autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: College Student Summer Side Job

again if you are thinking of keeping the carpet cleaner. Optimum Power clean is great to use for tires, degreaser, interior, and pretty much anything that needs cleaning. Optimum Leather Protectant is good for everything in the interior- dash, door panels, vinyl, trim, leather seats. definitely dont cheap out, but products like these are great. check out reviews on autogeek forums. you definitely did not price yourself too high, not even close, not in my opinion at least.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Folex on carpet - requires no rinsing, doesn't damage carpet, easy to use, and easy to find.

Nothing award winning but here is an example of using it by hand:

Before

After

There are many, many examples of Folex on here that trump mine. Especially when teamed up with the Bissell Little Green Machine.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rwright ^^^ those are some great and convincing before and after photos.

I have updated my list of products and tweaked my packages

Meguiars Ultimate quick wax = 10$ 16oz
    All Purpose Cleaner + =12.95
    Hyper Wash = 20.95
    Glass Cleaner Concentrate = 14.95
    Last Touch Spray Detailer = 15.95
    Hyper Dressing = 33.95
    Leather Cleaner Conditioner = 26.95
    Smooth Surface Replacement clay (3) = 18.95
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Paste Car Wax (16$)
    Folex (carpet upholstery) = 15$
    ShopVac (estimate 100$)

Total= 211$

Throwing in about30$ for applicators, microfiber towels, and brushes
    I do have buckets and a power washer!

Interior: Car:50 Suv:55 Truck:60
    *these are estimates. Changes will be discussed with owner prior to detail
    Vacuum thoroughly
    Clean windows.
    Dust Dash and Console.Deep clean dash, console, and entire interior.
    Apply protection to dash and console.
    Clean and Condition all leather.
    Shampoo all Carpet
    Clean and protect all vinyl

Exterior:Car:50 Suv:55 Truck:60
    Hand wash with Ph neutral soap using two bucket method & dry exterior
    Clean wheels and wheel wells
    Dress tires and wheel wells to restore shine.##
    Remove tar and bugs.
    Dress exterior trim.
    Apply quick Wax (about* a month of protection)

Premium Detail: Interior+ Exterior Car:90 Suv:100 Truck:125

EXTRA:
    20-30$ Apply one coat of Yellow high quality Meguiars Carnuba Paste Wax by hand (About* 3 months of protection)
    25$ Engine detail- clean, degrees, and protect (dress) your engine
    20-30$Claybar treatment to remove embedded contaminants from paint and glass such as fallout

Any other suggestions? Does anyone think this is to much of a risk for a college student to be investing this money with no known clients?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rolop6 View Post
    my 2cents don't buy the xpress wax, super degreaser, or me guitars carpet cleaner.
    My opinion is meguiars ultimate quick wax. More expensive but it is soooooooo much better and works 50% easier. The APC you have at full strength will also be a good degreaser and Folex is a great carpet & upholstery cleaner. At $15 a gallon it is worth it. If you still insist on the xpress wax let me know I hate it and have basically a new gallon. Just my opinion
    Ummm, X-Press Spray Wax (D156) is virtually the same thing as Ultimate Quik Wax (just a different scent), as confirmed numerous times on the Meguiar's Online forum (here's one such post). Perhaps you're confusing it with X-Press Liquid Wax, which is a different product?
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fandango777 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin and iv been quite the lurker here for about two months learning everything so im just gonna dive right in...

Im a college student who will be headed back home to chicago this summer doing some clinical research, volunteering, and taking some night classes so id love to make some money detailing. After being overzealous about the possibilities of detailing iv come back to reality and realized I cant go in to the business guns blazing. Iv settled on the fact that I don't really know how many customers I could have and that the ones I do have will probably want basic packages for their DD with little to no paint correction. I am very hesitant to go out and buy products not knowing how many cars I will have the opportunity to detail so I want to buy the least amount of products possible. Iv come up with the following list which does not include a DA to keep the startup coast down...

(gallons)
    X-Press Spray Wax = 25.95
    All Purpose Cleaner + =12.95
    Super Degreaser =12.95
    Hyper Wash = 20.95
    Glass Cleaner Concentrate = 14.95
    Last Touch Spray Detailer = 15.95
    Hyper Dressing = 33.95
    Leather Cleaner Conditioner = 26.95
    Smooth Surface Replacement clay (3) = 18.95
    Meguiars Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner= 2(4.95 each)
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Paste Car Wax (16$)

Total= 215$ + 100$ for Shopvac (can't find a decent looking one on craigslist with at least 5hp)

Throwing in about 40$ for applicators, microfiber towels, and brushes
    I do have buckets and a power washer!

All comes out to about 355.00$$$$

I have come up with the following packages and prices....

Interior: Car:50 Suv:55 Truck:60
    Vacuum thoroughly
    Clean windows.
    Dust Dash and Console.Deep clean dash, console, and entire interior.
    Apply protection to dash and console.
    Clean and Condition all leather.
    Shampoo all Carpet
    Clean and protect all vinyl

Exterior:Car:50 Suv:55 Truck:60
    Hand wash with Ph neutral soap using two bucket method & dry exterior
    Clean wheels and wheel wells
    Dress tires and wheel wells to restore shine.##
    Claybar treatment to remove embedded contaminants from paint and glass such as fallout
    Remove tar and bugs.
    Dress exterior trim.
    Apply quick Wax (about* a month of protection)

Premium Detail: Interior+ Exterior Car:90 Suv:100 Truck:125

EXTRA:
    20-30$ Apply one coat of Yellow high quality Meguiars Carnuba Paste Wax by hand (About* 3 months of protection)
    25$ Engine detail- clean, degrees, and protect (dress) your engine

Overall: Do you think I should go into detailing this summer? Im mostly worried about finding customers but I do live in a very well off neighborhood so I may be just over worried. Any suggestions on tweaking stuff like products, packages, general advice....

