autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Offering Non Detailing Services

I think there are 2 sides to this coin. I am a huge advocate as far as someone focusing on one thing and being very good at that vs someone doing several things and only being average. I even noted that on a different thread, I only mention that because I do not want someone to think I am being hypocritical about the statement I am about to make.

When I lived up north, I saw a lot of landscapers do snow removal in the winter to keep their income coming in. This is just a guess, so correct me if I am wrong, but I wonder if during the winter months if a detailer would have a little more free time that would allow them to venture off into something slightly off the beaten path to accrue a little extra income. If you are worried about people seeing that you do multiple things, get a second business license and separate name?

Just a thought...?
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_10 View Post
    I think there are 2 sides to this coin.
    So true......with todays economy you have to do what you have to do!

My day job is construction( when we get to work,temp lay off right now and it dosen't pay crap) and my night time job is cars.I've been around the auto repair industry my whole life....it was my income for many years.

I detail cars because I love it...I fix cars because I have to( pay bills)

Winter time brings me some awsome vehicals to work on......garage queen's ,show cars and restorations my main focus on these vehicals are electrical,( complete wiring harness etc.)and getting back into the detailing part is really helping.

The point I think I'm trying to make is if YOU can offer something(service) that someone is looking for and make a few bucks doing it,then I say GO FOR IT! (whether detailing has anything to do with it)

Just my .02 worth....
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
    Apparently, a lot of the high dollar marble and granite countertops require maintenance, just like a painted surface.

I've been told the steps, in passing, but I haven't done any further research on it.

(Just wanted to throw that out there)
    Dupont's Corain countertops can be maintained and even resurfaced using many of the supplies and skills we already possess. In addition, many motorhomes and rv's use this stuff for their countertops, so there is a crossover back into the automotive world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I can somewhat understand why some of you may think offering other services besides detailing may not look good but the way I think of it is that us detailer's should be the most knowledgeable people when it comes to polishing/restoring just about any surface. Most of us buff and polish all kinds of different surfaces including single stage paint, clear coat, glass, clear plastic, other hard plastics and all kinds of metals. All I'm saying is that if there's a surface that can be restored by polishing we should know how to do it and if we do, then why not offer it to our clients?

If I saw a detailer that offered acrylic aquarium polishing I honestly would think this guy must really know how to polish just about anything. I can't really see myself thinking he must be a crappy detailer because he can do more than detail cars.

That's a great idea about the counter tops btw. I would have never thought of that but it makes sense. I'm gonna look into it. My plan is to have a page on my website strictly for "at home services" or something along those lines. To me it's just another way to please my clients and offer something different in this growing industry. If I have the skill to clean or restore something better than the average person can because of my detailing experience and products then I see only good in doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Not using your buffers but what about offering pin stripes & laying down wider stripes like the Shelby stripe kits that are sold for Mustangs and similar for other cars. Most people would not have the eye and skills to do this correctly. Would also involve prepping the paint so the vinyl would adhere properly. Same with window tint. And if you really have the skills and want to branch out installing body kits to tuner cars. Just some 2am thoughts.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

If you have skills to do other things, then it is only a positive. Branching out in the business world only gets you in trouble if you go beyond your skill set or spread yourself too thin that you neglect things. That's the classic area where companies fail; because they start buying up companies not related to their core competencies or get too big and then they fall. Where I work, we do sheet metal. Our core capabilities revolve around fabrication of the metal. What sets us apart from a lot of our competitors is that we are a one stop shop. Not only do we fabricate, but we can powder coat the parts, assemble, etc. And we also partner with other businesses that do tube bending, stamping, and we even have a partner in China for low cost manufacturing of high volume work.

Post Thanks / Like

I say do anything and everything that you have the ability to. Heck, I even put up Xmas lights every year for some of my clients that live up north. They come down a week before the holidays and it's all ready, that way the don't have to do anything. I've done light yard work and moved furniture for a few clients while they were having their houses renovated while out of town also..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12