autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

At what point did you decide to go ALL IN?

Good Evening AG's,

This is a very interesting question, because I would assume that experiences are different.

Do you remember the moment you decided to push all in (so to speak)? Please elaborate on the topic.

Thanks, Kieran

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: At what point did you decide to go ALL IN?

I do, when I looked at both of my cards and saw AA.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I am only detailing part-time I still consider myself "all-in" and cannot see myself getting out of the biz before I retire.

For me, I went all-in a little over 2 years ago. I convinced my wife that I needed to spend about $600 on detailing supplies that would pay for themselves in less than a month. I ended up with a carpet extractor, tons of MFs and various chemicals. This is before I was even doing any paint correction, just simple wash/waxes.

Shortly after I set up a website, ordered some business cards and got to work. My detailing business has steadily increased since then and I am constantly working towards making this my full time gig.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I'm all in. I work full time at the post office delivering mail. I have been doing that for the past 14 years. I started doing this as a "business" back in march. Part time only. Yesterday I did a car. Tomorrow I have an interior to do. I have a car booked for next Sunday and the Sunday after. I will try to book something for next Monday because its a federal holiday. By the time the snow flies I will have done about 35 cars. Not bad for just starting this year. I have no desire to do this full time because the post office pays pretty good. After I retire I will pursue this venture on a full time basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went all in earlier this year. My parents toyhauler was extremely oxidized. I though if I got some gelcoat polish from camping world, and an orbital polisher from autozone I would be good to go. Luckily I love searching things before I go all in, while searching, I stumbled across auto geek. That Saturday, I think I was reading on the forum for about 8hrs straight, finding out what products and machine would work best. I found out that an orbital a crap and picked up a GG6. I plan to one day start doing this part time while in college.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I went all in about 5 months ago . I was working a dead in job and in search for a new one , was looking on facebook and seen that a fellow co worker and friend that i had worked at a local car wash with for yrs bought out a mobile detailing business . So i gave him a call and he needed help had two vans and only using one . I gave my two week notice at my job and they fired me two days later . So i was on the boat with my friend renting out the van . This lasted about three weeks after i started then he decided to get out so i had the chance to buy one of the vans and business is growing and growing . What is funny is that i have worked at auto washes as mangers and as head detailer for yrs love washing and cleaning cars . And i have been researching mobile detailing for yrs so i knew what was needed and how to start out but i never had the finances to start a business on my own . So its like it was ment to be .

Post Thanks / Like

I actually would ove to go all in. I don't have the means right now but I'm really trying to put a game plan together. I dont want to do the usual set up like everyone else. My idea is to have a detailing place and kind of cafe or diner in one. A Place to get your car done and grab a good meal while u wait. I would luv to be able to do all the cars inside of the buliding like a big garage or bay. Florida is so hot and humid why detail cars out thre. I personally do mine at dusk then go into the garage to wax it. Just an idea for now..

Post Thanks / Like

Went all in on the day that I got a surprise layoff notice at the body shop where I was working. Of course, I started the business and still technically work -at- the same place, but now it's my gig and I clean cars as they leave the body shop on my schedule. Dropped 25 hours a week from my old work schedule, get to see my kid to the bus in the morning, and couldn't be happier.
    Enjoy Today,
    Andy M. Stevens

Regular Member Executive Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it was a no-brainer when I decided to go "all in". My first job I ever had in high school was detailing for a local mobile guy. My friend worked for him and got me the job there for some summer income before my senior year. I knew, as soon as I started there and learning more about detailing, that one day I would eventually run my business.

When I turned 21 (about 13 years ago), I bought my first set-up with the money I got for my b-day (trailer, water tank, pressure washer, tools, products, etc). However, I knew at the time that I didn't have the right skills to manage and run my own business. Besides, growing up, I was always shy and reserved. Had I gone out in the real world and tried to run a business, my lack of people-skills and business skills would've proved disastrous for me. Even though my ambition of, one day, owning my own business was definitely there.

In the meantime, my detailing work was done on the weekends for friends and family. Little by little, word was getting around about my services. Before I knew it, my weekends were spent doing what I loved to do. At the same time, my different full-time jobs helped me build the skills that would, one day, help me in my entrepreneur achievements. Ranging from: warehouse and stock management; inside-sales/customer service; and eventually to outside sales...I knew that not only would it help me with ways of managing my detailing business, but also gain the skills for meeting and talking with new people one-on-one. So, once I felt confident in myself as a businessman and a detailer together, I decided that it was about time that I get moving in the new direction I wanted to travel.

So, about 3 years ago, I bought an enclosed trailer, got a business name/logo, business insurance and a few more tools, put in my 2-week notice and took off. Now, my previous employer is one of my biggest accounts..along with a major food-chain's main office, local t.v. station, electrical supplier and a bunch of other personal accounts. Business is good!!!

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Jeremy Vizzi
    Executive Detail, LLC of Tampa Bay
    http://www.executivedetailllc.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post
    Good Evening AG's,

This is a very interesting question, because I would assume that experiences are different.

Do you remember the moment you decided to push all in (so to speak)? Please elaborate on the topic.

Thanks, Kieran

here you have it .... )

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-8-months.html
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com