autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking opinions, ideas, and encouragement.

So, I've been lurking on this forum for some time now and considering starting a mobile detail business. Not long ago, I was discussing business ideas with a co-worker and the "light bulb" went of in my head. I thought I had a brilliant idea: A mobile detailing service. Little did I know that there were already many people engaged in this kind of business. I started researching the idea, which lead me to this forum, and I've been reading post after post ever since. I live in a small east Texas town about 80 miles east of Dallas, TX. The population of the town is about 15,000. No one currently offers "mobile detailing". There are a couple small detail shops already in operation, but they don't really market themselves, therefore I may be able to compete.
    I've pretty much got my shopping list all planned out, just waiting on getting the funds together to start. Here is my current list.

5'x8' utility trailer
    4000w champion getnerator
    35 or 65 gallon water tank
    Karcher electric pressure washer
    Canister vacumn/blower
    MC 1275 steamer
    porter cable da polisher
    all the misc. supplies that goes along with detailing.

I plan on utilizing the ONR wash and offering services from simple washes to KISS "details" with minor paint corrections, as well as headlight restorations.

I work full time Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and can afford not to make a lot of money while I'm trying to grow my business. I'm thinking that in the beginning I will offer 1/2 services in order to get a clientale built up and just to get my name out there. Maybe setting up in a local shopping center parking lot and offering headlight restorations for next to nothing, just enough money to cover supplies maybe.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who has contrubuted to this forum, I'm impressed that so many people are willing to share information and even "trade secrets".

Mike Phillips

Re: Seeking opinions, ideas, and encouragement.

Since this was your first post to the forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

We love seeing lurkers transition to participating members...

Quote Originally Posted by shinexpress View Post
    I work full time Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and can afford not to make a lot of money while I'm trying to grow my business.

I'm thinking that in the beginning I will offer 1/2 services in order to get a clientèle built up and just to get my name out there.

Maybe setting up in a local shopping center parking lot and offering headlight restorations for next to nothing, just enough money to cover supplies maybe.

I'm guessing the 1/2 services means half-off your normal price for your services?

Couple of recommendations...

Don't under value yourself especially when you're first starting out.

It's always easier to lower your prices than it is to raise them so don't handicap yourself right at the start.

More important, people don't appreciate anything given to them for free. Seriously. If someone gives you a free hat how much does it mean to you? If you purchase a really nice hat with money your earned, then chances are going to be very good you'll take care of the hat.

Set your prices and stick to them, instead of building a client base built up of cheapskates, build up a client base of quality customers.

The most important thing you can do when starting out is learn to match your services to your customers. Too many people start out in this business trying to do show car detailing for customers that simply want a clean car. They don't want to pay for a show car detail and it wouldn't be the right service to them, their car and how they treat the car after the work.

Read through this article, it explains the above in detail...

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the reply and the advice. I did mean 1/2 off what I would normally charge for the service. I will actually most likely target clients wanting "wash and waxes" and "production details". I don't see myself seeking out "show car" detail jobs anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

How's that for encouragement?

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

Good luck on your new venture and some great learning would be detailing the exterior and interior of your own and friends vehicles.

Prior to advertizing put together a few packages escalating in specific services from a basic wash, interior, and glass to a more complete correction, seal, and wax.

This link contains articles written by Mike Phillips and has allot of great reading within.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Here's some great information that will help you if you need it.

I prefer to put my own package together.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by shinexpress View Post
    I appreciate the reply and the advice. I did mean 1/2 off what I would normally charge for the service. I will actually most likely target clients wanting "wash and waxes" and "production details". I don't see myself seeking out "show car" detail jobs anytime soon.
    There you go... that's where the consistent, month to month money is. You also want to get as many of your customers signed-up for a monthly maintenance program, that is after you do the initial detailing on their car you come back once a week, twice a month or once a month and wash and wax it on the outside and do a quicky vacuum and detail on the inside.

The maintenance detail is fast and easy in most cases because you've already got the car restored to like new condition.

It's the monthly maintenance program that's going to provide you with a consistent income from month to month. Your goal is to sign up enough customers so that 70% to 80% of your clients are regulars. That leaves you open the rest of the time for special interest vehicles, (show car detailing if you want to do it), or for non-regulars or first time customers that will become regular customers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The maintenance program is something I plan on incorporating. I'm thinking of trying to "sign" people up after an initial detail for a monthly basic wash service and to sweeten the deal I would do a more in depth detail every 6th month at the same price as the basic maintenance wash.

Post Thanks / Like

4000w generator seems like a lot (30+ amps at 120v). If you are going solo and don't plan on using more than one power tool at a time, you might be able to get by with a smaller generator like 2500w (20 amps) - enough to run a DA and shop vac at the same time. Would likely be smaller, lighter, and use less gas.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the job is getting the customers. How are people going to find you?

Suggestions:

1. Make a free website on webs.com.
    2. Advertise on craigslist
    3. Introduce yourself to every automotive business in your area (body shops, repair shops (euro/import give the most referrals), tint shops, stereo shops, auto parts stores).
    4. Nothing wrong with a little dealer work to get your process down.
    5. Find car clubs. Do the president's car for half off. If he likes you, he'll refer you.

I'd slow down on equipment purchases until you really know you have a viable part time business.