autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2 ripe sources for new detailing customers.

Source 1: Car dealers. Focus on independent, luxury dealers.

Smaller luxury dealers pay well and are more loyal.

I see a lot of detailers make this marketing mistake: they run in groups to the largest dealers in town, eventually undercutting until there’s virtually no profit to be had. They’re attracted by the volume that a large dealer that can offer, but later find little loyalty when the GM changes his mind or is even replaced. And there’s hardly any referrals to be had. The service department wants the customer to pay them for your work.

Another mistake: pitching the “value” lots. These are $2k – $10k cars with lots of miles and lots of dents, scratches, odors, stains, etc. Unless you’re new and need the practice, skip these dealers. They pay less per car despite the extra hours you put into them.
    The sweet spot is this: independent, luxury dealers that carry late model cars in the $15k – $40k range.
    Why independent luxury dealers?

• Easier work. Late model, high value cars usually have less severe dents, scratches, stains, etc.
    • Better pay. Independents usually make up for their lack of volume with up to 20% more pay per job.
    • Get paid on the spot. Almost all big dealers make you wait 30, 60, 90 days.
    • More referrals. Because they have no service department, they refer out dents, touch up, detailing–and lots of it–to their 100s of customers. And their buddies–who own dealerships, auctions, transport companies–too!

How to find them?

Craigslist! Search for cars for sale by dealer in the $20k – $50k range and you’ll discover them all. Call or stop by. Emphasize that you’re reliable, not that you’re cheap, and do a demo. Check in once a month. The day will come when their “main guy” doesn’t come through and you’ll get his call! Prove that you’re reliable and you’ll have his business…and his referrals.

Source 2: Service shops. Independently owned. Servicing luxury brands.

Detailers overlook service shops because they don’t serve up the “do-it-now” business that car dealers can offer. But if you make it worthwhile to their business, a service shop can be worth $1000s in high paying business…with no competition.

Like the dealers we discussed above, you want to seek out independently owned shops servicing high value cars (Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes).

Why independent luxury shops?

Audi, BMW, and MB owners want your services. Find them through their mechanic.

• No “corporate” red tape.. Midas, Firestone, etc. usually don’t encourage formal referral arangements, and certainly won’t allow you to advertise at the cashier’s counter.
    • Customers who spend. Their customers bought their cars partly as status symbols so they’re more likely to pay for optional services like detailing, PDR, or leather repair.
    • “Fresher” cars. Usually, high end cars live easier lives: fewer dents, fewer stains, and fresher paint…which all means less work for you!

How to get the business.

Send them work, and let them know it’s coming. Have your customers mention your name for a discount or a small bonus service. Do a few demo jobs for them…especially the owner’s car.

Once you earn their trust, you can profit in two ways. Set up a deal where you work on their customers’ cars at their shop while they’re being repaired. They get a 25% cut of retail prices. Or they simply hand over your card and personally recommend you to the customer.

One tip: post a stack of small flyers with photos of your work. Business cards get ignored. But something visually attention grabbing will start a conversation with the cashier, and many times lead to an appointment!
    Marketing 101: Think of yourself as a farmer.

You’ve got 5 crops:

• Reconditioners
    • Body shops
    • Suppliers
    • Dealers
    • Repair shops

Give them the adequate amount of water, each month, and they’ll yield profits. It helps to write them all down, write what they’re worth to you in sales, and water them appropriately.

...The latest from my pro reconditioning blog.

Robert Keppel

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the ideas. These independent luxury dealers need good detailers more so than other dealers because many buyers appreciate that show car finish and thorough cleaning provided by a solid detailer. I just recently detailed a Lexus GS350. The owner was very friendly with a guy who owns an independent high end dealer and referred me to him! Sometimes people beat those higher end cars up just enough that they need the TLC to make their value go back up. They are also willing to pay more as you said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about this the other day. There is a dealer that just opened in my area that only sells exotics and custom cars. I was thinking of stopping by and talking to them. I think they might be a decent lead and if nothing else maybe they could refer a few people to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 ripe sources for new detailing customers.

3000rpm very nice write up, nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write-up... You just made me look forward to this Monday. (my marketing day, not just a normal crappy Monday)

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I'd stay away from dealers period. I was in the car sales/finance/management industry for over 8 years and worked for many different brands. The one thing that rings true to every dealership (almost) is they're CHEAP. Always looking to save a nickle and charge $2 more. Not only that, many do their own in house "detailing", once again CHEAP.. they can hire 3-4 kids $7/hr to wash and wax cars. Dealers only care about the first impression looks, not necessarily the "details" and if a customer is picky about the details they can always fix it if needed. I let the 100's of other detailers out there lobby these dealers for business that pays $.25 for a $1 worth of work. Find a better niche for your business.. its out there. I've done 142 cars so far this month based on one single reason.. LOCATION.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    IMHO, I'd stay away from dealers period. I was in the car sales/finance/management industry for over 8 years and worked for many different brands. The one thing that rings true to every dealership (almost) is they're CHEAP. Always looking to save a nickle and charge $2 more. Not only that, many do their own in house "detailing", once again CHEAP.. they can hire 3-4 kids $7/hr to wash and wax cars. Dealers only care about the first impression looks, not necessarily the "details" and if a customer is picky about the details they can always fix it if needed. I let the 100's of other detailers out there lobby these dealers for business that pays $.25 for a $1 worth of work. Find a better niche for your business.. its out there. I've done 142 cars so far this month based on one single reason.. LOCATION.
    Wow. your averaging almost 8 cars a day. That is tough to do without any dealers feeding you cars. I have no experience with dealer cars because everyone says stay away. So I do.

I like the relationship I build with my retail clientele. I have only done 6 cars so far in August as I am only a part time detailer. If you provide a good service at a fair price people are more than happy to pay it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its not all details. There plenty of car washes mixed in there.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post

maybe its just the area i am in, but alot of dealerships around me dont have in house and the ones that do have 2-3 kids at min wage but takes them 2 days to do one car haha, that how i picked up my big dealership, i can do 4 of there cars in one day so it does save them money, and i charge them on average $100 per car, thats just spot cleaning carpets, and spray detailer wax. average in and out 2 hrs per car! i wont work for nothing, so i only work with the dealers that will pay decent

my shop personaly lives off stealerships! lol

Mike Phillips

Nice article Robert. It think his was also the first time you started a thread here on AGO and included your name besides just a link to your blog.

Quote Originally Posted by 3000rpm View Post

Robert Keppel

I've updated our forum roll call list to make it easier for myself and others to address you using your first name. Plus in my opinion, using your name with your articles adds credibility plus does a better job of branding "you", not 3000rpm.

Roll Call - What's your real first name?

Here's some related articles on the topic of branding...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

How to choose a name for your detailing business

Expose yourself for more business...

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Tips for using a discussion forum to reach more customers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast