autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer saying we damgd car -- opinion please

I made a pdf of the form last night, Still cant upload it to the web. Anyone interested pm me with your email and i will send it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    I think I would take a measuring tape and measure the height of the curbs where this was to have happened and measure the clearance of the bumper to see if it was even possible that one of your guys could have done the damage.

Then I would try to talk to the customer and show him the facts, be sure to take your camera.
    That is a great idea! Talk to the GM. See if he saw the damage and see how he feels about the guy. Refuse to pay and tell him you did not do it, he is a liar, and he cannot prove that you caused the damage and he reported it a week after so legally he cannot prove that you did it and it was not caused by something else. You have your fellow workers that can all swear that you/they did not do it. So its not just his word against yours. Also there should be scrapes and damage or paint on the alleged curb. Point out the lack thereof to him. He is like a bully. If you dont stick up to him he will keep taking your lunch money.
    2012 cls550
    2016 g550
    Carolina Classic 32

Post Thanks / Like

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I only do famliy and freinds cars so I can't advise on the business side of that but do run my own business and I always get specifics in writing from clients as I have been burned due to vagueness in the past.
    On to the OP's issue, if I may ask where is the CC located? I live in a gated community built around a golf course and country club, no I do not play. I know very very well what goes on and the attitudes of folks leaving and belonging to private clubs. I'm a social member so I get to see them in all their after glory. I've personally seen this year one member in a drunken stupor drive right over the curb across the lawn leading to the driving range and blame the club due to lighting, saw a lady two weekends ago pull right up to a curb stone and bump it and then gas her car and go right over the damn thing. I would strongly suggest you measure the curb in question and the car if you can get access to it and document those measurements in photos. If there is any doubt I would speak with the GM since he is the only witness the owner has and explain to him while you repsect the club's intentions and the ability to provide a service to the membership and explain why youbelieve your emplyees did not do this. If he is insistent even after being presented the facts you can effectively kiss goodbye the account and discontinue the business relationship and let the legal systems haggle thru it. Bottom line no one witnessed the actual event, the GM only saw it after it was pointed out to him and the customer took possesion of his vehicle(I would assume at that point it was under his control) and he did not inform you until 3 weeks later. There is a weekend detailer at the club by me but it seems to change all the time as far as person or company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    $720 would buy you a brand new bumper from the dealer with a markup and have it painted by a body shop. I find it odd that they would charge over 10 hours to fix a minor blemish like that.

Unfortunately regardless of if you did it or not, you are at fault since you can't prove that you didn't do it. You could refuse to pay, but I would assume that would mean you can't work at that golf course anymore. I would tell the guy that you will have it fixed, but you will get an estimate yourself. Just my .02

This really goes to show that you should do a walk around with the customer before you start working on their vehicles, and then have them sign some paperwork.

On an unrelated note, if you aren't making enough to pay yourself you either have too many employees, are paying them too much, or not charging enough for your services. Sounds like you might need to step back and take a look at all of that. No reason to work that hard and not have something to show for it.
    I completely disagree with you on this point. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof falls upon the plaintiff. Especially when they're coming back 3 weeks after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticAutoDetai View Post
    Here is your answer. If he DID NOT stated the damage the same day you performed the detail job or at least the next day to you not the GM, then you are not responsible for whatever he may be complaining about. I guarantee you a lawyer is not even needed if it was to go to court. A simple check up list can be design to be signed by the owner before doing any work. Something I learned at the dealership. If I find the slip or remember how the check list goes il pm it to you. Hope everything works well.
    100% agree!
    Last edited by SRTSean; 08-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

whatever came about with this?
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Another good reason to do a walk around AFTER the project is completed. You can show off what you did and show the condition of the car when it leaves your shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    whatever came about with this?
    +1

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456