autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down From Hero To Zero In 3 Seconds Flat

So a friend of mine calls and says he picked up a scratch going down 3/4 of his rear quarter panel. I tell him I'll to stop by and see what I can do. As soon as I could see the scratch I knew polishing alone wasn't going to fix this situation, but I tried anyway (mainly to show him it wasn't going to work as he insisted it would)

I follow that by wetsanding using 1500 grit followed by 2000 then 3000. Turns out PERFECT!!! Then he shows me where a couple of nibs of trash are stuck in the paint right along the edge of the door. I tell him how dangerous it is to sand along an edge, but he pumps my EGO up by telling me how AWESOME I did at removing the scratch. I bit the hook and ended up sanding through the paint and now my life SUCKS!!!

The lesson to this story is don't let someone talk you into something when it doesn't feel right to begin with

If Ida just....
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Hero To Zero In 3 Seconds Flat

I'm really sorry about that. Thank's for sharing though. Hopefully this will help others from doing the same.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    So a friend of mine calls and says he picked up a scratch going down 3/4 of his rear quarter panel. I tell him I'll to stop by and see what I can do. As soon as I could see the scratch I knew polishing alone wasn't going to fix this situation, but I tried anyway (mainly to show him it wasn't going to work as he insisted it would)

I follow that by wetsanding using 1500 grit followed by 2000 then 3000. Turns out PERFECT!!! Then he shows me where a couple of nibs of trash are stuck in the paint right along the edge of the door. I tell him how dangerous it is to sand along an edge, but he pumps my EGO up by telling me how AWESOME I did at removing the scratch. I bit the hook and ended up sanding through the paint and now my life SUCKS!!!

The lesson to this story is don't let someone talk you into something when it doesn't feel right to begin with

If Ida just....

Sorry to hear this...

Been there done that before and learned to go with my instincts...

But... that's how we all get experience.

Post Thanks / Like

When you come to the fork in the road take it!

It happens to all of us....sigh!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

hope it just sucks because you feel bad for not following your instincts and not b/c your friend expects you to pay to fix it now...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D~ralliart View Post
    I'm really sorry about that. Thank's for sharing though. Hopefully this will help others from doing the same.
    Hopefully my mistake will help someone else. Everything in me told me to leave those nibs alone, but as usual, I didn't listen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sorry to hear this...

Sorry its happened to you before to, but it does make me feel better. At least it wasn't my car I ruined. Friends are alot easier to replace then cars lol

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    When you come to the fork in the road take it!

It happens to all of us....sigh!
    Which way am I suppose to go when the fork approaches?

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    hope it just sucks because you feel bad for not following your instincts and not b/c your friend expects you to pay to fix it now...
    No, actually he wants me to sand the entire car down now. When we were removing the scratch, you could clearly see a tremendous amount of orange peel being removed as well. That particular area looks like a mirror now compared to the rest of the car
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Flash, sorry to hear that but that was good you shared your experience. Got any pics? Every time I ignore that voice it bites me in the a s s. It apparantly doesn't like to be ignored...that's why I know the voice is female, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sorry to hear this...

Life lesson # 104,345...... you gain the necessary level of experience to make a sound decision immediately after you execute the decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Flash, sorry to hear that but that was good you shared your experience. Got any pics? Every time I ignore that voice it bites me in the a s s. It apparantly doesn't like to be ignored...that's why I know the voice is female, LOL.
    Female voice huh?!?!? I don't listen to anything my wife says, so maybe you're on to something

I didn't even bother taking any pics. I can't figure out how to post them and I already have 3 memory cards full for when I do. Its a real pretty car though

Again, hoped this helps someone else from ruining someones paintjob like I just did :/

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection we make an imperfection.

The same thing happedened to me no too long ago. My Buds Roush Stage 3 Vert got scratched by his daughter. The scratch was on the fender near the lip, I went from least to most aggressive and ended up burining the paint.

I felt like #### but whaddyagonnado, you learn from your mistakes. Any detailer that tells you he never messed up a car is lyning and I wouldn't trust him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast