autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time frame for details

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    When I started using this

It cut at least one hour from the time frame of a full interior detail. I pre treat spots and stains then give the entire carpet a light misting of Folex and quickly go over the entire carpeted area with the Cyclo spending more time on the tougher stains. Do a quick vac them spray down a misting of water and re vacuum to rinse some of the Folex out them finally rub a microfiber towel over the carpet to make it look evened out.

It might sound like a lot of steps but it takes maybe a total of 30 minutes on a four door car and trashed interiors come out looking like this.

Yep, Love my Cyclo

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it, there are posts on AG where guys are talking about detailing a car in 7+ hours and charging like $125. How are you making any money? Do you have a shop and you have guys that are doing 3+ at a time? I'm not trying to flame anyone, just want to know. If I'm spending a whole day on one vehicle I'm at least getting $300

Post Thanks / Like

I'll spend on average 3-5 hours on just doing the interior, so to add a quick wash, clay, wax to the outside, I could easily be in the 7-8hr range. Though I don't clay unless I plan to polish too.

Interiors requiring certain stain removal will take longer as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    For me, it takes about 5-7 hours for cars ($180) and 7-9 for vans and suvs ($220) inside, out and engine. That's wash, clay, sealant, wheels/tires, trim, windows, shampoo interior, clean/dress vinyl, clean/condition leather, degrease engine. I charge extra for more than light tar, tree sap, paint overspray, extra soiled interiors, etc. I charge $40/hr for buffing and wet sanding. I'm part time and have been charging money for about 5-6 years.

I get virtually all my business from Craigslist. Put up a nice clean ad, links to your website, and have quality before/after pics and you will get customers. Don't charge too little (if you do quality work) because you will scare people away. I have some of the highest posted prices on Craigslist in my area and I stay busy. My clients are frustrated with the lack of quality with high volume shops and come to me to have the owner doing the work.

All that said, I used to take a couple days on a full detail and charge like $80, but I had no insurance, no extractor, no steamer, only a DA, limited tools and limited knowledge of chemicals. It takes a lot of practice to do it right under 8 hours in a standard job and that's if you have the right tools. My extractor and steamer changed everything.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about daily drivers. I'm not talking about show car work that can be much more intensive. Evaluate the customer. I talk to them about their goals to match the right package to their vehicle. I'm not buffing out a car that will go through the cloth wash next week!
    this is the same way I do it and priced the same more then any one in my area. but they love the work and I never ever feel as if I didnt do it wright becuse of money. The real money maker is the wash and sealer only jobs 1hr in and out.I have a bar next to my shop and they go there for 1 hr and its done.I charge 50.00 for that my cost is about 6.00 . just wish i had more of them lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    My last detail took 22 hours and it didn't include interior.......You have to focus on the customer needs and charge accordingly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123