autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help - Information overload

Hello!

I have been lurking here for about a month and have been trying to figure out the best methods, equipment and supplies to start a small side business:

Headlight restoration and odor remediation

These are 2 things that most (not all) local detailers miss the mark on and some even create the odor problem - mostly the "fly by night" guys

Anyway I have become dizzy and overwhelmed by all the threads here and really don't know where to start. I thought I had a plan using some OTC headlight stuff and zepp products for odor. Until I got on this forum seemed to do a really good job. I have seen how week it is compared to what you guys do.

The bottom line here is:

To start a headlight restoration and odor remediation business, that is mobile, what would be the recommended minimum needed as for equipment and supplies?

wet sanding paper 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000?
    3M scrub pads in equivalent grits?
    Tape and plastic to mask surrounding areas?
    mineral spirits?
    alcohol?
    polyurethane to coat and seal?

I mean I have read I know at least 200 different threads and I don't know how many posts about these subjects and - well you get the idea.

And I can't really get anything on odor removal other than an ozone generator but being mobile - I really don't want to invest in a generator yet.

So many methods competing how do you choose one that would be profitable and fit with a mobile operation?

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - Information overload

Not to sound ruse or anything but it kinda sounds like your just wanting to do a mobile business for the money only. Do you have any past experience in detailing at all?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well sort of -- I bought cars and dressed them up to resell. Yes I want to make money but I also love being around cars.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough -- I want to do the best job I can in a mobile setting. I want to be able to offer a guarantee for my work. I also have no intent on being a full service detailer - in this area that is too over-saturated.

I just want to provide an honest service, in a reasonable time frame and be profitable at it.

I am sorry that you felt the need to respond that way - this is "how to make money detailing cars". I thought it was the correct place for my post.

Didn't mean to offend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Well sort of -- I bought cars and dressed them up to resell. Yes I want to make money but I also love being around cars.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough -- I want to do the best job I can in a mobile setting. I want to be able to offer a guarantee for my work. I also have no intent on being a full service detailer - in this area that is too over-saturated.

I just want to provide an honest service, in a reasonable time frame and be profitable at it.

I am sorry that you felt the need to respond that way - this is "how to make money detailing cars". I thought it was the correct place for my post.

Didn't mean to offend.
    No offense taken friend . I myself have a side business for detailing. As far as detailing goes, are you looking into just offering headlight restorations and odor removal only or are you wanting to branch out into other areas?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just headlight and odors.

These seem to be the things that aren't that competitive here.

Nobody except the really high-end detailers do "proper" headlight restoring and they remove the lights from the car to do it -
    I want to be mobile on-site and not have to remove the lights. I would also like to be able to guarantee my work.

As for odor removal (not just masking) the huge number poor interior detail jobs, around here. Create the need to remove the odor left from damp carpets and seats. Plus it is something that could also be a stand alone service to those who clean their own cars.

Like I said in the past I have done these on my flip cars with OTC products and household stuff like vineger or baking soda.

I want to do it professionally but the info I have read on this site has my head spinning.

valspar, odor bomb, mineral spirits, alcohol, so2pure, stripper scent ..............................................I'm dizzy!

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you invest in the DrivePur system. I use it and NOTHING I have ever used before even closely compares to it. You can provide odor removal, and sell the anti-bacterial treatments, all in the same package. Plus the profit margins on the treatments are really nice. Many people do nothing but treatments for dealerships and private owners and make a living.

I just use it as an add-on service, but it has worked very well for me. High initial investment, about $1500, but if you want to run a serious business and offer professional service, spending money will be a part of it.

Don't do any pro headlight restoration, sorry.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I suggest you invest in the DrivePur system. I use it and NOTHING I have ever used before even closely compares to it. You can provide odor removal, and sell the anti-bacterial treatments, all in the same package. Plus the profit margins on the treatments are really nice. Many people do nothing but treatments for dealerships and private owners and make a living.

I just use it as an add-on service, but it has worked very well for me. High initial investment, about $1500, but if you want to run a serious business and offer professional service, spending money will be a part of it.

Don't do any pro headlight restoration, sorry.
    +1000. DrivePur not only works but has major upsell ability with very minimal chemical cost.

Sent via telepathy.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies - wish there were more.

Guess I will put this idea back on the drawing board for more research.