autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Business License..??

any of you guys have one for your detailing business?? how about insurance??

I am a one man band currently, just starting off. Need to know what i NEED and what i can do without for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Business License..??

I have a business license. I have insurance also. License is cheap like $25 for a few years. Insurance is expensive. I paid like $860 for a year. It had to be paid all at once no payment plans.

Customers know the difference between a reputable business and somebody trying to see what they can get by without.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rusty, were did you get your business lic? But yes insurance is expensive but I paid a little more than that but bungee allowed me 3 installments.

I believe he was asking of you need a license to detail as you do to be a plumber or electrician... It doesn't hurt to be certified though, I'm in the process of becoming certified that way I may become bonded.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a member on AutoGeek.....yet. I do have a registered business in the state of Maryland. A business license is not required in this state. I do not have insurance....yet. I know that will be needed to cover you behind. Plus, clients with $100K+ vehicles will be more willing to do business with you if you're insured.

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Which insurance companies are good?

Post Thanks / Like

You apply for a business license at town hall. You need a license to open a business checking account. You need a business checking account to open accounts with suppliers and wholesalers. You need business accounts to build credit for your business. You need business credit for your business to expand.

So yes a business license is a good idea.

No there is no license required to be a auto detailer(like with a plumber or electrician) Anyone can call themselves a professional detailer. That's why there is such a wide range of "detailers" out there.

Post Thanks / Like

business license is required though to legally run as a business within the city though isnt it?

also dont you have to register federally in some manner

Post Thanks / Like

In most states if your going to do business as any name other than your own you need to file a DBA at your city or town hall.

Ex. If your name is Joe smith and you are going to get paid to clean someones car and you want people to say Joe smith cleaned my car. That's OK. No license required.

In my case my name is mike stefano but when I clean someones car I want them to say Afterglow RV auto detailing cleaned my car. For that you need to get a business license. The town or city needs to know who the person is behind the business name.

Post Thanks / Like

@Rustytruck, I agree with you but I thought all of that was put towards a buisness tax id?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been operating with my city with no official business license from the town. I'm registered with the state and have a tax id number and stuff.

I also have my own business checking account that I didn't need a license to open.

If I was to open a shop up in a dedicated location I'd definitely go to the town hall. But since I'm mainly mobile I am in a different town each day.

As far as insurance - Rusty - how the hell did you manage only $860 a year?!

I looked into insurance twice and the lowest I could get was $3,200 a year. That's for a $500k general liability policy and a garage keepers policy only up to $60k (which is a joke! I wanted it for up to $500k). My agent told me it was over $5k a year to get up to $500k.

Either way I'm running without insurance right now and I'm completely honest with my customer's about it. That being said I do need to just bite the bullet and pick up some insurance. Maybe some more shopping in due.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast