autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time frame for details

That sounds more like my "express"package. About 1.5-2 hours for wash/wax/tire dressing/windows/vacuum/interior wipedown and dress. $60-70, depending on the size. It's meant for in between "full" details with claying, shampooing, etc. Just introduced it this year and have had ONE. Most jobs I get involve paint correction, oddly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    The inside usually takes me about 4+ easy..
    Yep. Shampooing is very time consuming. Especially in the Spring around here (MN) trying to get salt out and not have it reappear when the carpets dry.

I also really work at getting all hard surfaces perfectly clean. I use steam a lot.
    Last edited by dnoraker; 07-17-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I haven't done many, but it seems that is my time. I'm not really sure what I should do to make it faster, but the same quality. It seems carpeting takes 2 hours and wiping everything down with APC takes at least an hour or so, but I don't know why..

Post Thanks / Like

Besides paint correction, cleaning upholstery, carpets, leather, and all the surfaces takes the longest. Anywhere from 1-4 hours depending on the condition.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the extractor, a couple tools knocked a lot of time off my interior jobs- a $100 Wagner steamer I got at Lowes and my Metro Vac N Blo portable vacuum ($189 at AG). The vacuum is very powerful and has a ton of attachments for getting into just about any space. Once I vacuum, the steamer is indispensable for the console area because it liquifies all the beverage residue. No more wiping over and over, using a ton of soap that has to be wiped off as well. I do still use some soap, but I sometimes use he steamer like a "rinse cycle", especially on steering wheels and arm rests. Everything feels new and clean. I get a lot of compliments on that stuff because most detailers don't get it right. And it's fast!

Above all, having a process written out that's efficient is critical so you don't do things twice or miss spots. I used to randomly go through the interior until I stopped finding dirt. Not effective.

Post Thanks / Like

My last detail took 22 hours and it didn't include interior.......You have to focus on the customer needs and charge accordingly.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

man, after over 25 yrs of detailing,it takes me about 4-6 hrs,wash,wax interior. i rinse the engines off as i wash. it it needs buffed,extra tar removal,clayed,etc,thats extra.same for extra interior work. used to do 3 a day if i had the work,now its 2.but with this heat wave,its 1 why do a lot of that stuff if it doesnt need it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can do a wash, dry, wheel cleaning, interior wipe down and dressing on my daily drive car in about 1.5 hours. On the cars I have done for friends and family with one step polishing and sealant with some carpet cleaning usually needed, it takes a minimum of 5 hours and more like 8. That is part of the reason I don't do this for money. I do it for stress relief from the day job. I have total respect for you guys (and gals) who make a living at this.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started using this

It cut at least one hour from the time frame of a full interior detail. I pre treat spots and stains then give the entire carpet a light misting of Folex and quickly go over the entire carpeted area with the Cyclo spending more time on the tougher stains. Do a quick vac them spray down a misting of water and re vacuum to rinse some of the Folex out them finally rub a microfiber towel over the carpet to make it look evened out.

It might sound like a lot of steps but it takes maybe a total of 30 minutes on a four door car and trashed interiors come out looking like this.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually charge $125-$175 (car-SUV) on a polish and wax/sealer, and that's if it's not too bad which takes me about 4hrs. 3 Stage is obviously more tme and money. Tack on another $50 for inside, which is about another hour. To be honest, I make more money going to a business park and washing 20-30 @ $20. I up sell inside shampoo's @ $30 and make appointments for details for earlier in the week. The business parks are good for Thur/Fri which I can pull in about $1200-$1500 in two days. Details are Mon-Wed.
    Last edited by gumbedamit; 07-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast