autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Member Executive Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paying your helper?

You can also hire help thru a staffing agency. I don't mean call the place and have them send just anyone over to help. I had a friend work with me for a while and I had him go thru a staffing agency, the agency sent me the bill, and that's all I had to worry about. They took care of the taxes, Worker's Comp, etc. I use the invoices for my taxes (business right-off). Easiest way to go.
    Jeremy Vizzi
    Executive Detail, LLC of Tampa Bay
    http://www.executivedetailllc.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a helper come with me along for jobs. I have received clients that wanted to help me do their car, just for something to do, and it was fine. When you do hire someone, it might be great for your culture to call them "team members" instead of helpers. - Dave Ramsey. But as far as hiring him. Consider if he has a passion for serving and detailing cars. That is what will drive him to do a phenomenal job. If he only does it for money, then it'll just be a "job" and not a passion that he gets paid for. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

If you find a helper that is as qualified as you are and he is helping you knock out more then one job at once pay them comission based. I pay my helper 30-40% of the total bill 50% goes to me and 10% goes to supplies, fuel, rent, ect. alot of times I get stuck on the phone talking to clients booking appointment ect and I cant be working and on the phone at the same time. So having a helper is great and it save me alot of time.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freekin Kleen View Post
    You can also hire help thru a staffing agency. I don't mean call the place and have them send just anyone over to help. I had a friend work with me for a while and I had him go thru a staffing agency, the agency sent me the bill, and that's all I had to worry about. They took care of the taxes, Worker's Comp, etc. I use the invoices for my taxes (business right-off). Easiest way to go.

Great idea. You know however that there is a cost to this method. The agency needs to make a buck

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Paying your helper?

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    If you find a helper that is as qualified as you are and he is helping you knock out more then one job at once pay them comission based. I pay my helper 30-40% of the total bill 50% goes to me and 10% goes to supplies, fuel, rent, ect. alot of times I get stuck on the phone talking to clients booking appointment ect and I cant be working and on the phone at the same time. So having a helper is great and it save me alot of time.

The problem with this is that a client generally want you do the work. When you let a helper do more than just help it changes the nature of the service. It become more commerical than professional. I come to you for your work I would not want your helper doing most of the job. He is not my choice

Post Thanks / Like
    I make more money having a helper. As you statted, running the business takes time away from the job and it's nice to have them there. I won't pay my helper much because she's a compleat noib but she'll clean the heck out if the interior, she listens and shows up on time.
    As far as customers go. Mine don't care who's wirking on their car, as long as it gets done. And my helper really only does tge interiors.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Paying your helper?

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post
    I make more money having a helper. As you statted, running the business takes time away from the job and it's nice to have them there. I won't pay my helper much because she's a compleat noib but she'll clean the heck out if the interior, she listens and shows up on time.
    As far as customers go. Mine don't care who's wirking on their car, as long as it gets done. And my helper really only does tge interiors.

I agree that the way to increase your profits is to increase your volume and have employees do the work. That is called leverage.
    However, I will not pay the same fee to have an employee do the work as I would the boss, especially when I come to the shop based on the skill of the boss. I would say that if the helpers does clean- up and minor stuff, that is ok, but once the helper become the detailer I would be gone as a customer. Except, of course, if the help was a great detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post

Same here they start by helping wash and clay the car while I am polishing he is tackling the interior
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input fellas! This was some time ago that I had posted this. I was thinking of having who was going to be the future father in law (not sure if he will be my future father in law anymore LOL!), and I gave him the chance and tried training him. I started by showing him with the interiors first because I had a lot of interior details at the time and he failed miserably and even after going through everything on a step by step basis.....he still found the need to cut corners and that's a no no in my book. I also did a few exteriors washes with him and on the first one he did Solo.....he did not meet my expectations. He had been looking for work at that time and eventually found a job (thankfully) so I did not have to tell him that he was fired. LOL! I've been riding solo until now and I feel that it is going to remain that way for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
    Thanks for the input fellas! This was some time ago that I had posted this. I was thinking of having who was going to be the future father in law (not sure if he will be my future father in law anymore LOL!), and I gave him the chance and tried training him. I started by showing him with the interiors first because I had a lot of interior details at the time and he failed miserably and even after going through everything on a step by step basis.....he still found the need to cut corners and that's a no no in my book. I also did a few exteriors washes with him and on the first one he did Solo.....he did not meet my expectations. He had been looking for work at that time and eventually found a job (thankfully) so I did not have to tell him that he was fired. LOL! I've been riding solo until now and I feel that it is going to remain that way for a while.
    I think you hit an important point. If someone is willing to learn, and does a competent job, they can be a great asset. If you have to babysit them and keep them from making careless mistakes, it will not be worth it in the long run.

Everyone will need training to start with, but after a certain point they should be trusted to do at least a good to really good without having to constantly check on them.

Even after they get good... always check anyway. They are not the pro, you are.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12