Happy to be a member of AutoGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Ummm, X-Press Spray Wax (D156) is virtually the same thing as Ultimate Quik Wax (just a different scent), as confirmed numerous times on the Meguiar's Online forum (here's one such post). Perhaps you're confusing it with X-Press Liquid Wax, which is a different product?
    Thank you for all the advice. I will for sure enter into the pricing that it can vary depending on the state of the vehicle must have just slipped my mind when trying to organize things and type it up.

Iv decided that I will probably remove the degreaser sense APC+ at full strength apparently will do the job. Im hesitant to remove the carpet/upholstery cleaner (I talked about it in a previous response to another user) As far as replaying the hyper dressing and leather cleaner/conditioner with one product I'm a little hesitant. Iv heard some fantastic reviews about how I can dress practically anything in hyper dressing wether it be the dash, tires, or general paneling inside the car. As far as the leather cleaner/conditioner I don't want to cheap out to much as I feel a more dedicated product would do a better job but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I may raise my prices after I get a feel for what people are willing to pay. My greatest fear is to not have any customers because I have priced myself to high. At the same time I need to make money so I will be flexible with raising prices as I start out.
    @Umi you are right, I have Xpress liquid wax and it is horrible!!
    @fandango777 I know you are worried about price right now but in my opinion it's better to price high instead of low. I have been doing this business for a little while now and I get the calls saying THATS ALL, FOR HOW MUCH! But there are also those who say WOW, IT'S VERY AFFORDABLE! IT LOOKS LIKE NEW. If you price it too low, you will work hard and have very little profits to cover your expenses. I don't even undercut people because I won't make any money by doing that. You have to see it as if you have a shop, with rent, electricity, water, garbage, employees,taxes and other expenses. So if you do decide to go full time you won't have to jack up your prices so drastically that you will loose all your customers. By selling your self too low you will get those customers that will never get satisfied and want everything for nothing. Trust me I've been there and had to adjust. Set a fair price to what other auto detainers are charging. Don't sell yourself short, I know others that do "hand" washes for $10. But I charge more than double and still get customers. Don't sell yourself short, it will hurt you in the long run!
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo
    "Like" us Facebook.com/AlchemyAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you need to spend a $100.00 for a shop vac. I purchased a $20.00 one from Lowes and it picks up everything It is also small and could be used for blowing the dust out of the car. You are only starting out as parttime why not build up some cash first. You could always sell the small $20.00 shop vac on craigslist or throw it away at the end of the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be concerned with "risking" $300 of your hard earned money. Just buy the stuff, set your prices and put up a facebook page and you'll make your money back in the first week. If it crash and burns, you'll still have a bunch of product and equipment that you can sell on CL and make most back. Even if you don't make any money and lose your ass on it, compared to the wealth on knowledge you'll gain from having opened a business and having 'failed' at your young age is well worth the amount you're investing.
    I say go for it and don't look back, and kick some ass.
    My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the huge shop vac for 40 or 50 bucks from home depot. 5hp wet or dry and blows out. It's more poeerful than the Supervacs st the gas stations.
    And no not really I havnt had trouble getting customers. After seeing my work I get so many referrals. People are blown away with the results I produced. I'll post a thread with some pics I took of the cars I did over spring break all in one thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rolop6 View Post
    @fandango777 I know you are worried about price right now but in my opinion it's better to price high instead of low. I have been doing this business for a little while now and I get the calls saying THATS ALL, FOR HOW MUCH! But there are also those who say WOW, IT'S VERY AFFORDABLE! IT LOOKS LIKE NEW. If you price it too low, you will work hard and have very little profits to cover your expenses. I don't even undercut people because I won't make any money by doing that. You have to see it as if you have a shop, with rent, electricity, water, garbage, employees,taxes and other expenses. So if you do decide to go full time you won't have to jack up your prices so drastically that you will loose all your customers. By selling your self too low you will get those customers that will never get satisfied and want everything for nothing. Trust me I've been there and had to adjust. Set a fair price to what other auto detainers are charging. Don't sell yourself short, I know others that do "hand" washes for $10. But I charge more than double and still get customers. Don't sell yourself short, it will hurt you in the long run!
    agree, since fandango I think at least your interior price point is low. your wash is on par to what I have listed and is typical for a wash n wax from a car wash establishment in my area. It can make it easier to set prices that are similar to a couple of local car wash establishments where you can do a better job. That is how I was able to start tweaking/finalizing my prices. Also to follow the point of not selling yourself short etc, if clients might not bite initially/ or are not familiar with me already and my car (my quality work) I can always knock off 5 bucks or so off a wash, as a first customer discount, so that when I do a good job on their vehicle they realize the justified price. So you can always do something like that as well. Think like a consumer, it is more appealing to see a a reduction in price of something (regardless of initial cost), then to see an increase in price (if you decide you are selling yourself short and increase your prices).

Any other suggestions? Does anyone think this is to much of a risk for a college student to be investing this money with no known clients?
    there is no real risk, besides, you can always buy products that you would use on your own car. For example I will be using the same products I already use for my car, on the customers vehicle. So I am not buying anything additional, just using what I have stocked.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi dear!

I would suggest you to do online jobs at your home in order to make some decent amount of money from it. While doing online jobs, you will getting projects to complete so when ever you are not in mood are busy in other educational activities, you can refuse to work on.

Since there are many types of freelance and some own business opportunities for students to make some extra money. I am also a student and were looking for online jobs that college students can do, i found a blog post at The Best Online Jobs for College Students in 2015 where i had got many types of jobs that i can do.

So without boring you here (as i've no more experience), i would suggest looking at this blog...

I hope this helps you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast