autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Normal psi for standard water hose?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you not want to use your pressure washer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bshattuck87 View Post
    When I was looking at the Lowes website, they also had small pressure tanks for sale.

What is the pressure tanks purpose and how would it attach to that pump?
    In simple terms, when flow through the hose ceases, the pump builds pressure in the tank. Once the presure in the tank reaches a certain point it causes a relay to open shutting off the pump.

You'd need a pump tank tee'd to the output of the pump. One side of the tee going to the pump the other side going to the hose. You'll also have to find a way to tap into the pressure side of the pump for the 1/8" line going to the pressure switch. Of course, all the pump electrics are wired through the pressure switch. Most pumps that are meant to do this usually have a dedicated port for the pressure switch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Anderson View Post
    Why would you not want to use your pressure washer?
    I don't want to run the risk of burning up the pump. Since I'm just getting into this, I need to make sure I have a back up (pressure washer) and I would much rather use just a garden hose set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan b Detail
    Thanks for that link! I don't know why I didn't think about that, since it's a rather commen part on a boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you get a 12volt on demand pump from sureflo? this way it is independent from any generator so you don't need to run the generator while you wash the car, it runs off your car battery. That is the way I have it set up and it works awesome!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...detail+trailer

Here is a link to my trailer set up with the 12v pump to the water tank so you can get an idea of how mine is done
    David

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    Why don't you get a 12volt on demand pump from sureflo? this way it is independent from any generator so you don't need to run the generator while you wash the car, it runs off your car battery. That is the way I have it set up and it works awesome!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...detail+trailer

Here is a link to my trailer set up with the 12v pump to the water tank so you can get an idea of how mine is done
    Wow, that looks awesome. The only thing I would be worried about with the 12v set-up, would be killing the battery. BUT, I could wire up a dual battery set-up with a selector switch, and just switch to battery #2 only while the truck is sitting and just run the pump off of that. Then when I go to start the truck, switch it back to battery #1, start the truck, then switch to both batteries so the truck will charge both of them.

GREAT idea though!

Post Thanks / Like

A little late to the conversation here, but what about a t after the pump, and an adjustable cracking pressure check valve on one of the t sides with a second hose rerouting water back to the water tank?

You can find adjustable pressure check valves with cracking pressures from 2 or 3 psi to much higher than the 40psi of the pump in question.

I have not tried it myself, but I am fairly sure that it would work like this.
    When the water is flowing out of the spray nozzle, you would have a lower pressure inside the hose than the cracking pressure of the check valve. Therefore, no or very little water would return to the holding tank.

When the water is not flowing out of the spray nozzle, there would be a higher pressure inside the hose, than the cracking pressure of the check valve. Therefor, water should flow past the check valve and back into the holding tank.

This would lower the deadhead pressure inside the hose to what is chosen for the check valve's cracking pressure.

You will just have to find how much cracking pressure is needed.
    This can be done by placing a pressure checking gauge where you intend on placing the check valve and observing how much pressure is inside the hose when the spray nozzle is fully open.

Choose a check valve that has a cracking pressure that is a few psi above what the water pressure is inside the hose, while the spray nozzle is fully open.

Your local plumbing supply house should be able to provide everything you need (a check valve with a proper cracking pressure and proper size connectors, an extra length of hose, and a t with the proper size connectors.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12