autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word-of-Mouth

Post Thanks / Like

Word-of-Mouth

I’m finding it frustrating to get my customers (steady & new) to pass the word out there about my detailing service. So far to date, every detail I’ve done the customers tell me how happy they are with the results. I tell my customers this is a “Word-of-Mouth” type of business and I would appreciate it if they could tell their friends about my service. They say they will gladly tell all their friends. I can understand the customer that rarely uses a detailing service maybe not passing the information on to others, but I don’t understand why my regulars don’t put the word out (only a couple do). Not sure if it’s an out of sight – out of mind thing. I always leave a couple of business cards in their car to pass out.

Anyone have any pointers on how to encourage people to spread the word?

Thanks,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I know exactly how you feel I am starting up my business since September of last year I have had a few great customers and not many referrals it's hard we're I live because I only get 4 months to detail no one cares when there cars is being snowed on every other day.

However I was invited to a customers party for the local Shelby club I hope that pays off

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Word-of-Mouth

Billand, It's about the same here when it comes to winter in Ohio, although I think your winters are worse.

When I talk to my customers about talking to their family and friends, they say oh yah, I'm sorry I forgot, I'll let them know. I actual had one customer tell me he doesn't what to share, so I'm available when he needs his car detailed.

Good luck on the Shelby deal!

Thanks for the reply,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky I guess because almost all of my business comes from word of mouth. It seems like a chain reaction. One customer leads to 2 more.

I do get calls off my website. People tell me they find me thru a google search. It seems that those Internet customers do lead to more referrals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I am trying to get a portfolio So that I can get some dealer business Lamborghini Ferrari Porsche. Etc. it's a hard business to be in when you have people doing what they call details for 100 bucks. We just have to that much better of a job and keep customers happy

Post Thanks / Like

Some do some don't. I don't ask them to but 80% of my customers tell me they will. Maybe about 10% of those actually do and I end up getting new business from it. I personally wouldn't tell them to. But it's nice when they do. I figure my work speaks for itself I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend once told me, "Dave, there's a heck of a lot more hundred dollar bills out there than there are $500 bills."

I started out as many of us here on these forums do, show car paint corrections on family and friend's cars. I had a little hand made sign that I put out in the grass each time I worked on a car. It said "Auto Detailing" with my phone number under it. I got calls and eventually learned the ins and outs of paint correction. I also got through the most mistakes back in those days, such as paint burns, rubbing the color off of interior pieces, getting streaks on leather because of doing things the wrong way etc. Good thing I wasn't passing out cards yet.

After getting a good bit of experience, I then started handing out cards and soliciting business ideas from other business owners. This led to the relationship that I have with the guy who told me about the $100 bills vs. the $500 bills. That led me to starting this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ng-masses.html

I was torn and all worked up about quality issues involving the use of fillers etc. This all led me to this article by Mike Phillips http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-squirrel.html

My friend was right and it made a lot of sense after reading Mike's article. I then went on a quest to find a glaze type of compound/polish that would actually remove some defects at the same time as leaving behind a filler so I could do a nice job quickly and not leave wool marks behind that would show up down the road after a half a dozen washes. This would be the product I used on the $100 details. After trying a few products that folks were recommending, I stumbled upon Mother's Machine Glaze from their Professional line and this product does what I needed it to do better than anything I have found to this day.

I offer a cheap detail that includes a quick but effective wash using a carwash industry cleaner and pressure washer, no clay, the car gets the exterior buffed using the Flex 3401 and Mother's Machine Glaze, a coat of UPGP, interior vacuumed with minor carpet spot removal, mat shampooing, wipe down dash, console and door panels, glass inside and out and tires dressed. This is my $100 quick detail and it takes a few hours to do a car. (Trucks, SUVs and Mini Vans are more)

I talk to all of my customers about detailer's clay and fillers etc. being up front and honest with them about what I feel is the right way to go about a detail versus what the masses want in a detail and then I give them a choice as to how they would want me to proceed with their car or truck.

I always ask them how they currently care for the vehicle and then ask them if they would be willing to take more time for caring for their own vehicle with better washing technique. Some are ready to drop $500 or more on an all out paint correction when I ask them this question. When they show no interest in changing their ways, I recommend the quicker detail with a few add-on services or upcharges such as carpet shampooing and interior protection products like Scotch Guard etc.

Most of my customers like the fact that I cater to their needs and that I would sacrifice earned money to make sure they got the package that would best fit their lifestyle. In all reality I am not sacrificing anything at all. In fact I am not only getting them back as repeat customers, but I am getting calls from their friends, family, neighbors and co-workers.

Some of my customers opt for the higher end work and then come to me more frequently for maintenance services.

It has taken me years to develop the skills both with detailing and with customer relations to handle things as I currently do.

So I'd say that word of mouth is a result of not only doing good work on the car, but also doing good work with the customer and being as diverse as possible as a detailer, offering good honest options that are dictated by the needs of each customer.

Just some of my thoughts and experience on the matter. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Like others said. I found advertising helps a lot. Facebook, Craigslist, newspaper and if you have a registered business and atleast liability insurence you can even get a sign to put out in front of where you detail. (even in front of your house). Word of mouth does help. I sometimes tell people of they refer someone they will get a percentage off their next detail. Kind of gives them some encouragement to actually tell others. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My Detailing Guys View Post
    ...I actual had one customer tell me he doesn't what to share, so I'm available when he needs his car detailed.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave makes great points regarding the $100 vs $500 bills. If I may add, joining a local business group will do WONDERS for you. Find a small business group that relies on referring each other and trust me you will be working. I was really slow until my exterminator asked me to join his group because they didn't have a detailer. When April rolled around I was busy every weekend. My last detail was supposed to be Monday but I got a call the same day for a wash/wax/swirl correction for next Monday.... If they keep calling, I'll keep working as long as they have a space for me in cold weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast