yes sir, I've got plenty of that...." (at the shop where it does me no good at all.)

A small SUV might get the job done for now. But a full size might make more sense in the long run if you add to your services. So if you're that serious, bite the bullet & buy something that has the room, weight capacity, & power to do the job.

Because you can wash a car with a cotton ball. But who wants to work that hard?
    I completely understand and know that if I go the route of having my own water, then I need something with a solid suspension. I wouldn't remove most items at the end of my day, just the items that need to be cleaned and or refilled.

I want a vehicle that will be able to do the job over the long run, but the long run will also include a day job, and general commuting.

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    It might be cheaper to have two cars long term. I don't know for sure in your case, since it depends upon how long you will keep them. I might consider keeping the detail vehicle in storage when not in use if parking isn't possible at home. These are costs you should figure out. The kind of SUV you would want for detailing would likely cost you 2 or 3 times as much in gas than a economical sedan for personal use.
    The fortunate aspect to this, is when the weather is nice and I'm not detailing, I can replace any four wheel vehicle for that of my two wheeled sportbike! It does really well on gas haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post
    The fortunate aspect to this, is when the weather is nice and I'm not detailing, I can replace any four wheel vehicle for that of my two wheeled sportbike! It does really well on gas haha!
    Very good. I'm sure the motorcycle gets great gas mileage. If you really need this vehicle for detailing, make sure you get one that can perform best for that task.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for the Honda... good gas mileage, great reliability, and they have TONS of room inside.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb, I don't buy vehicles that are no longer in production. Of the list provided, I'd go FJ for sure. It's a great vehicle with good payload and towing capacity. I noticed you mentioned hummer - you may like the interior stylings of the FJ as they favor an H2.

Post Thanks / Like

Continuing my search and making sure I explore all avenues, I contacted a local trailor company. I received a quote of 2500$ for an enclosed 6x10 (assumed that's the largest I will need).

I'm still trying to locate a vehicle that would/could potentially carry everything, including a water tank. Obviously a truck is ideal, but I also think that the H3 could be a solid possibility, as its rated to carry 1300lbs. It's not the greatest on fuel economy, but if I want a self sufficient mobile detailing vehicle that double as my personal vehicle, it could work.

The Search Continues!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OMRebel View Post
    As a rule of thumb, I don't buy vehicles that are no longer in production. Of the list provided, I'd go FJ for sure. It's a great vehicle with good payload and towing capacity. I noticed you mentioned hummer - you may like the interior stylings of the FJ as they favor an H2.
    I recently bought a black 2003 Hummer H2, and I LOVE IT! They are a great choice, impress clients as somewhat of a specialty vehicle, and the gas isn't as bad as it would seem...
    However, the Element does sound like a great choice with its versatility. Good luck!!
    Christopher J Messier
    Topher's Detailing
    Detailing Rig: 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Post Thanks / Like

The Element my dude. Especially after I noticed you say that you wanted to commute and detail out of it. My brother has 08fj. Although it is a monster (runs over everything, probably the toughest japanese car I ever drove), the gas SUCKS!! LOL you'd regret getting a humm or the fj if you were trying to be frugal. It all comes down to your personal preference of course.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast