autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Working out of a body shop question. Please help!?

Hello guys,

I've really learned to respect everybody's opinion on here and I need some advice.

I may have the opportunity to work out of a nice, respectable body shop in town, at a reasonable rental rate.

I'm currently renting a small shop but this will reduce my overhead by about 200-300 per month while also giving me a more visible location on a busy road. The body shop also has a nicer waiting area and office which my shop is lacking.

What do you guys think? Does anybody have experience working as a subcontractor out of a body shop or even a dealership?

Some issues I've thought of:

Chemical compatibility (may have to adjust certain chemicals and compounds to be body shop safe)

Insurance (may have to up insurance)

How to process payments

Everybody's opinion helps. Thanks so much guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working out of a body shop question. Please help!?

Body shops are typically very dusty. Willl your work area be isolated from the dust of the shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point. I know they have one or two bays that are separate. Hopefully I can get an isolated bay. I'll have to check into it.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have some info and experience that will help you. I used to subcontract in asn automotive shop. It may not be as dusty as a auto body shop, but it does get extremely dirty.

I'd have to say that subcontracting had for me much more pros than cons. Constant work and referalls being one of them. While the mechanic would the automotive either he or I would upsell for my detailing services. They're not using the automobile so it's super convenientfor the customer while boosting the image for the shop and it's work.

Your experience on the other hand may differ slightly do to the fact that people who bring there vehicles to a body shop are looking yo have dents removed, vehicles painted, etc... This may work out in your favor because the auto body tech can subcontract the work to you such as buffing freshly painted cars, sanding for orange peel and scratch removal along with interior work. In addition to interior work and waking the vehicle before customer pickup.

About the insurance, I didn't have to raise mine do to the fact that the shop had it's own and while I was subcontracting, my insurance would cover my work.

If you are not I'm a secluded bay then yes all your products have to be body shop safe, no way around that one.

You can process payments by either the shops current system or you do what I do and use square

One last piece of advice, keep all of your towel, and pads wrapped our covered all that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProDetail View Post
    You can process payments by either the shops current system or you do what I do and use square
    +1 for Square payments. So, so, so easy and convenient... Especially if you ever collect payments when mobile.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Square up is a very nice feature, but I decided to go with a different company after talking to my Chase business account rep. She hooked me up with the same kind of service but with a ONE time fee of ~$100 and zero % per transaction. Saves money over time.

Mike Phillips

Technically you're not supposed to introduce anything, which means any chemicals that could cause surface adhesion problems like Fish Eyes into a fresh paint environment.

Some shops care and some shops don't care and some shops are oblivious to the issue. Find out if they've ever done detailing at the shop before and if they have any issues with you using waxes and such. If they don't seem to care or don't understand the question that's your answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Technically you're not supposed to introduce anything, which means any chemicals that could cause surface adhesion problems like Fish Eyes into a fresh paint environment.

Some shops care and some shops don't care and some shops are oblivious to the issue. Find out if they've ever done detailing at the shop before and if they have any issues with you using waxes and such. If they don't seem to care or don't understand the question that's your answer.
    +1

Also, you may find that their office just wants a monthly invoice of what you've done. That's the way the body shop that I work with handles it. I give them 1 invoice every week and on the 7th of the next month, I get a check. Get ready to clean some wicked baked on compound out of the jambs!
    Enjoy Today,
    Andy M. Stevens

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to the owner today and gave him the business proposal that I drew up. He was very interested. He has a very nice bay that is detached and secluded from where the body work is being done. I'm really excited about the office and waiting area. It's very nice and will really be a good professional way to great my customers.

It has excellent drainage, water, compressed air lines, t8 lighting, heat, etc. This is a very reputable shop in Springfield, Mo. where I live. It's right on a busy street. I think this is going to be an excellent business move.

I already don't use any silicone products, and I use Meg's compounds and polishes which are body shop safe. I don't think there will be any issues with contamination.

I'll probably be able to get a nice sign out by the street which should really help get some drive by business and calls. I'm optimized online but I think this shop will help give me a strong presense in the community and may get people talking.

My main concern will be my regular business but may also do some basic clean ups on his client's vehicles.

He's happy because I'll be able to upsell pdr, major scratch removal, body work, etc.

I wish I had some pics of the inside of the bay to show you guys, but it's everything I need a more.

I think we are going to settle on around $500 per month for me to rent the space (which will save me money from my current location). What do you guys think of that price?

Post Thanks / Like

That's an amazing price in my opinion. Especially for your own secluded work area.
    Reputable body shop, busy location, and you sleazy have a base clientel. Spells a recipe for success if I've ever seen one
    Just whatever you do, don't lax on marketing your business. Even though tippy have all of the above keep marketing like you don't just to make to ensure your reaching the right amount of customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast