autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to approach customers with Exotic cars?

Hey guys, so here's my question. Where I live there is one guy who has a Blue Ferrari F430, another guys who has a Blue Ferrari 458 Italia and another guys who has a Green Lamborghini Gallardo. I've seen them in the drive way a lot and seen them driving them around. I really want to get 'in' with these customers but how? Really soon, I'll have brochures, stationary materials, envelopes, shirts, business cards, etc. all with matching logos. I think it'll look really professional. How should I approach these guys? Should I look at their address and mail them something? I would feel weird just knocking on their door but should I do that? Also I'm only 22. I know I'm capable of doing a good job but I feel like some people aren't comfortable handing their super expensive cars over to "some kid". If anyone has any input that would be awesome! Thanks guys!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to approach customers with Exotic cars?

Just be professional and be yourself you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would approach them casually, like if they were outside with the car. Then introduce yourself and talk about the car, ask if you can see the inside and such. Don't jump right into a sales pitch. Just a friendly casual conversation, then maybe ask who maintains the car and end with a line like "I clean cars (on the side, as a hobby, etc.) and would love a chance to help you out some time as a learning experience for myself". If you have a card then leave it so they can contact you if they are interested, don't be pushy. Be polite. I'm sure you will get better responses from people who work on exotics, that's just my stance since I don't see these types of cars.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

what are you driving? Above all have your car as clean as possible. You can't expect to pull up with dirty van and have these people give you a chance.
    just my opinion.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark58 View Post
    what are you driving? Above all have your car as clean as possible. You can't expect to pull up with dirty van and have these people give you a chance.
    just my opinion.
    2007 Toyota Corolla CE . . . its a BEAST lol
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I would approach them casually, like if they were outside with the car. Then introduce yourself and talk about the car, ask if you can see the inside and such. Don't jump right into a sales pitch. Just a friendly casual conversation, then maybe ask who maintains the car and end with a line like "I clean cars (on the side, as a hobby, etc.) and would love a chance to help you out some time as a learning experience for myself". If you have a card then leave it so they can contact you if they are interested, don't be pushy. Be polite. I'm sure you will get better responses from people who work on exotics, that's just my stance since I don't see these types of cars.
    I'd be careful about saying "...as a learning experience for myself..." as I would want someone who knows what they're doing working on my paint, not someone looking for a learning experience.

Otherwise, create a rapport with them. Show them you're genuinely interested in their car, ask questions, as people that own these types or cars generally like to talk about them. Then slowly lead into that you own a detailing company...but whatever you do, don't sound desperate for them to give you a chance. Don't think these people are giving anyone a "chance" when it comes to anything involving their precious vehicle. Also, be careful not to insult the current condition of the vehicle, as you don't want to end up insulting the potential client if they are the ones currently maintaining it. But if they ask you to tell them what you would do, inspect the car and let them know.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do don't go rattling their door

You say you see them all the time in your driveway? This must mean you live close by? I would mail them a brochure along with a hand written personal note explaining you live in the area and would "love" the oppurtunity to work on such an incredible car!

I would also keep your brochures/business cards in your car in case you run into them somewhere while you out running around

Be humble yet confident
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exotics are almost all I do nowadays and I NEVER approach these customers... However, it did not start out that way. I detailed almost every jalopie (Urban Dictionary: jalopie) in town. I had one customer that had a rather nice Escape I had detailed on several occasions. Very nice guy, lived in my neighborhood and tipped me every time. One day he called me up long before he was do for a touch-up and wanted me to come over to look at another vehicle he had... Well, it was a 1952 Jaguar XK120 Roadster. Guard red, beautiful car. Had been to the Concours D'Elegance as well as several other shows. Anyway... I wound up doing the Jag for him and he was so impressed at my attention to detail, he gave my business cards to some of his friends and I just kept getting calls from these other people to detail their high-end cars.

I don't think anyone can really "start out" focusing on high-end or exotic cars unless you have an impeccable reputation. Just do good work and the money will follow. If I can emphasize anything, ALWAYS WORK ON YOUR REPUTATION.
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

best advice is watch him for a week and see what time he goes to work and comes home... and when he is not home wash his car for him...he will come home surprised his car is shiny and clean that he will wonder what happen...don't tell him you did it but keep doing this for a year, then after that tell him it was you who has been cleaning his car, so he will know that you are awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    best advice is watch him for a week and see what time he goes to work and comes home... and when he is not home wash his car for him...he will come home surprised his car is shiny and clean that he will wonder what happen...don't tell him you did it but keep doing this for a year, then after that tell him it was you who has been cleaning his car, so he will know that you are awesome
    If there was a LIKE button, I would've hit it!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast