autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Adding Detailing Service to our Auto Shop and hiring a Detailer?

Hello all,
    I've been lurking for awhile and just recently decided to register and participate. Sorry for the wordy intro!

I run an auto repair shop in San Diego, CA where there is quite a bit of competition in the detailing market. (This is a small location with about 6 service bays, and most of the space is outdoors)

I don't want to go mobile, since I really can't. Most of my time is spent with our repair customers. When we are slow I offer detailing by word of mouth (I like to do it), and have the customer leave the car for a repair and in the evening I will detail the car.

My idea is that we begin to offer detailing to all of our customers. Ie, you drop off your car for brakes, service, and full detail. I could also use this as a marketing tool. ("get your car fixed & cleaned at the same time" etc)

The only thing I am worried about is time constraints and would like input about potentially hiring detailers down the line. I am great at hiring skilled mechanics, but hiring and paying a detailer is still a little gray area. I would like to do a lot of the detailing myself, but I hope in the future we have enough detailing business I can justify keeping a detailer on board. In this line of business though, I feel that any good detailer will want to branch out and run his own business.

Should he have his own tools? (I am in the process of purchasing professional equipment) What about pay: Hourly? Per Car?

Most of the detailing would be Production detailing, we also sell about 15 cars at a time and the newly purchased cars always need detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding Detailing Service to our Auto Shop and hiring a Detailer?

First of all, Welcome to AGO. I think that it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamsImport View Post

, you drop off your car for brakes, service, and full detail. I could also use this as a marketing tool. ("get your car fixed & cleaned at the same time" etc)

The only thing I am worried about is time constraints
    Nothing like having an hourly paid employee sitting around waiting because the parts supplier is running behind. Or waiting due to the fact that the wrong part was delivered, thus lenghtening the repair window. Not to mention the 'by the job' employee- who is sitting idle because he was called in and another repair issue surfaced, and needs to be addressed. All in all, I think that you have a great idea.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=AdamsImport;620557]Should he have his own tools? (I am in the process of purchasing professional equipment) What about pay: Hourly? Per Car?
    [QUOTE]

I would only hire someone who had their own equiptment. Otherwise you will be responsible for taxes and workmans comp

To get anyone worth a crap you will have to pay at least $20 an hour (if not more) If I were you I would pay the detailer 75% and keep 25%

Welcome from Memphis!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea, once you get all the kinks worked out.

The only issue I see is space constraints? Will the detailer have a dedicated area, that is clean, out of the elements, with good lighting? Will he have A/C of some sort in the hottest summer months? Storage space for the detailing tools and products?

Its a great idea, will take a little while to fully pay itself off, but as a value added service it really is a great way to stand apart from the competition.

I do believe that the majority of the people that will want their car "detailed" while at the shop just want it clean inside out, and shiny. They don't have a clue what a swirl mark is, nor do they want to pay someone to get rid of them. "Make it shiny and give it back to me!"

[The good news is those cars can be banged out in an hour or two, and don't require a large amount of products.]

Let us know how it all works out for you!

Note- one other good thing about it is you'll have someone on site to fix screw-ups. Mechanic accidentally scratched a fender? Grease on the carpet or seat? You'll have additional ways to correct these issues if you have the tools on site to take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys, I am waiting for my Cyclopolisher to come and a bunch of chemicals. Already have a few detailing jobs scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, once you get all the kinks worked out.

The only issue I see is space constraints? Will the detailer have a dedicated area, that is clean, out of the elements, with good lighting? Will he have A/C of some sort in the hottest summer months? Storage space for the detailing tools and products?

Its a great idea, will take a little while to fully pay itself off, but as a value added service it really is a great way to stand apart from the competition.

I do believe that the majority of the people that will want their car "detailed" while at the shop just want it clean inside out, and shiny. They don't have a clue what a swirl mark is, nor do they want to pay someone to get rid of them. "Make it shiny and give it back to me!"

[The good news is those cars can be banged out in an hour or two, and don't require a large amount of products.]

Let us know how it all works out for you!

Note- one other good thing about it is you'll have someone on site to fix screw-ups. Mechanic accidentally scratched a fender? Grease on the carpet or seat? You'll have additional ways to correct these issues if you have the tools on site to take care of it.
    Since I have two locations, I think I would keep some supplies for Production Detailing, (Quick Vacuuming, Car Wash, and dressing) at our main repair site (with not a lot of indoor space.) The detailer would have room to safely store all of the tools, and the dedicated spot (occasionally shared) would have some kind of reclamation system (inspectors got me quick about water). As far as A/C in this location...only a good fan!

In our other location, I'd like to keep all of the other detailing tools. An extractor, buffing/polishing, paint touch up, etc. That would be an Indoor building with excellent lighting and good ventilation.

I will see what the deal will be with hiring a fulltime detailer, but most likely he will have to be able to do simple jobs while waiting for big detailing jobs. (if he is hourly)

I will keep you updated after I purchase a few more tools ( for myself) and get our signage up and running..

Very excited.