autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much do you guys charge to wash boats?

How much would you guys charge per foot to wash a boat? Just a wash, no buffing or waxing etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much do you guys charge to wash boats?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWax View Post
    How much would you guys charge per foot to wash a boat? Just a wash, no buffing or waxing etc.

i never did one , i saw one today , the client wants only interior : metal bar light polish , seats , inside the seats , dash and the carpets. no wash or polish or wax.
    i was thinking in a range of $200-$400 , should take me 5-6 hours ....
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any set in stone prices but I think you gotta be a little more specific. we talking washing the hull only (like on blocks in a boatyard) or washing the interior only, or both

is this more of a maintenance wash? or a 'spring cleanup' where the boat has been covered for a couple months in the winter and got mildew & gross stuff?

Ton of variables I haven't even addressed. Cosmin kinda hit the nail on the head though. Assess the job and customers expectations. Get an idea in your head how long you think it will take you (go generous with the estimate to be safe) then multiply that by the hourly rate you typically make for auto work (I'd go a little generous again just because boat owners I think are used to paying a bit of a premium - sorry to all the captains in the room)

also consider some craigslist searching. see what other guys in the area charge (probably will be a wide range). shoot for something in the middle to upper range of what you see. don't be the cheap guy, you're better than that. good luck
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

At the marina where I keep my boat they charge $250 for a pretty close to complete detail. I have an 18.5 foot boat, and they will wash, wax, clean floors, all seats, all metal and put UV protectant on all vinyl. I think that is pretty good price as it takes me all day to fully detail it and it's just a pain in the butt to do. Now I have a pontoon boat so there is no real hull to clean and they do not polish or put anything on the pontoons but they do wash them.

Post Thanks / Like

Your going to get yourself in trouble charging a flat fee. Try using an hourly rate instead
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Your going to get yourself in trouble charging a flat fee. Try using an hourly rate instead
    Yes that or take a look at the boat then offer a flat fee.... I would not let my marina do it if they said it will be $40 an hour and I have no idea how long it will take but I can guess for you.... because I have seen them move and it might take 24 hours!!! It's always nice to see what you are up against anyway, I have heard people say... oh my car, no it's not really bad, just needs a good vacuum, then you get the mini van and realize she has five kids and their is enough food on the seats and floors to feed them for a month! People never give you the full story when telling you what you are in for...
    Always nice on bigger jobs to take a look first or give a quote but tell them you will give final price when you see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, started the thread and then I didn't really clarify. I was curious what you guys would charge per foot to do just a regular wash and dry for the entire boat, hull and deck but no interior. Assuming the boat isn't so dirty that it requires getting really down and dirty, just a maintenance wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to revive this. I have a guy wanting just an exterior on a 29 foot Sea Ray. I went to look at it a couple days ago and it's pretty oxidized. I did a couple test spots with some m101 and he was really liking the results. The thing is ive never done paint correction on a boat and dont know what to charge him. Also wondering if its necessary to clay the whole thing first? He also wants the metal rails polished and obviously the paint sealed also. Any suggestions on how I should go about pricing this? I know a lot of shops price by the foot. Wondering if I should go that route or an hourly rate instead. Thank you in advance for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Either charge by hour or sqft

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done a few boats and what i have learned is to charge by hour. You never know what you run into

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast