autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is needed to hire employees?

So I just got my first office building contract and want to hire an employee. I was wondering what steps I have to take to do this, what kind of extra insurance I need etc. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is needed to hire employees?

A few things that come to my mind are...

1. An E.I.N. (Employer Identification Number)
    2. Workman's Comp Insurance
    3. An Emplyee's Right to know center. Think Bulletin board near a time clock with federal minimum wage, OSHA information etc. postings in it.
    4. Full OSHA Compliance to include accurately updated MSDS books etc.
    5. A business accountant.
    6. A business attorney.
    7. PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to include various gloves, respirators, fall protection etc.

Big Brother don't make it easy on a Brotha.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact your local SCORE affiliate

Find a Chapter | SCORE

You'll probally even pickup a customer or two while you're there
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-25-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added link
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

1. Register your business and note that you will have employees. This will ensure you get reminders about quarterly tax reports and unemployment insurance, withholding, and other local benefit funds that you may be forced to deduct.

2. Setup an accounting solution and order checks with which to pay your employees. OR there are several services like ADP that offer automatic payroll processing. From what I have priced out it would be sort of ridiculous to buy this kind of payroll service for 1-2 employees only but it scales up rather inexpensively if you plan on growth and hiring more workers.

3. W4 forms for all employees hired.

4. Separate business checking account to fund your payroll account. Trust me it is just easier than pulling it out of the general fund because sometimes you never know how long it will be before they will cash their check.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. You could always just pay them cash, lol.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what the others have said you will also need to register for Unemployment insurance for the state of FL
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
    In addition to what the others have said you will also need to register for Unemployment insurance for the state of FL
    Will I be able to collect that for myself?

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

lol just get them as subs and pay them cash to start out. that way you dont have to get Workman's Comp Insurance
    on them. just put a ad on craigslist and you will get lots of calls.Some will be no good and some will be ok then some times you will get a real good one.All I am saying is try it out before you buy. I get mine for 1/2 year only then its slow down here and I go up north . snowbird

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    lol just get them as subs and pay them cash to start out. that way you dont have to get Workman's Comp Insurance
    on them. just put a ad on craigslist and you will get lots of calls.Some will be no good and some will be ok then some times you will get a real good one.All I am saying is try it out before you buy. I get mine for 1/2 year only then its slow down here and I go up north . snowbird
    A 1099 sub contractor is a good option but in NJ you would be required to pay employer share on some of the disability and wc. General liability insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    A 1099 sub contractor is a good option but in NJ you would be required to pay employer share on some of the disability and wc. General liability insurance.
    In TN you better make sure they are licensed too. Otherwise they will be considered employees

Post Thanks / Like

Max, Let me start with I live in California so your laws are probably a little different.
    But with that being said, we own a Staffing Agency. This is a great way to get your first employee. You should look around price shop vs what you will get. They can provide you with the employee or if you have someone in mind find an agency and ask for a discount as you will be sending them the employee.

They will cover the workers comp., taxes, unemployment, payroll, etc. Make sure they are responsible for all of that stuff in the contract. You will still need your own Liability Ins. for your Office,Workspace,Shop.

Make sure the contract has a clause about how and if you want to bring that employee on full time you can WITHOUT paying extra. With us this is usually 90 working days or 720hrs. Also make sure you don't have to take them on early in case you aren't ready.( You will need to do some homework on your states Work comp laws, and employee laws).

In California you do not have to have w comp on the owners. If you do your own payroll, taxes,w comp,etc. you can pay yourself as an employee and then if need be claim unemployment.

YOU WILL WANT TO CHECK YOUR LAWS AND TALK WITH YOUR ACCOUNTANT.

Be careful, as when you get your business license you may get a lot of people sending you all sorts of stuff saying you need this. In Ca. for example I was paying an out of state company $150 - $300 a year to register my bus. with the Secretary Of State and be the name of server. You can do this yourself for $25.

LIKE I SAID DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Hope this helps and Congrats on your new business.
    You must be a work a hillock, (just kidding) it is a lot of work but well worth the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast